Coffee with Collin: Shop With Me at Goodwill

Today’s Coffee with Collin episode will take you shopping with me at a local Goodwill Store here in Boise, Idaho. Besides the fact that Goodwill offers up awesome deals on used items like clothing, toys, furniture, shoes and much more, the money you spend and donations that you make at Goodwill also go right back in to your community. This money is then used to train and employ members of your community and to provide personal and family support services (Goodwill served a whopping 4 million people in 2011!). So your Goodwill shopping is essentially helping both your budget and your community… love that! :D

So what are you waiting for?! Click the play button above or head over here to watch the video!

If this video has motivated you to head out to your local Goodwill store, you may want to take some time to clean out your drawers, closets etc. and take any unwanted items with you to donate. Consider the fact that a donation of a bag of clothes provides someone with an hour of job training AND you’ll score a coupon valid for 20% off your entire purchase every single time you bring a donation into Goodwill (note that the coupon offer may vary by region).

If you don’t happen to live near a Goodwill Store, you can also snag some great deals online at Goodwill’s online auction site, ShopGoodwill.com. Find everything from clothing, toys, tools, musical instruments and much more!

Come back to let us know what sort of great finds you have snagged at your local Goodwill Store or local thrift store.

* A BIG thank you to the staff at the Goodwill here in Idaho… especially Jason Asher, the Donor and Community Relations Officer for Easter Seals-Goodwill Northern Rocky Mountain! He rocks! :D

• shawna says:

I was trying on wedding dresses at goodwill and chatting with this lady in the dressing room. She asked if I was seriously getting married. When I said yes she offered her wedding dress to me for free!

• Angela Regan says:

since bedbugs made a comeback in the U.S., I haven’t shopped there much, don’t want to bring home any critters or their eggs, anyone had any problem with this?

• Shelia says:

No. The stuff goes straight from the car to the wash. Never a problem.

• Rebecca says:

Ditto – no problems here either. Everything, including toys/etc., go from store to bag to washing. I also use hand sanitizer upon leaving the store. ;)

• Charlotte in Portland says:

Dear, sweet, LORD! You are so fun! Thank you for the new video and the smiles. :-)

• Stephanie says:

Collin… You are WAY TOO FUNNY!! Thanks for the great video! LOVE IT!! :)

• susana santos says:

I love your videos, you are so cute and funny.

• liz says:

I don’t know if you knew this but in my area Warren pa we have $.39 cent day on sundays where the clothing is $.39 for the right color tag!! They have a new shipment every sunday in. Great deals on new with tags or gentley used clothing pieces.

• Kimberly says:

I just left Goodwill. On my receipt is says “no refunds, returns or exchanges.” there was no color tag on sale. And I have never received a coupon for donations. And yes- it was a true Goodwill. Guess its different in some locations. I’m in North Carolina.

• Elizabeth says:

You are adorably clumsy in your videos!

• theoddowl says:

The one here isn’t that clean or nice either, and it smells really weird in there. :( Good to know you were able to find some goodies for cheap prices though! Btw, the video was hilarious. :P

• Sara says:

I was excited to come on a say we have a $1.49 but I see someone has a .39 cent day! That is stinkin awesome!

• idontknow807 says:

Check out and see if there is any local ones in your town because they have things at a cheaper price. Where I live goodwill doesn’t have 1.49 day but a local second hand place has .25 day and i know that my money will go to their food pantry next door. To me Goodwill is kinda high because it was $4 for a shirt, when i can add $2 to that and get a new one at Walmarts. I remember when Goodwill use to be in back of buildings not its on building, so stuff was more reasonable price then it is now. But it is good if need like a pair of work pants or shirt cheap.

• Rebecca says:

That’s not the case here. Our local 2nd hand place has ridiculous prices – they think they’re items are made of gold & gold thread. Our Goodwill, built & opened last year, has great prices overall (MUCH better than the local 2nd hand stores), has 50% off colors, accepts returns. I scored a cool Death Star Star Wars nightlight ball that projects the Star Wars galaxy onto the ceiling with/without names by the plantets & systems for $1.38 – it’s like new. (Hubby’s a Star Wars freak & our 4yo son loves it, too.)

“Merchandise Return Policy
      Goodwill accepts returns on regular price clothing and electrical/mechanical items only.
      Returns must:
      • Have the original price tag or colored tagger still attached to the item(s).
      • Be accompanied by the original cash register receipt.
      • Be made within 3 days of the purchase.
      We will offer an in-store credit for those returned items. Sale merchandise may not be returned.”

• Nicole says:

Just left my local goodwill. I go there often. My 12 yo daughter is dressed in only Pink, AEO, Aero, Charlotte Russe, etc. bc I get such great deals from there. We couldn’t afford to dress her like that if we bought directly from the store. Got tons of stuff today, including an AWESOME Aero bag for the beach with rope handles for only $2.49!

• Ann says:

i’m expecting a little girl this summer (i have 2 boys) and found so much great stuff from goodwill. i guess people over buy for little girls so i have found a lot of NWT or NWOT brand name (ralph lauren, calvin klein, carters…) clothes for 99 cents. woot woot for thriftyness =)

• Dawn says:

I guess every goodwill is different – I’ve never heard of any in wisconsin giving a 20% off coupon – that’s awesome for those of you that have that :)

• Rebecca says:

http://www.goodwillsew.com/amazingGoodwill/clubGW.aspx has info about Club Goodwill savings & other info.
    “Club Goodwill is our frequent shopper program. For our loyal shoppers, it offers great benefits like these:

•NEW! In-store scratch-offs every 15th of the month worth 15%, 20% or 25% off
    •5% off any purchase of $20 or more every day
    •25% off birthday coupon
    •Seniors 15% off Wednesday
    •Students 10% off Saturday
    •Discount coupons by email
    •Advance notification of sales and promotions (such as Holiday, Halloween and Grand Opening Events)
    •Seniors (60 & over)
    Benefits valid in the following counties in southeastern Wisconsin and Illinois: Milwaukee, Waukesha, Washington, Ozaukee, Fond du Lac, Green Lake, Dodge, Sheboygan, Walworth, Racine, Kenosha, Lake, Du Page, Kane, Iroquois, and in select locations in Rock, Jefferson, Cook, Will, Kendall, Kankakee, Ford and Vermilion counties.”

• Andrea says:

Thanks Collin! After watching your video, I decided what the heck have not been to goodwill in awhile – what do I have to lose? I am soooo glad I did – I found 2 of my 3 kids a good bike and a new spiderman bike helmet for just under $30! I was planning on making a purchase from craigslist and spending $80 for two bikes.

• Michelle L. says:

After hunting last Christmas for a frame large enough to mount a Thomas Kinkade puzzle for a Christmas present, I’m hooked. However, our Goodwill has very high prices and no discount colors/days. So I shop at Salvation Army which does the 50% off discount on different color tags each week. I’m amazed at what I find and how much I pay for them!

• Becky says:

Target donates a lot of stuff to our Goodwill. I scored a brand new futon originally from Target, and got it for 1/2 the price. I think it must have been a floor model. BUt my son doesn’t care, and thinks it is cool.

• tina f. says:

Awesome, you rock Collin. My Goodwill is so dumpy, I also donate like new products and tons of toys and when I decide to shop there I’m lucky if I find anything. They will be putting a new Goodwill on the nicer side of town so I’m really hoping to find some treasures there, thanks for inspiration

• Victoria says:

Here in SW FL we have quite a few Goodwill stores. Some are better than others but it’s def worth it to check them out. Recently I scored a Vtech Innotab for my daughter for $3.99!!! At the same store they had a whole counter full of iPhone accessories that were brand new. The store associate told me that they regularly get deliveries from Target stores.

• Jo-Ann says:

Collin, what a fun, super video–thanks! Shopping at thrift stores, garage sales, & school/church rummage sales are great ways to save money, help your community, and keep things out of landfills. Aside from Goodwill & the Salvation Army, I have also shopped thrift stores run by humane/pet rescue societies and hospice agencies. I’ve found prices vary among the stores, and so have learned which ones to frequent.

• Susan S. says:

I’m not sure why, but I can view this video. Could be something on my side.

• Valerie says:

My local Goodwill has $1.29 on Mondays for whatever tag color is on sale for that week. That is $1.29 for anything with that color tag. I scored a 5′ x 4′ oak desk with drawers on soft rollers for $1.29. Definately worth looking into deals at your local Goodwill :) Also most of the Goodwill employees are “in training” as part of their “back to work” program.

• BamaVicki says:

I loved everything about this video! My thrift stores do not look this nice however! ;) Love the Girls Just Wanna Have Fun insert! Awesome.

• mary talbert says:

Loved loved your video! Loved the girls want to have fun audio! Don’t stop enjoying life & saving money!