Coffee with Collin: Hello from Idaho

Phew! As many of you know, it has been a long, long, long time since I have filmed a Coffee with Collin video. But I am here to tell you that I am officially back in action and am hoping to post videos on a more regular basis! :D

After moving all the way across the country from North Carolina to Idaho, I can finally say that I feel completely settled in my new home, my kiddos are adjusting to their new schools and making friends, and I am loving being surrounded by family and even some good friends from high school. Life is good!

With that being said, I felt that it was only appropriate to start off the 2012 Coffee with Collin video series with a film about my new life in Idaho. This video will give you a sneak peek into my new home where I will share some tips for maximizing small spaces, as my new home is definitely on the tinier side.

So you know the drill… grab a cup of coffee (or tea or water!), get comfy on your couch and come check out my new life in Idaho! Enjoy!

* If you can’t see the video, go here to watch it.

• stephanie says:

Collin, I am so impressed. You did an amazing job with 1200sqft. I have sooo much trouble decorating. It just doesn’t come naturally to me. How do you do it? Did you measure everything and then just shop, or have ideas first and then go out looking for them? Also, I thought your old house was cute (what I saw of it). Did some of your old stuff work or did you just start from scratch?

• Yes, we basically started from scratch and my sister took lots of measurements for us before the move. We ended up selling most of our furniture in a garage sale and also gave pieces to neighbors and friends.

• steph says:

Well, it’s adorable! Thanks for the response and thanks for letting us take peek at your place. Best wishes to you and your family in Idaho!

• Alexis Campbelll says:

Cute place, so awesome your in Boise (my hometown!)

• Christina says:

Collin, Honestly….I look so bad to your skills…hahaha. I know what a smaller house is like we just moved out of a 900sq ft with 5 (3kids as well). Though this house is much larger….we will be here 1yr in august…..I still have NOOOO clue what I am doing. Organization….isn’t happening yet either. You should seriously work as an professional organizer…even if you have help, specializing in small spaces. I would SOOOO pay you, hahaha. Fun, lively, money saver, with an accent….hahaha who wouldnt luv ya !!!
      Thanks Collin for letting us into your new home…happy memories :)

• Renata Ahmed says:

Christina, oh my gosh .. i can relate to your comment so much. I have 2 kids my mother husband and I am expecting in a bit over 900 sq ft home… I need some decoration help as well.. just no ideas in my head… :( Colin, cant believe that staff from IKEA.. i always thought they only had this crappy things.. hm.. oh was I wrong.. :) GOOD WORK COLIN >>

• Carrie says:

Thank you for welcoming us into your home! It’s nice to see you again (via video), and look forward to future coffee talks….I love them! -Carrie P.

• Katie says:

Love it, Collin! We live in a super small townhouse with 4 kids, and it’s amazing what you can do with some organizing and creativity! What I love about living in a small space is that it keeps you from accumulating junk (because you have nowhere to put it). I also know exactly where everything I own actually is and can find it easily. Anyways, thanks for sharing! You did a beautiful job decorating.

• Jill says:

Your house is so adorable! Thanks for letting us get to know you this way. I’m thinking we need a “Decorating with Collin” section next! I could really use the help. :)

• mu4141@yahoo.com says:

I love the pictures too. I’m going to buy some… does anyone have a good guess of the size of these? The larger ones?
    THANKS

• Cynthia says:

Hi Collin, Im so glad you making Videos again. Glad your all settled in Idaho now. I look forward to all your videos!

• moe says:

Your home is beautiful,Collin! :) Congratulations to you and your family and thanks for sharing that with us! Peace and blessings!

• Mari says:

Oh my gosh, I loved your Hip2Save “Cribs” video :). I love seeing people’s homes as well, thank you for sharing!!!! What a fun kid area!!!
    I love how much you love family, it shows in your web site and in your video. :)

PS. Please have someone contact IKEA, maybe something good could come out of this, you never know!

• Very cute…. sorta like cribs only without the refrigerator view and cars!

• Jena says:

This is gorgeous…Collin you are so talented and the creativity you used to make your kids space feel special is amazing! Congrats…..We have been in our townhome for almost 2 years and still doesnt seem finished deco-wise lol

• I have 663 sq ft 2 bedrooms with 6 (4kids) n it looks lived in! Lol Where do you pit your stockpile? Just wondering…

• Wai says:

Collin congrats on making the most out the space and doing a fantastic job with it! I will be moving into a (smaller) apartment soon, and I really love what a difference the canvas makes in the rooms. Thanks for sharing!

• Riya says:

Whether a house is small or big doesnt matter , it should be more comfortable for you and filled with lots of sweet memories…..
    Good luck !

• Samantha says:

Right now we live in a 2 bedroom trailer with my husband myself and our two year old in one bedroom and our roommate/best friend in the other.. It’s hard but I love getting ideas for when we finally buy our home next year!! I love the upstairs fun area!!! Great idea!!!

• Sara C says:

I LOVE what you have done with your house! I am so jealous of your creativity!You are like superwoman! Seriously, though, how do you save on your large purchases like the bunk beds and the shelves in your boys’ room? The only way I have found to really get items like that at an affordable price is to buy them used. Is there a trick to making large purchases and saving a bundle?

• Good question! Most of the items we purchased at IKEA were reasonably priced. Also, once we found out we were moving, we started putting away cash every month just for the move and we also made some cash selling our used furniture.

But I completely agree, buying used is the way to go! And we actually do have quite a few used furniture pieces (that weren’t highlighted in the video) that came from consignment shops. I personally love shopping at these types of places, as there are usually lots of treasures to be found! :)

• MommySpendsLess says:

I wouldn’t throw used out of the arena yet :) We have had such great luck getting furniture pieces on Craigslist. You have to be patient while you search and be willing/ready to jump when you see something you love but we’ve gotten high quality, real wood pieces for cheaper than we could have purchased lower quality items from Walmart. Most were in fantastic condition and looked brand new after a quick wipe down.

When it was time to turn my daughter’s nursery into a big girl room I started searching Craigslist and ended up with: A sleigh style head board, foot board and rails for $50; A sturdy wooden nightstand for $40; An armoire that holds my daughter’s TV and a TON of toys for $175. All gorgeous, high quality pieces.

Another place I’ve had pretty good luck on shelves, end tables, etc. is Target. They clearance out furniture the same way they do the rest of their merchandise. We found a large ladder-style shelf 50% off ($75) and a convertible end table/ottoman for $20 (regularly $80).

I would be careful with Ikea’s “white” furniture unless you have a showroom nearby to see it in person. I fell in love with the Expedit only to discover it was off-white, almost cream and wouldn’t have matched the bright snow white furniture I’d already purchased.

• Jen says:

Thanks for sharing your new home.

• Sarah says:

I love your new house!! It is ADORABLE!!! I love all of the creative ways you have found to make use of what space you have. I especially love the kid space!! We have a bunch of furniture that we got from IKEA and we LOVE every piece. We even have bookshelves that my parents bought from IKEA 20+ years ago and the bookshelves are in perfect condition!! IKEA makes their stuff to last!!! (AND their stuff is affordable!!!)

• thank you for sharing. i wish i had some decorating since. i love love love your place!!

• crystal says:

i absolutely love the house and love that you are in Boise. That is my hometown. I live in Maine now, but i have a lot of family there. It is an amazing place to grow up.

• sa tho says:

so LOVE your style!!! great job, i love ikea!!! thank you for sharing your home with us!

• jlp says:

When we moved I begged for an older smaller house but hubby won and we have a larger home. It is so hard to keep clean. You are smart to go small! Thanks for sharing with us. We love ya!

• Veronique G says:

I just love it! Thank you for sharing. Your house is so comfy and you are giving us so many great ideas. A great video. Do it more often, you’re a video genius! So charismatic.

• Telisha says:

I’m soooo jealous of your decorating skills. That is definitely on of those things where some people just have it. And you “have It”. Thanks for letting us peek into your life. It’s been inspiration for me.

• kat says:

I wish I could do that. Ikea is great when you have kids. You are amazing. Wish you lived in upstate NY so we could be friends!

• Tracey says:

That “secret” kid space above the boys’ room is awesome!!! Great idea! :)

• Julie says:

Cute! You did a great job. I think Ikea should pay you for showcasing their products so well in your video! You really make their products look great in your space.

• Brit says:

Yay for Coffee with Colin! You have such a cute home and you totally racked up at Ikea. Love that store!

• Jen says:

I LOVE it! You’ve done an awesome job organizing and decorating! I absolutely love the kids space in the attic! That is such a great idea! I look forward to your videos again too!

• Nicole says:

welcome to Idaho! Its a wonderful place to live with kids!

• Lynn says:

Wow, you not only coupon you decorate a house into a home! You are so AWESOME. I am so jealous. I keep telling my husband I just want a small house, you truely make it look easy!

• jennifer says:

Cute cute cute! I love the kids play area, so fun!

• brooke says:

wow, like your first house it seems very warm and welcoming, as you may remember i e-mailed you a little while ago and am so siked that these videos are back! thanks collin! you go girl!!!!

• Carol says:

You are just such a cutie – thanks for all you do. I just love to check 2-3 couponing blogs each day and I really appreciate all of the work you put into your site as it makes my life a lot easier.

• Kelsey says:

I am in love with your house. It is so fun and you really made it yours. I love the kids rooms. Like a kids paradise!!!!

• andrea says:

Love your house, too cute and so creative!

• glo says:

Hi everyone,
    I too live in a small home. I read the best quote,
    “Love grows best in little homes.”
    check out the site
    Collin, awesome job. I now getting everything together must have been a lot of hard work, but you did good!!
    Check out this blog I just know you would absolutely love:
    She’s amazing in organizing and do it yourself projects for the home. Check out her “family binder” idea. Love!!
    Bless your new home & Fam!
    Much love from CT
    glo

• Samantha P says:

Welcome back to Boise Collin!!! Love your house and all of your space saving ideas!

• Sara says:

Hi Collin! Your house is soooo cute! We are getting ready to move and it really gave me some great ideas! Thank you!
    I was wondering where you got the clips and rod to hang the kids artwork in your kitchen? Did you make it from a towel rack? I LOVE that idea!!
    Thank you and hope to hear from you soon,
    Sara

• Becca says:

OMG!!! I love your kids play area!! I want one. Haha it looks like so much fun up there!! Love your new house and love all of your canvas pictures.

• Amber says:

Cute! It reminds me of my home. My husband and I recently bought a 40′s bungalow that we moved into with our 3 girls. They have a cute little hangout upstairs too. :)a

• amy says:

Love, Love, Love it! Your house is wonderful! I really need some help with spacesaving ideas, and this really helped me. I LOVE Ikea too – just wish we had one closer…..actually that could be a bad thing – lol! Such a cute space for the kids upstairs too – how cool!

• Lifeasacouponjunky says:

Omg. I love love love love love love love a million times love this house !!

• LuvSaving says:

What a beautiful home you have. I can only dream of decorating like that. I have a pretty good size home but no storage area, it drives me nuts and I can’t seem to get organized because i have no where to store things. i will be watching this video over again to get some ideas.
    God bless you and your family in your new home!