USPS Price Changes (45¢ Stamps, 32¢ Postcards)

If you are a frequent letter/postcard sender, you’ll want to take note of the United States Postal Service changes that are set to take place on January 22nd, 2012. On this date, the price of Forever Stamps will increase from 44¢ per stamp to 45¢ per stamp (this is the first time that the price of Forever Stamps has increased since May 2009!). In addition, you can expect the following changes…

* Postcards: 3¢ increase to 32¢
* Letters to Canada or Mexico (1 oz.): 5¢ increase to 85¢
* Letters to other international destinations: 7¢ increase to $1.05

Check out this news release for more information. If you are running low on stamps, I would encourage you to head to your local Post Office today or tomorrow to snatch up several books of Forever Stamps since you will save yourself 1¢ per stamp. A penny saved is a penny earned. ;)

On a side note, check out this graphic below. Can you believe that the price of stamps back in 1885 was as low as 2¢?!

(Thanks, Coupon Pro!)

• Destiny says:

I WISH POSTCARDS WERE SENT FOR 3 cents!!! MIGHT WANNA FIX THAT!!! ;-P

• Amy says:

My husband & I bought a whole roll of Forever stamps…seeing as how we do most billing, etc online, this will probably last us till the next price increase on stamps!

• Destiny says:

It’s Friday! My mistake not yours! I might wanna pay a little more attention!!!

• Krissy says:

When I start to think the cost of stamps is outrageous, I remind myself that I can’t get an envelope across the country for 45 cents by myself, and that helps keep it in perspective:?) I have a fantastic mail carrier who feeds my dog treats and gives my kids candy if they are outside when she drives up:?)

• Anna says:

Perspective is a great thing. Thanks for the reminder! :0) It always helps to look at situations from many angles!

• Jen K. says:

Lucky!! I have a mail carrier who every time it rains throws all the mail for the three condo units in my building on our front steps instead of putting it into the individual boxes. Last time I complained, no mail delivered for nearly a week. We also get a lot of incorrect mail, miss a lot of expected mail, and he refuses to take outgoing mail from our mailboxes. And from past experience I know my post office couldn’t care less. I refuse to support the post office any more than I have to until they improve their customer service.

• Laura C says:

Overall my service isn’t too bad, but I had to share this one. A few years ago my carrier actually folded a thin hard cover book in half to fit it in my mailbox! I can’t even image how much force it must have taken to do that, so what could they have been thinking?!? To make matters worse, it was a hard to find out of print book that was damaged. I was outraged! When I complained to the supervisor, the carrier apparently had a history. We had a new carrier a couple months later.

• Lindsey says:

I have a similar story. I bought an HP touchpad case for my sister as a Christmas present, and when it arrived in my mailbox I was absolutely shocked. It was bent in half and jammed in my mailbox so tightly I couldn’t remove it. I tried for about 20 minutes before giving up. My boyfriend had to help me remove it and even he struggled to remove it. The case was damaged and I was just wondering what could have possibly been her thought process?! Instead of walking a few feet and putting it on my porch?! I thought about complaining but I didn’t. I don’t like getting people in trouble.

• knagel1976 says:

You need to call the postal inspectors. I am a mail lady and what you are saying here cannot continue. Here is their number 1-877-876-2455

• samirae says:

I just have to share cause I thought this was funny. Not complaining but laughing at the poor behavior of our postal carrier. Our houses are really close together and on garbage day often the cans get in the way of the mailboxes. Our mail carrier will just hit the gas and push the trash cans out of her way LOL it is so funny to watch. (luckily the cans are already empty as the garbage truck comes by 8 am) I totally get her frustration but I just have to laugh. :D

• Zack says:

Agreed. Great individual carrier or not. $0.45 to get something across the country is a great deal! Postage is something I never have trouble paying and I am amazed they can keep the cost below $1 per item!

• trish says:

It says “a 3 cent INCREASE”…not that it jumped from 3 cents TO 32 cents…only changing a little bit

• trish says:

There was only a 3 cent INCREASE- it didn’t jump from 3 cents to 32…..

• Jennifer says:

I didn’t even realize this. Thanks for telling us.

• Claire says:

That is actually still below the cost of inflation… $0.02 in 1885 is equal to $0.48 in 2010.

• Candy says:

I think it’s crazy how much it has jumped since 1960.

• Paula says:

I just found out the other day and my dad is a postmaster. I have been meaning to send 2 very large packages internationally so now I’m rushing to try and get them ready in time to get them out by Saturday before the price goes up. Thanks for the reminder though to buy extra stamps. I mostly use them just for rebates.

• Nicole says:

Ugh. Don’t remind me. We have about 50 INTERNATIONAL families we keep in touch with because my husband is from Ireland. Those stamps are going up to $1.05 each. With birthdays, St. Pat’s, Communions, Christmas, and just the pictures to his mom we drop about $120 a year in stamps. Thank God we get all those free cards from Tiny Prints & Cardstore – at least that takes some of the sting away! ;D

• Janelle says:

Not that big of a deal. I know that the USPS is in some financial trouble, so hopefully this increase will help them out. I can understand that this increase can add up for people or businesses who send out thousands of letters each year

• Christina says:

Guess I should stop at Walgreens on my way home to pick up some stamps. So much easier than the post office.

• tintin says:

thank goodness i only bought 4individual stamps this morning used one to mail my stepdad b-day card. i can’t believed they keep increasing the price for the stamps as well packages :(

• Vicki O says:

I used to work for the USPS and you wouldn’t believe everything that one letter goes through at the big plants. It is amazing how many steps a piece of mail goes through before it leaves the carriers hands. And all within a quick time frame, I always thought the price of mailing a letter was a bargain since I experienced this first hand, and I still think it’s quite a bargain. I am fortunate to have a wonderful carrier who goes out of his way considering I get so many “freebies” and little packages in the mail. He brings it up to my house for me and doesn’t jam it all in the mailbox. Considering gas is well over $3 a gallon, I couldn’t even take a few miles for only 45 cents!

• Heidi says:

Thanks to online banking and emails, my stamp usage has gone down. So I don’t mind the penny increase. It will be ridiculous if it ever makes its way closer to 1.00.

• bre says:

We do billing by mail so I will be loading up =). Last time this happened I tried to buy a lot and the lady at the counter said she could only sell me 4 books. I then got back in line and bought as many as I wanted from the other lady at the counter. The first one gave me dirty looks and said she knew that I was only buying a bunch to get them before the increase DDDDUUUHHHHH why the heck wouldn’t I.

• CJ says:

I dont mind stamps going up a penny or two every few years. But postage for packages is way too high. I recently mailed a one pound box from MO to PA and it cost $7.35 to send it parcel post. Crazy!

• Roxy says:

USPS is facing bankruptcy, so I’m not surprised by the change. I wonder if that is gonna help them though

• Lana says:

We have the most amazing mail carrier! She brings our packages to the back door and always goes the extra mile. My husband was in the mall at Christmas time and someone he didn’t know said, Well hello Mr. D—–’. She said you don’t know who I am do you? I’m your substitute mailcarrier!’ She only brings our mail ONE day a week! I will never complain about paying a mere 45 cents to have a letter carried door to door for us.

• ebony says:

Am I missing something? So if the stamps go up, do we have to buy 1 cent stamps to go wit the stamps we already have if we stock up 44 cent ones?

• Marissa says:

No – the 44 cent stamps are Forever stamps, which last …well, forever. And the 45 cent stamps are just new Forever stamps. So you don’t need to get 1 cent stamps to go with your 44 cent stamps, because Forever stamps will never change what they are worth :)

• Sharon says:

Well, hate to admit this, but I remember when we called them penny post cards! Yikes! And, Ebony, the answer is yes.

• sofatchick says:

Just tried to get some more from usps.com but the link of shop is broke…:(

• laura says:

The price of a stamp to send a personal letter across the country is one of the few bargans in this country. Also 98 cents to get it to another country is a great deal too. No one else could do it any cheaper!

• Corey says:

I am still amazed we are as low as we are. Like others have pointed out, based on the value of a dollar, we are still below the rate that it was in the 1800s. HOW? A pony took a whole hell of a lot longer than a plane and a plane seems like it is more expensive. We should be thankful and anyone who complains is an idiot. $.45 to mail something, show me a service that is cheaper (besides email)? No one.

• Lara says:

Thanks for the heads up, didn’t know about this. For only a penny a stamp I’m not running out and stocking up – cost me more in gas to make the trip, lol ;)

• Jarrod L says:

I have a extremely nasty woman working at our post office, she is kind enough to yell at you and berate you if you do not have the right forms, she does this alot, I refuse to support them either, maybe they should consider paying their workers less, they can keep there stamps and sub par postal workers!

• Lara says:

I has a situation like that in Phoenix and I got the employees name (was so mad thinking about it that I went one day and walk up to her and got her name off her name tag and turned and left) and went online and complained to the main headquarters and I was shocked they took it very seriously! She had no right to ever act like that and I wasn’t going to let her get away with thinking she was allowed to treat any person like that – she did it to everyone on multiple occasions. Needless to say next time, a few months later, when I had to go, she was as sweet as sugar!

• Willa says:

Thank you so much for posting this. I didn’t see it until last night, but you saved us a nice chunk of money. With 2 weddings and 2 (maybe 3–if she can finish the semester before her baby comes) graduations this year, we got the stamps this morning. The increase isn’t a big deal if you only buy a couple stamps, but try buying about 5000 or more and it is a big savings. Again, thank you so very much.

• Jim says:

I’m buying post cards and mailing them instead of texts and emails. I’ll be ahead of the curve when the Internet becomes obsolete to regular users–AND IT WILL!

• Audrey says:

I deliver the mail to the post office at 5:00 daily. One time, there was a mail sorter or carrier taking mail out of the boxes. I had a few letters and asked if she would take them. She said “no”, that I should throw them in the box. I did so and she then commented that “now my mail wouldn’t go out until the next day.” I really didn’t care that much. My mail wasn’t urgent but I was horrified that she would treat me in that way. I never reported it. I never forgot it. I never saw her again. But you can be rest assured that I would report her now to the inspector if there happened to be another occurrence.