(Photo Credit: Boston.com)
As most of you know, the NorthEastern part of the United States (primarily New Jersey, New York and Connecticut) was recently hit by Hurricane Sandy. In addition to killing almost 100 people, many homes were completely destroyed by massive flooding, wind and fires and many residents are still without power. I have received quite a few emails from Hip2Save readers who were directly or indirectly affected by this hurricane and are asking that we all ban together to provide assistance to those in need.
What can you do?
* Make a donation to the American Red Cross by visiting http://www.redcross.org, calling 1-800-HELPNOW or texting the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation. Note that Verizon will match customer text-to-donate contributions to American Red Cross relief efforts up to one million dollars.
* Donate blood. The Red Cross is urging immediate blood and platelet donations to support the blood needs of those affected by Hurricane Sandy. Click here to make an appt.
* Make a donation to the Humane Society of the United States to help animals and families who evacuated their homes in the wake of Hurricane Sandy’s destruction.
* Make a donation to a local animal shelter via PetFinder.com.
* Make a donation to the Community Food Bank of New Jersey. Note that financial donations have the greatest impact; in addition, you can donate food, grocery and baby items.
* Swagbucks: Every Swag Buck donated equals $0.01, so for example donating 1,000 Swag Bucks is equivalent to donating ten dollars. Support the American Red Cross as well as those affected by Superstorm Sandy and donate your Swag Bucks today. Go here for more details.
* Through December 31, 2012, Hilton will give you 10 HHonors Bonus Points for every $1 USD donated to support the relief efforts. In addition, Hilton is matching all donations up to $100,000 USD. Click here for more information.
Check out these companies that are reaching out to help…
In addition to delivering more than 100 truckloads filled with supplies like generators, chain saws, vacuums, flashlights, batteries and lanterns, Sears has added up to $20 worth of Shop Your Way Rewards points to the accounts of existing members hit the hardest by the storm. These points can be used through 11/8. Check out the full press release here.
For areas impacted by Hurricane Sandy, Verizon has opened free device charging stations. Click here for a list of locations.
Now it’s you turn… what suggestions do you have?
Have you been directly affected by Hurricane Sandy or do you know families that have been directly affected? We want to help! Please complete this quick survey by clicking here so that we can send donations to those who need them the most. Thank you.
And to all of you in the NorthEast that have been affected, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.