An Empty House and a BIG Move…

Alright, so I have big news that I’m excited to share with all of you. And let me first just say that I was planning on doing a video to give you a peak into all of the craziness that’s going on in my life. But… well, that didn’t happen. I guess the craziness got the best of me!

So what is all of this craziness?! …A HUGE move across the country! After over 10 years of service, my hubby has been medically discharged from the Marine Corps after injuring himself during physical training. He is recovering well and I feel very blessed to have him home with me and the kiddos, as I know so many of you are spending the holidays without loved ones.

We are moving from North Carolina to Boise, Idaho! Yep – HUGE move! One that is pretty scary, but also very exciting. My two sisters and awesome mom (or mimi, as my kiddos call her) live in and around Boise.

Ever since graduating high school I have been far away from family, so to once again be able to live so close to the people I love so much is pretty amazing. I can’t wait to watch my kids play with their cousins, to laugh hysterically with my sisters, to spend time with my mom and to create so many more memories.

I know some of you have emailed about not feeling like I have been as present on the site and you are probably right. I have been trying to quickly post freebies, write up deal scenarios, and schedule giveaways etc. (with the help of my sidekicks, of course!)… and really haven’t taken the time or brain power to add my 2 cents or post something dorky! ;)

I didn’t realize, until it all started happening, that moving all the way across the country with 3 kiddos is not exactly easy …AND does take lots of time and energy, but thanks to my hubby for all of his help and support, we are almost to the finish line! We will be flying to Boise on Saturday morning. I can’t believe it… I don’t think it has hit me quite yet.

We decided to have our cars shipped to Boise, as we didn’t feel it would be a good idea to drive separate cars – in the winter – during Christmas time – with 3 kiddos in tow – on a week long journey across the country. Plus, when you add in all of the costs associated with traveling (gas, hotels, food,entertainment etc.) it adds up pretty quickly.

Anyway, thanks so much for your patience during this huge transition. I cannot begin to tell you all how much your sweet emails and supportive comments mean to me. I always seem to read them at the right time too. And isn’t it strange how an email from someone you’ve never met in person can instantly change your perspective and make you feel so incredibly blessed.

I plan to be heck of a lot more present on Hip2Save after the New Year. I can’t wait to start doing those dorky videos of mine again and get right back into clipping those awesome things called coupons. :) I’m also excited to learn the ropes of coupon shopping at Albertsons and Winco! Can’t wait!

…And I am so looking forward to crossing paths with all of you Boise readers!

• natalie jane says:

Someone just emailed me this link telling me I should welcome you to Boise :) Now I’ve discovered your cool site as well! I moved to Boise a year ago from Tennessee. It was a huge adjustment, but the weather can’t be beat. My readers SAVED me with tips of where to live and even set me up with a great mom’s club that got me involved with the community. (Are you a mom? Again, this is my first time here!) I just bought a house, and the one I was renting is available now if you need a 4 bedroom with a great back yard. Good luck!

(I used to live in the mountains of NC. Miss it every day.)

• Edie says:

Early welcomes to the Northwest, hope you love couponing (and just shopping in general) at Winco as much as my family does. A lot of deals are really great even without coupons.

• Pat says:

I am an army brat, born in an army hospital, went to army grade schools, graduated from army high school. Went to army college overseas, worked for the army from the age of 16 (summer hire) to the age of 29 when I moved stateside (itwas hard to be without an id card. Never have been without one til now). I know exactly how you feel. Hugs and more hugs

• Barbara says:

Hope you have a wonderful live there in Boise. I have friends from there and they loved it! Thank you for all you tips and deals.

• Tony says:

Welcome to the Northwest ! We are having a mild winter for you so the transition from south to north is easier :) Hope you enjoy Boise.
    Happy Holidays from Spokane WA.

• Mary says:

My husband got out of service after 11 years. There was a small transition period with the big move out of state for us too. It was a big blessing. We have much more freedom! We can see family more, enjoy each other alot more, come and go as we please, make more money, and coupons help make up more of the difference in food price! Enjoy Boise!

• Kim Sprankle says:

Congratulations!!! I have always been blessed to live near my mom and two sisters. In fact, we are going to see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra this afternoon and then dinner afterwards. I am excited for all of the memories that you will get to make with your family!

• Melanie says:

Myself and my family wish you the absolute best. I wish for you and your family an easy transition.

• Dana says:

Welcome back to the Northwest, Collin! I hope everything goes well & you & your family have a very, very Happy Holiday season :)

• ben says:

Hey Colin ( My Coupon Guru)

Well firstly : I hope your hubby is recovering well …best wishes to him.

Secondly : I know its a huge thing to move ( we just moved from OH To CA) so I know what you must be going through.

Kudos to you and your website. Kudos to your enthusiasm in life and to all that you do for us. Thanks to you I have started couponing and saved lots and lots of money.

I definitely owe it all to you.

I have recommended you site to anyone and everyone I can think of.

I hope the coming year brings you and your family all the happiness in the world. Hugs to you and your Family.

Lots of Love

BENAZIR

• Ellen says:

best wishes for a Merry Christmas in your new home! Congratulations on the big move!!!! We all wish you the very best, Collin!!!!

• Denise says:

Congratulations Collin! So wonderful to hear you will be with your family again! That is most important:) I do not get a chance to read your site as often as I wish but am glad I was able to catch this post and wish you and yours a safe trip to your new home and Happy Holidays!!

• Brenda says:

Welcome to Boise! I live in Nampa and i know that Boise is just an amazing city to live in .me and a coworker discovered your website after watching the The Today Show and we are on in all day sometimes!

• Terry says:

Welcome back to the West! I love your website and am looking forward to your “new” posts. Give us some good deals, we in far northern california (state of Jefferson) kind of lose out on some deals because we’re so rural…

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

• Michelle says:

Congrats on this new chapter of your life, Collin! My hubby is in the Air Force and we lived in Mountain Home AFB about 5 years ago. We drove to Boise every weekend for shopping. It was a huge change when I married the military life and we still have a few years but I know it will take a while to get used to civilian life as well. Good luck to you!

• claudine rogers says:

Welcome to Idaho, the state of my birth! My mom lives in Caldwell. She’s been a couponer for over 40 years. Not extreme, but she is consistent. She has double coupon days there!. Best wishes from a Californian.
    And a big thank you to your husband for his service. Prayers for a full recovery.

Claudine

• Deb says:

Congrats on the big move! My husband joined the Army 1 year ago and we just made a huge move from Georgia to Washington!

• Linda says:

You will do great in Boise!!! I enjoy your site sooooo much and it helps me in many ways not just saving money. I have my grown girls and their families within 15 minutes and I love it. I know I am spoiled and your Mom will soon find that out. Good luck!!!

• Jessica says:

I cant imagine such a huge transition with your young kids…it must have been hard leaving NC after soo many years. I left Atlanta after 10 years to move back home to NJ and I cried the entire way up here. I was 18 and it was so akward making new friends but I did and being close to family will make this transition so much easier for you. I wish you, your husband and your kiddies a wonderful holiday season. You will have an awesome start to 2012 in a new home and like you said, you can make new memories with your mom and sisters. Good luck to you. You have done a wonderful job with your website. And even though many readers have said that you havent been “around” much, the rest of us understand what it is to raise a family with 3 kids and a husband. I know cause I am in the same boat! :) You have saved me and my family so much $ since I started couponing back in May. I have you to thank for this. I talk to everyone about your site. God Bless you and your family in your new home in Idaho. Happy Holidays from a very appreciative mom of 3 in NJ. :)

• Laura says:

WAHOOO! Welcome to Boise, my hometown. I hope you love it as much as we all do. The only thing is you can’t tell everyone how great it is :) All who live here seem to love the “small town” feel. I’m excited to maybe see more Boise local deals!. Thanks for all you do.

• Ms Coo P'on says:

Woot woot! I live right outside of Boise (in Meridian) and we welcome you with open arms!! I know you will love it here and you will love doubling Albertsons coupons! We don’t have CVS but we have a few kick ass Walgreens that are very coupon friendly! Hope you have a safe move And get adjusted quickly!

You will have to try Dutch Brothers coffee, it’s a few bucks cheaper that Starbucks and twice as good!

Best wishes!!

• Amber Warren says:

Just catching up on here…
    How exciting for you all to start the New Year back with your family!! God bless you all on your new adventures.
    Much love from the hills of Tennessee~

• Tiffany says:

Hey Collin! I just wanted to say how happy I am for you! I just recently seperated from the Navy in August and was able to move back home! What a great feeling! My son now is surrounded by family just as you had mentioned in your post. It truly does take a village to raise a child! Thanks for all your hard work! Have a merry christmas and god bless you and your family!

• Lynn says:

I am so happy for you. It is such a blessing to live close to family. I know you will be so happy to be closer to those who mean the most to you. It is hard work to move so don’t feel pressure to do lots here for a while. Take your time and get settled in. We will understand. Can’t wait to see more videos in the future of your new life. God bless!

• Mary Jane says:

We live in the pacific northwest Washington state, the fabulessly frugal gals all seem to reside in either Idaho and or Washington state, you could form a big big union and help all struggling people to save, save and save some more..Congratulations on the lovely home, your husband being OK and your adorable children being so so sweet..moving is just a part of the Marine Corps motto, with a mate and kiddos or singly..Good your husband is healing well, health is one’s wealth as far as I am concerned..I read your column most days, but somehow missed the big moving information..Merry Christmas today, Happy Hanukkah, Kwanzaa too..Peace, joy and love to you and yours for 2012 how exciting and wonderful to live near your kin…Faith, Familia and Food is our motto and now you have that and lots more..ciao mi bella italian for adios my friend!

• Amber H says:

I cannot wait to see you post about Albertsons and Winco!! Congrats on your move!

• Randi (girl) haha says:

i have been fallowing your site for oh gosh i think 2/3 yrs now and we just moved to idaho in june also but i live in a town called American Falls. i think its abour 3/4 hours from bosie, i shop in pocatello and have not made it to idaho falls yet as with the winter time lol. lucky you that you got to move to be able to be closer to your family! we moved here as my husband got a new job and now is a tech on wind turbines at a farm right outside american falls! and if i get my way maybe some day i can get him to Tx

• Audra Fink says:

My husband and I moved a half hour outside of Boise, Idaho the same weekend you moved with your family! We moved from California and I’m excited to read your tips and couponing advice for Winco and Albertsons! :)

• Florence says:

I live in Caldwell and am so glad to have you here!!! I have followed your blog for a few years now because I find you inspiring and hilarious. I was frequently bummed because most of your deals didnt apply to my region but now they will! Welcome home!!!

• 電子アクセサリー