Whole Foods: Tilapia Sale (1/14 Only!)

Looking for an inexpensive, tasty way to kick off healthy meal solutions in the New Year? Well, Whole Foods has the solution with a great buy on tilapia tomorrow, January 14th. For one day only, Whole Foods Market will have fresh tilapia on sale for $4.99/pound – that’s nearly half off its everyday price! This is the perfect fish for adults and kids alike as it is sweet and mild.

If you do decide to snag some tilapia tomorrow, consider some of these yummy recipes…

* Tilapia Tostadas
* Baked Southwestern Tilapia
* Broiled Tilapia with Parmesean and Herbs
* Broiled Fish with Shiitake Red Rice Pilaf
* Broiled Tilapia with Citrus and Herbs

What do you think….does your family like tilapia? If so, do you think that this is a stock-up price?

• cjs says:

(Ya mean January 14th?) :)

• CouponsrGreat! says:

Anyone know if it is farm raised or Wild?

• Heather says:

my amazon paper order was cancelled.. boo hoo… o well

• missdeally says:

I’m so spoiled. I usually find tilapia for $2.99/lb. Granted it’s farm raised, but…

• Lpmousse says:

I love tilapia. I get mine at Aldi (a grocery store owned by the same company that owns Trader Joe’s) for $5 for a pound an a half. It’s frozen, and can be thawed easily.

I like to pan fry mine- a little oil in the bottom of a frying pan, coat the fish with flour, and then whatever spice combination you’d like (I use garlic lemon powder). 2 minutes on each side, and eat piping hot. Yum!

• CJ says:

Yup, Aldi’s frozen talapia is great! I just poach mine in a bit of water and sprinkle with paprika and garlic pepper seasoning. Its great for fish tacos.

• Jennie says:

I also love Aldi’s tilapia! I usually thaw it overnight, than spread either miracle whip or low fat mayo on it than cover it with extra crisp shake n bake and bake it at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. It’s a family favorite!

• Brandy says:

It may be the same store that owns Trader Joes but the quality of their food and the chemicals ahem ingredients used are sub-par. IMO.

• LAHenson says:

It is farmed raised :( I am a wild caught kind of a girl!

• jareds_butterfly says:

Tilapia makes GREAT fish tacos. I was super scared to try them but find a good recipe and they are wonderful!

• Chocochick says:

Wow, we have a Whole Foods in our area, but the local stores sell it for anywhere from 99. lb (a really good sale price) to $2.99 a pound, does anyone know if its organic?

• Nancy says:

I work for WFM and I got this from our website:

The difference is that WFM knows exactly where the farmed seafood comes from, where it swam and what it was fed…and more importantly, what it wasn’t fed!

WFM has the strictest standards in the industry for farmed seafood and only Whole Foods Market’s standards prohibit added hormones for farm-raised tilapia.

Whole Foods Market’s Quality Standards for Aquaculture prohibit the common industry practice of using the hormone methyl testosterone to reverse the sex of tilapia. Conventional tilapia producers prefer to raise only male fish so that the fish put their energy into growth rather than reproduction and grow to a larger, more marketable size. Learn about our farmer partners and how they grow fish the old fashioned way: They let the fish reproduce naturally and then separate the males and females by hand and raise them in separate ponds.

• Anonymous says:

Great post Collin — thanks for the recipe tips!

• Ann Dee says:

I love tilapia and think it’s ridiculous to buy it at a restaurant when you can make it at home for so much cheaper. They are so mild in flavor you can almost do anything with them. I just bake them with whatever spices or garlic and alfredo. Easy and yummy. Not sure what a great price point is but I don’t like to pay more than a couple dollars per serving of meat. So maybe a dollar per fillet? Not sure what that is per pound…

• Sherrie says:

We love tilapia (even my 2 year old). I have found that I perfer the “loins” to the “filets” I alwas stock up at my grocery store when it goes on sale for $5.

I like to pan sear them in butter and garlic salt or season all.

• stacy says:

I am scared of Tilapia watched a special on how it was raised. And saw that farm raised they eat fecal matter. Don’t know if that was verified or not. But now I don’t want to eat it.

• Kari says:

I think its $2.99 a pound at food lion this week

• Kristen says:

That seems really expensive to me, but then again, Whole Foods generally has higher prices than anywhere else. I’d consider anything under $3/lb to be a stock-up price.

BTW, my favorite way to eat tilapia is seasoned with kosher salt, pepper and Italian seasonings, then sprinkled with garlic and drizzled with sesame oil, baked at 350 for half an hour. Yum!

• Nancy says:

Whole Foods is higher because of their processes and standards. I work at Whole Foods and I don’t buy everything here but I do buy the beef, shrimp and fish in addition to milk and eggs.

• Amanda says:

My 24 hr. Fitness order was cancelled. Anyone else?

• ljmar31 says:

Wow it must really depend on where you live cause I have NEVER seen Tilapia for cheaper than $4.99/lb! We love it! I have a great breading recipe that you pan fry which my MIL loves and my hubby has his own recipe that he grills…way better!!

• Anonymous says:

tried the WFM tilapia just 2 weeks ago and it was fantastic! At $8.99/lb (I think) we only got 1/2 lb so I could make baby food with it…but my 3yr old ate it all! We can afford the whole lb at this price :)

• Anonymous says:

fyi Went to Winco yesterday and Cherrios are at $1.39 at my store so with my 1.00 off it was .39 cents there was alot when i went. Hope other WinCos also have the deal for you guys.

• sheila says:

Anyone know whether its fresh or previously frozen?

• SimplySara says:

For people concerned about where this fish comes from, you should check out “Seafood Watch” sponsored by the Monterey Bay Aquarium. They have a downloadable list that you can carry with you to the store and to restaurants.

The list advises on sustainability, gives recommendations and rates country of origin for fish. In essence, the list for Tilapia says farm raised from the US is best, second best is from Central/South America and to avoid fish farmed in China/Taiwan.

I’m sure the large variance in prices has to do with where it was caught.

• Kate says:

If you do not mind frozen…Dominick’s in Chicago area has $5 Fridays which included various family savings. They have 2lbs. of tilapia for $5 (limit 2)and they also have Guinness bottled beer 6 pack for $5, an Safeway SELECT Artisan Strawberry Bistro Cake 1/8 sheet for $5, jumbo poms 18-stem flowers for $5 and Primo Talgio Pan Roasted Turkey, Black Forest Ham, Munster Baby Swiss or Provolone cheese for $5/lb. It is a Safeway store but I am not sure if all Safeways do this or not…or if they have different Friday deals.

• rblondish says:

I think the safeway price is a stock up price. I am going tomorrow and I look forward to trying some of those new recepies. I really like the idea of tacking on some recepie ideas to sale/stock up item. Thanks Collin.

• Mitch says:

I’m waiting for the fried chicken sale for 1 day only on Tuesday!
    thanks

• Pat says:

As Simply Sara stated avoid fish from China, Tiawan, etc. I saw a documentary that showed all the horrible chemicals they use that are retained in the fish. When someone says ‘ hey you can’t use that”, they just switch to another horrible one. Only U.S. fish for me and fresh if possible. Costco has amazing fresh salmon when it’s in season. No added pink color like the farm raised ones.

• Jaime says:

Orrrr….Save an animal, and go vegetarian!
    Sorry! Just had to :)

• Douglas Campos says:

Good morning: it is possible to get a whole foods market tilapia farming quality standards
    Regards