Coffee With Collin: Extreme Couponing (The Un-Extreme Way!)

Today’s Coffee with Collin episode takes you along with me on un-extreme coupon shopping trips to Walgreens, CVS, and Target. I had gone to the beach the day before filming this, so please excuse my appearance. I got a little too much sun as you’ll see and didn’t feel like my normal, very energetic self.

**If you can’t see the video, go here to watch it.

Here are some of the Hip Tips that I mention in the video:

* Be a coupon fairy :D
* Just because an item is not marked does not mean that it isn’t on sale
* You may need to buy something you don’t need in order to get something you do need
* Clearance isn’t always a good deal
* Have fun and don’t get coupon road rage! ;)

* Please note that this video was filmed with my Flip Video Camera (instead of the camera I normally use) so I apologize in advance if the audio/visual quality is not so great.

• kake says:

Hi Collin,
    I love your white shirts. VERY CUTE!
    Would you mind if I ask you where you got?
    THANKS.

• Debbie says:

i just spent 2 hrs at the commissary posting coupons….

• gina ashley says:

OMG Collin, you are the cutest! I am SURE the check out girl was saying she was a fan of you. I also have to point out your coupon bag is bigger than you!!
    I have always left coupons behind…I think it is a great idea. I like it better to be called a coupon fairy..it makes me think I have wings and pixie dust!

• Tina says:

Collin

Thank you for all your help showing me how to coupon your videos was the first that I saw and got so much out of them, I try to make couponig fun with my little family at first my husband did not want to help me he would get mad if something happened when I was checking out I had to make a rule that he could come with me in the store and help, but when I went to check out he had to got away, after a few months he got better and he is a big help and my 3 year old loves helping me put the coupons in my binder she hands them to me. I got my husband hooked when he saw the 3 to 5 bags of things come home from CVS and only paid maybe $20.00. Thank you again for all your help looking forward to your next video.

• sleininger says:

Great video! Just one question though, Can you use 2 Walgreens coupons on BOGO free items, or is it just the manufactures coupons you can use. I noticed that the Walgreens coupon states one coupon per customer per order. Just checking! Thanks for all your hard work!

• Sarah says:

No need the Walgreens automatically deduct it for you. Don’t forget to pick up the new store coupons this month!

• kendra says:

I’m not allowed to use the new summer beauty coupons until June 1st. Also, they’re making me give them to the cashier now and didn’t let me use the walgreens coupon code. They said if I didn’t have the coupon, I couldn’t use the code. They expire in December, but we have to surrender them as soon as we use them. I’m not liking the new rule.

• Melinda says:

I am sure the cashier meant she was a fan of your site! If it were the Prep H though that would be too funny.

I call clearance things that aren’t really a good price “faux clearance”…you are so right that you have to know what a good price for something is! I have gotten to where I don’t like to pay more than .50 for a bag of Chex Mix…sometimes it’s even free at my Kroger during a sale after a coupon. $2 is not a deal!!

• Hayley says:

I’m not sure if she was referring to the Prep H or the site but I know my favorite CVS cashier (only been there a handful of times) raves about your site every time I’m there. We even compare notes for the deals we are planning on using during the week! Never thought I would have so much fun shopping at a CVS store!

• cblocklear says:

I have always use coupons but never like this…. guess i will have to learn. thanks for the video even though it has left me a little confused! lol

• Kim says:

LOVE your videos….very helpful…keep ‘em coming!

• Annie says:

Collin, I have a question (sorry if this was already asked previously):
    1- You mention in the video that if you use a ‘Walgreens’ coupon, it automatically takes off the coupon amount on each item you purchase (your ex was the Hawaiin Tropic $2.00 Wags coupon that would take off $4.00 if you bought 2). But on all the Walgreens coupons’ fine print, it reads “limit one coupon per customer per offer.’ I am confused..please explain :) Thanks much!!

• kendra says:

Maybe this means we have to give them the coupon after we use it and cannot hold on to it for a future transaction? This is what the cashier told me I had to do.

• Jodi says:

It means that the coupon takes off the deduction for the amount of items you are buying. You only need to use one coupon. If it’s a $2 q and you buy 3 items, it deducts $6.

• Lizzie says:

I had a problem with this last night… I didn’t go to my normal Walgreens though… Anyways one they overcharged me for the Banana Boat ($10.99 instead of $9.99) and then when I used the Walgreens coupon it only deducted $2 instead of $4. The cashier informed me that since I was getting one free it wouldn’t deduct the $2 off a free item. Is this correct? I was so flustered, I just went home to cool off and will return tonight to inform them they overcharged me.
      Also for the Banana Boat, my inserts only gave me a $1/1 instead of $2/1… You got lucky Collin!!

• Sandi says:

I got most of those deals day! lol I love that Walgreens will take a BOGO coupon with a BOGO sale! I scored 3 mens body washes and 3 deordorants (had trial size boy washes as well). Awesome deal! I only paid tax! Coupon expires today. The bogo one that Collin had.

On the toothpaste deal…my Walgreens didn’t have the kids Aquafresh but I was able to get regular Aquafresh with the kids Aquafresh coupons. Sweet FREE toothpaste!
    Store in ad coupon makes it .99, ten had 3 dollar off coupons!

Check out my haul @ http://fabulousfashionableandfrugal.blogspot.com/2011/05/94-savings.html

• Sandi says:

meant today..typing with one hand holding 5 month old.:)

• Tiffany says:

I’m not sure if you’re aware but you shouldn’t get something that is not on the coupon. If it says Kids toothpaste, you need to get that variety. If the manufacturer doesn’t want to reimburse the store for this they don’t have to since you got the regular one. I realize this should be the store’s responsibility, but we all see that coupon rules are being changed (think Rite Aid) because they are losing money. Just a thought to keep us all doing it correctly so we can all continue to get the maximum benefit.

• Sandi says:

Hmm, I didn’t know that. Thanks. Quick question since I’m still a newbie to couponing…just started in March. I had the Zyrtec coupons but some where $2.00 off and some $4.00 off when I was @ target I had both and gave the cashier the wrong coupon I think. It was for a 24ct. I bought a 5ct. Is the store still gonna be able to be reimbursed for this?

• Pam says:

Thanks for highlighting that you don’t have to be extreme to shop with coupons……. time is money……relax and don’t get coupon rage(road rage)…..think before you buy–do you really use this?…….and the best one I have to tell myself often: Just because it might be 90% off doesn’t mean you are saving money if you don’t need or use the item. You are still spending 10% for something you don’t need!!!!!
    THANKS, love your videos!

• Brit says:

The SAME Target wouldn’t allow the same deal for me on the SAME Banana Boat products :( I guess it’s all in who your cashier is…. beware bargain hunters.

• Elaine says:

Love your videos as always! I have just a few questions for you. First, I love your white ruffle top! So cute! Did you get that on sale too? ;-) Second, was that Aquafresh toothpaste deal at Walgreens or CVS? Great tips! Love your site! Thank you for what you do!

• Christie says:

Awww….Collin you know you wanted that Prep – H…it”s ok tell the truth! lol JK :) Thank you for keeping it real and always making us laugh! :-)

• Jamie says:

I just have to say I love you!! I am new to couponing and so I am getting as many tips as I can. While I was watching your pod cast, I started laughing when I noticed that we have the same bags!! I always carried a purse but now with my binder I carry the big burgandy bag you have :) I just had to share. Have a great day!!

• Lisa says:

Love your videos. They are informative. I would like a “reality” video. One where you find a sale, sort through coupons, block the aisle while people are shopping around you, drop your bag, coupon, or product, then remember that the coupon you really need is in the car because you had planned to use it at another stop. Or do these things only happen to me. :)

• Terri says:

I noticed in your video that you were talking about stacking coupons for the Aquafresh toothpaste, however whenever I’ve shopped at Walgreens I’ve been told that you can’t have more coupons then the products you are buying. So in this case, I couldn’t use two coupons for one toothpaste. Or did you buy something else to offset the product count vs the coupon count? I would greatly appreciate your insight. Thank you! P.S. I love that you post the weekly deals for CVS, Walgreens and Rite-Aid on yours site. This saves me a ton of time. I print out your list, mark what I want, get my coupons in order and go shopping on Monday;-)

• Tiffany says:

If you have more coupons than items you need to grab a “filler”. You can use two coupons on an item, but if you get more coupons than items you need to grab something cheap to offset the coupon/item ratio. For example, at my Wag’s this week Act II popcorn singles are $0.25. If I had more coupons than items (think Register Rewards) then I would grab enough of those popcorn singles to cover the number of coupons I have. I have also in the past found things like clearance mini highlighters, pencils, sticker books, and individual candies at the register. Just make sure its the cheaaaaapest thing you can find so you get the maximum value!

• Julieanne28 says:

You can use a Walgreens coupon & a manf coupon on the same item without having to have a filler. Walgreens coupons don’t count towards the coupon to item ratio, unless it is a RR because they are really manf coupons.

• Robin says:

Hey, Collin! At the magic machine, scan your card til it says “no more coupons today!” You’ll get more!!!

• Bethany says:

That is exactly what I was thinking! I am always to scan twice before I get that message & I’ll take whatever they want to give! lol

• amanda says:

I always seem to have trouble at walgreens…i bought 2 aquafresh kids toothpastes..used the.in add cpn making them .99 then tried to use 2 $1/1 manf cpns and they only.let me use one of them becuase i had more cpns than items?? Always seem to have problens there..not sure what i may be doing.wrong..or if i am at all.?

• spice says:

Just thought of sharing what I know reg. Walgreens…..no. of manuf. coupons(MQ) can not be more then no. of products u r buying so if u r buying 5 products u can use upto 5 MQ & remember if u r using RR(register rewards) from any previous transaction that is also considered as MQ so in that case just add some small item in your list like a pencil or candy or anything u need but u don’t use any MQ for that. In addition to MQ U can also use Walgreen coupons for each product if there is one in the same transaction. hope it helps.

• hsmom says:

I think the problem here is that your coupons were $1 and the items were 99c each. The first one would scan fine, but the second one would need to be adjusted down to 98c. Many cashiers and managers will tell you that they can’t do that (“That’s FRAUD!!”) but it’s in their policy that they should adjust it down. HTH.

• Heather W says:

Well in the case that she was doing you shouldn’t have that issue. Any time you are using an in ad coupon along with a manufacturer’s coupon if you give the in ad one last you won’t get any beeps. :)

• Lydia says:

These shopping videos never gets old!!!! So much fun going shopping with ya! Thank you!!!

• Jean in Calif. says:

Thanks Collin,
    I like it that you showed how you check out and roll the register rewards on the next transaction. Your video’s are always fun to watch and informative too.

• Heather W says:

Love the video Collin. I never get sick of watching your shopping trips! I didn’t get a chance to read through all of the comments, but one thing to remember also is to be respectful when shopping. I didn’t go to Walgreens until Monday night. I had read on some sites how crazy it was and I just don’t feel the need to deal with that lol. Anyway I was asking one of my favorite cashiers how it was this weekend. The look on her face told it all. She told me it was so crazy and that people were yelling at her because Dr. Pepper products weren’t included with the COKE deal..seriously. That is so rude. I’m sure no one on here is like that, but I just had to share. I felt so bad for her!

• Jenny K. says:

thanks for the video! can we see them more often? you are so cute and very sweet as well.

• I love Coffee with Collin! That music when you walked into CVS was hilarious! Thanks for adding a little fun to my day. :)
    Michelle

• love2savemoney says:

Love the video!

I just want to say Thank You to a coupon fairy who left 6 coupons of Philadelphia cooking that was $1.50/1, and Wal – Mart had them for an $1. I only took 2 coupons and left the rest for another shopper, unlike my hubby who wanted to take all six. : /
    The coupon fairy was ALL over this store!! I hope to do the same…one day.

I also want to say Thank You, Collin for doing the videos, and typing up the deals and transactions that could work. I’m addicted to CVS, but I have not shopped at Walgreens because I hear horror stories on how they treat couponers.

I really think the cashier is a big fan of your site : )

• Christine Kauffman says:

Hey Collin,
    Just wanted to let you know, scan your card twice at CVS and it spits out more coupons. I went there last week to get the bag tag coupon and I didn’t get it, so I scanned my card again, and three more coupons came out! Yay!!

• joanne says:

Hi Collin,

I got inspired by your video, so I went to Wags and bought 4 of the #30 Hawaiian Tropic sunscreens. First, the manager said the Wags coupon “was a manufacturer coupon and could not be combined with another mc.” I busted out my coupon policy and told him it was a WAGS coupon and he decided to manually lower the price of the sunscreen and add my 2.00 mc. coupon, HOWEVER he said he could not take the Walgreens $2.00 off the free item, only my $2.00 mc. What did I do wrong? Should I have handed over my mc’s first and then the Wags coupon? HELP! Thanks!

• Jodi says:

Just wanted to tell you that you have the best videos of any blogger! You are so natural on camera and your videos are informative and FUN! I think all your readers wish we could be friends with you! Thanks for another great video!

• Jennifer says:

Love it! Thanks for all of your hard work. I love the “un-extreme” couponing. It makes so much more sense! Thanks for highlighting practicality. :)

• kiran says:

any coupon fairy giving out $1/1magnum icecream coupon here???:)
    pleaseemailsheikhkiran@hotmail.com

love ur site collin….i started coupon a yr ago and saved alot , initially i was so anxious to get all the deals:) but now i have balanced my life and keep low and let the deal go by knowing it will come back soon:) and enjoy my time wid family.

• iluvadeal says:

Hey Collin, Always make sure you scan your CVS card at the magic machine more than once. It will usually print out a second set of coupons! :)

• candi says:

ha ha!! i think the cvs lady was a fan of you not your butt cream! :) good stuff thanks for the laugh.

• I always enjoy these videos- thanks for posting. And I think the CVS cashier was a fan of your site, but it would be hilarious if it was the Preparation H wipes!! :)

• Tammie Gainey says:

Collin,
    Thanks for all your hard work and these cute videos. I always get something from them no matter how long I’ve been a couponer whether it be an awesome sale tip,deal or just a good laugh! Noticed your hair is longer and toulsed cute! Just a hairstylist thing lol!

• Aleisha says:

i love watching u so much. it is the highlight of the computer. we have been saving so much! i now have my husband clipping coupons with me! he works at a grocery store, and comes home and tells me about the pricing! :)

• HeatherAnne says:

Omg, this was one of the best coffee w/ Collin! I was laughing so hard when you went to scan your card at cvs and the music played. Love the site, you’re the best. Thank you for all that you do :)

• justlovincoupons says:

okay here’s a silly question, but can someone tell me where these preparation H wipes are at CVS? I could not find them and when I asked, the cashier wasn’t very helpful… ;) Thanks…

• aprilikim says:

hi collin in my opinion i would say they are fans of your site thanks for the video i watch them everytime a new one comes out you make me laugh thanks your fan april

• Kamy says:

Hello…. just wondering…..I thought you were in Idaho…do we have a CVS here, or close by?
    Love your videos :)

• stacey says:

silly girl the lady liked your site. I love your site also. One of the reasons that I try to stock up and have a good stock pile is because there seem to be more disasters year around and I really like to give back. I lost my house in a tornado in 03 and everything in it, so I know what it feels like to have nothing. This year we have had lots of tornados in places where they dont have that many, not mention the floods. We here in the great state of Oklahoma know to well about tornados and I would just like to encourage everyone with coupon knowledge and savvy (that Collin has taught us) to share the wealth and the knowledge whenever possible.
    Collin keep up the good work I dont know what I would do without you.

• Shelly T. says:

Hello from another Oklahoman! My brother lost his house is the 1999 tornado and one of my best-friends lost her house in 2003 tornado. Our house has flooded twice in the past and on May 24th three of our neighbor’s houses flooded. Thank-goodness we lucked out on that day. May 24th was horrible with all the tornado devastation in OK. Oklahoma has sure had it’s share of bad weather over the years.

• Terri Marks says:

Thank you….I loved the video. Great tips….and great reminders on priorities. It is so easy to get caught up in it all. Love your blog…thank you again.

• Roxanne says:

I love your videos! I have learned so much in a few months. I went to Walgreens today for the Hawaiian Tropics deal. My subtotal was 3.99 not the 1.99 I thought it was going to be. I wonder if I did something wrong with my coupons (maybe order) or if maybe just the way they ring up in our area. The two items were both rung up at 9.99. There were $2.00 coupons on each item, plus I used the coupon in the savings guide. At the end of the transaction my second item was removed at 7.99. Do you know if this was because I used the manufactures coupons first? Still happy with my purchase – just wondering. Thanks for all of your help!

• smartshoppermomof3 says:

Hey Collin,
    I just started coming to your site and watching your video clips and I wanted to let you know that I really appreciate what you do. I’ve already started saving so much just with the tips I’ve gotten from you so thanks :) p.s. I couldn’t see your cold sore so it’s probably not as bad as you think..;)