Skippy Peanut Butter Recall (Select States Only)

On March 4th, Unilever announced a limited recall of Skippy Reduced Fat Creamy Peanut Butter Spread and Skippy Reduced Fat Super Chunk Peanut Butter Spread, because it may be contaminated with Salmonella. The product was distributed to retail outlets in Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Wisconsin. Please note that NO other Skippy products are affected by this recall; and to date, no illnesses related to this issue have been reported (The recall was initiated as the result of a routine sampling program by the company, which revealed that these finished products may contain the bacteria).

The affected product, which is packaged in 16.3 oz plastic jars, is as follows:
* UPCs: 048001006812 and 048001006782 (located on the side of the jar’s label below the bar code.)
* Best-If-Used-By Dates: MAY1612LR1, MAY1712LR1, MAY1812LR1, MAY1912LR1, MAY2012LR1 and MAY2112LR1 (Stamped on the lid of the jar)

If you have an affected product, here’s what you need to do…
* Discard the product immediately and call the company for a replacement coupon.
* Contact the company at 1-800-453-3432, which is operational 24 hours a day, for information on the recall. In addition, a consumer services representative is available Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 AM and 6:00 PM EST.
* Click here for more information.

** Salmonella is an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.

• HSmom says:

Thanks, Collin. Checked my stash… we’re good.

• Lorrie says:

Thanks for the info Collin! I’m from California so not affected but I do have lots of Skippy in my pantry right now. Nice to know it is ok. So glad Unilever has been proactive on this.

• Krista T says:

THANK YOU for posting stuff like this! I don’t actively keep up with recalls, so I like when someone brings it into my closed-off world. (Checked and we’re ok too!) :)

• tfortman says:

thank you so much for this information! I checked ours and it does have the UPC code but the exp. date is for June. I am still not sure if I should keep it?

• Christina says:

Thanks for posting this, Collin. You are so very thoughtful and I greatly appreciate how much you not only save everyone money, but share important concerns as well. You’re an incredible mother!

• Karen1985 says:

I had affected peanut butter, hadn’t even opened them yet, so no chance for sick kiddos. Unilever is sooo quick on these things, any hint that anything might be wrong and they yank them off the shelves. All you had to do was a leave a message with your shipping address. They didn’t even ask for verification of UPC’s, best by dates, etc etc. I would think they would want some kind of proof that you actually bought them, oh well. Over all very quick easy process to get some replacement Qs. In the meantime I may run out of chunky peanut butter….hubby will not be happy haha

• Heather says:

We have a lot of Skippy peanut butter but none of the reduced fat variety. Phew. Thanks for posting!

• melissa says:

Does the jar have to have the UPC AND the expiration date, what if only the upc matches but the expiration date is different then the ones listed?

I tried to call but you have to leave a message

• Nicole P says:

That WOULD happen after everyone got cheap or free Skippy in the past months!!! :) Hope everyone is ok!

• Heidi says:

Thank you so much Collin for posting this! I am from Iowa so will be passing this information along! Thank you so much for all you do everyday!!

• weyanna73 says:

Thank you for posting. I don’t keep up with the daily news. Much appreciated!

• EM says:

Thanks for the information. We don’t buy reduced fat, but I hadn’t heard the news elsewhere yet, so keep this kind of info coming too! Thanks!

• Bethany says:

Thanks for the info. The 6 jars I ordered from the Amazon deal you posted match the upc number so I’m really glad you posted this!

• tyler says:

thats why you don’t eat FAKE peanut butter like skippy it’s low grade. Also it tastes nothing like real peanut butter.

• Drisana says:

I was just going to post the SAME comment. Seriously – eat real peanut butter and you don’t have to worry.

• Sarah says:

Some people can’t afford to buy “organic” peanut butter. Also, I’m sure there are other people out there like me that have an intolerance to high amounts of peanuts or peanut oil. I can’t eat “organic” peanut butter because it makes me SO sick, but I can eat the processed peanut butters without any problems.

• tyler says:

Try Krema it has 100% peanuts in it and no oil fillers, cost pretty much the same as skippy when it’s on sale. It is yummy

you don’t need to buy a $15 jar with an organic label on it. To get the real stuff

Just read the ingredients it should say peanuts thats all.

• Melissa says:

I did the amazon deal that was posted for this a few weeks ago and all 6 of my jars were from the bad lot…nice. THank you for posting this, Im glad none of ate them!

So do I need to call amazon & the manfuc for this? Do they just send replacements/coupons? or do i get my money back as well? never had this happen before…

• Amelia says:

So appreciate you posting this kind of information. Thank you!!!

• Christine says:

Thank you for posting this! If you live near state lines of the affected states you may want to check as well.

• bellabimba says:

I just check my pantry and got the 3 skippy i bought last january. I lived in WI , I really do appreciate the heads up!

• Mindy says:

Thanks for looking out for us! I hope karma is working for you, and you are getting all the good you are putting out there back to you!