Hip2Save This Holiday: How My Coke Rewards Saved Christmas

Hip2Save This Holiday Guest Post submitted by reader, Jennifer S.:

My mom and I often team up to buy our gifts for our extended family. Like many families, our Christmas budget was tight last year. (Truth be told, it was pretty much non-existent). We were looking for thoughtful and useful gifts that were inexpensive. That’s when My Coke Rewards entered the picture. My Coke Rewards is a program that allows consumers to enter codes from Coke products to gain points. (Collin is a great source for learning about bonus codes that are offered, as well.)

The points can be redeemed for various rewards such as gift cards, magazines, movie tickets, photo gifts, and much more. Up until last year, I had only sporadically entered codes (mostly to redeem entries for vacation sweepstakes – unfortunately, none were winners). I’d never given much thought to the many other rewards available and I wasn’t sure if I’d ever be able to accumulate enough points for anything worthwhile.

However, as I perused the My Coke Rewards catalog, I saw many gifts that were perfect for our family. We were able to gift several magazine subscriptions that catered to our family members’ specific tastes. We redeemed points for AMC movie experience packages that included tickets and refreshments. Those were a huge hit! We were even able to redeem points for a $50 gift card to Nike.com to get my brother a very nice hooded sweatshirt. Based on gift card values and average prices, a conservative estimate of our savings is around $150. All because of points from a product we were buying anyway!

Be on the lookout, because last year around Christmas, My Coke Rewards offered a “holiday shop” with a variety of store gift cards available for redemption. Many of those gift cards were not available during the rest of the year. There were also several promotions in which points were reduced for certain items (like the movie tickets and the Nike gift cards)! My Coke Rewards regularly features reduced-point items on Wednesdays. You can sign up for a free account at mycokerewards.com.

This year I’m looking forward to cashing in my points for several personalized products available from Shutterfly and a Blockbuster family night package, which includes movie rentals and snacks. If you are a Coke product drinker or know someone who is, I encourage you to start saving your points for Christmas! You won’t be disappointed.

For more information on the Hip2Save This Holiday series and to learn how you can participate in the fun, click here!

• bhw says:

I started using Coke Rewards this year from what I learned on Hip2Save. I’ve already gotten a magazine subscription to Cooking Light!

I’m hoping someone can help me…I’ve gotten several codes off of my 2 liter Coke bottle caps, but whenever I enter them, I get a message saying they are not valid. Does anyone else have this problem? What am I doing wrong?

• Nicole says:

you may be mixing up the letter o and the zero…I know I do that from time to time….

• Dawn says:

SO not trying to be the “grinch” here, as obviously it helps to save codes on products for “freebies”! But wouldn’t they have saved that much anyway if they DIDN’T buy soda? (This coming from someone who rarely drinks soda….) :) Case in point, I don’t always buy Huggies brand diapers so I can get “codes” when I can get Kirkland or Walmart brands much cheaper without any codes……….I’m just talking overall savings…… but yay for you if you drink a lot of soda! :)

• Emily says:

She said “All because of points from a product we were buying anyway!” Plus who would buy a higher priced item just for the codes?? Surely not a Hip2Save’er. I have several friends who used to just throw their codes out, so now they give them to me. :)

• Ashley says:

I’m a diet coke-aholic. It’s my one splurge in life. I’d save a lot of money if I stopped drinking pop, but that isn’t going to happen anytime soon so I might as well get rewarded for it, lol!

• rebate queen says:

I rarely drink soda either, but by having several people that do save the codes for me, I have racked up quite a few points. As a matter of fact, I just redeemed 1900 yesterday for the stoneware 6 piece mixing bowl set. Yes, it has taken awhile, but I wasn’t out a dime!!

• Tilla Ham says:

i’m addicted to coke and we drink a lot, i always forget about my coke rewards, this post inspired me to try again!

• mel says:

That’s the perk of the program, to reward you for your loyalty! I’m nowhere near a big soda drinker anymore, but I do have several family members that save the flaps & caps for me. With pampers/huggies, even though my kids are much older, I still enter the points whenever Collin posts, just never know what goodies lurk by banking them! With my first, I was totally brand loyal to Pampers, I tried other brands and they didn’t work, but the program was different then. With my 2nd, I bounced around whatever brand was cheapest. I never really thought about just buying name brand b/c of the codes, just that it was a plus whenever I could get a pack of Huggies or Pampers cheap.

• Lynne says:

We almost never buy soda here, but we have lots of Coke points. My husband brings the caps home from coworkers and a very dear lady we found through Craigslist save all her points for us. We go pick them up every couple months from her.

• Margie says:

ITA, Dawn! I mean, I would give up soda to buy gifts.

• Suzanne says:

Dawn I agree with your point. If budgets are really tight soft drinks are an easy place start where cutting back is concerned. Aside from that my mom and MIL give their codes :)

• marlene says:

my dad collects cans and bottles to recycle and always gives me the coke caps thats how i get my rewards and this year i redeemed them for 3 six flags tickets for my family i got them on a wednesday when they were reduced and redeemed 750 points and my son didnt know they were free all he knew is that he had never gone to six flags and we only took him because they were free can afford that right now but we had a blast. thank you coke rewards

• Melissa says:

ITA. The title of the article says that MCR saved Christmas. My first thought, too, was that if you needed mcr to have money for christmas then it is time to cut back on soda!

• Summer says:

I agree with Dawn, you can’t afford gifts, but you can afford Coke?! Truly everyone has money for what they choose to spend it on. Perhaps you save on other things to feed a Coke addiction, or many things. And many people pointed out, they recieved codes free from others. Not a grinch commment, as much as an observation many of us had.

• MommySpendsLess says:

Dawn, that was my knee-jerk reaction as well. If they skipped the Coke altogether for a month or two and put that money in savings account…

Then again I have a wicked iced tea addiction (like 84 oz/day) and I think I’d be hard pressed to give up my tea for anything! (‘Course a box of cold brew tea bags is about $2.79 and lasts me just over a week).

Regardless of how they choose to spend their money, it’s a good reminder to take advantage of loyalty programs when you can. I bought a lot of Huggies when my daughter was younger because that’s where I found good deals (and I love their wipes!). I entered the points and ended up with a $15 Melissa & Doug toy for free that my daughter still enjoys. The rewards didn’t influence my purchase but was definitely a nice little bonus :)

• Amber says:

If you’re on here a lot, Collin often posts “bonus” MCR points. I’ve gotten several hundred points just from the bonus points she puts on here. Plus, every now and then, they’ll mark down a reward to 0 points for a day or so. You don’t have to drink/buy a lot of Coke to benefit!

• Danielle says:

im glad someone said what I was thinking. I am a starbucks addict, but around the holidays, I always cut it down/out because presents are much more important then a latte…

• Carrie says:

I don’t usually buy soda…and even if and when I do, it’s usually on sale, or with a coupon for a special occasion. That being said I have a sister who loves her coca cola and for my birthday in March she handed me a birthday card about 3 inches thick. It had over 25, 10 pt 12pack codes!!!! YAY!!! So let’s not assume we are spending our money on soda……if we do its usually for pennies or a special occasion, we just let everyone who does buy soda give us their codes, or I pick them up anytime I see them, case I point, helping pick up at family parties, they all know I will be confiscating all empty bottle caps for my collection.

• Jen B says:

I love Coke Rewards.. I am addicted to Diet Coke, so I am going to buy it anyway. Over the years, I have gotten free photo books, folding camping chairs, magazine subscriptions, Nike gift cards, free coupons 12pk coupons, and more. I even have friends who don’t think entering the codes are worth their time, so they give me theirs too!

• holi says:

I have had many days where I have nearly pulled the car over because I saw a coke cap! I have got 2 carry-on luggage bags, but this was back when prizes had point values up to 15,000! I find it more difficult to prizes I like now, but gift cards & free crackers & pop are nice!

• Julie says:

I get about 95% of my codes from family members or from athletic events they always sell powerade so I keep a little bag in my car and when I see one (sometimes at baseball games I can get 10 codes) i throw it in my bag.. So basically for me its free!! :)

• lrrotti says:

I love MCR!! Just today Publix had a B2G1 sale and i used 2 free12pk coupons so I got ALL 3 FREE!!And like another poster stated I have about 5 people giving me thier codes!! My dad gives me his also so I set up an account for him and I will get him a free 12pk w/ the points!!

• Amy says:

My husband’s work has a Powerade machine and he is the resident “trash digger” to get all the caps from those Powerade bottles. Over a few years, we’ve gotten so many free gift cards and other cool things just by him bringing caps home. We don’t drink soda, so we would never earn enough if it wasn’t for him! My kids are trained to grab caps off of bottles they see in parking lots, etc. Just another thought on how to get more codes…

• JenS says:

If you are a PTA member, sign your group up for the rewards program for schools. Our first year I signed us up and Coke sent the school a Flip video camera as a free gift. We then were able to cash in our points for some great art supplies at the end of the year. Lots of people are willing to give the caps to a charity – you just need to find someone willing to enter them in for the group.

• Renee says:

I’m not a brand loyal Coke drinker-I buy what’s on sale. I personally like Pepsi better and Dr. Pepper where I live is bottled by Pepsi. That being said…I fished a Coke Zero bottle off the top of the trash while buying my papers this past Sunday. I told my husband “that’s 3 points just laying there!”

• Jennifer says:

I’m curious how much she spent on Coke to get $150 in rewards. We’ve done much better at finding extra money, by practically eliminating drinks. Helps keep the calories down too!

• mer says:

When I was a teacher (before I was a SAHM), all the kids knew I collected MCR codes. They all brought me their caps and even codes from home. The softball girls had to pour out lots of cokes that had expired and they brought me a huge bag of caps!!! That was fun!!

• Amber says:

I’m thankful for my coke rewards! I have gotten so much stuff from there and it has always helped us get out Christmas gifts. I’m very thankful for my father in law cause he always get coke lids and boxes for me. Anytime he sees a lid on the ground or on someone else’s drink, he always gets them for me. He goes on a man hunt for me for the lids. He’s the best father in law ever!

• Becky says:

agree w/others….soda is my one vice in life…I don’t drink or smoke and enjoy soda…gonna but it anyway so why not reap some rewards! :)

• Raquel says:

I collect My Coke Rewards points, but basically it’s because I buy the product, I’m always waiting for a good deal on Wednesday but did not change just for change because I think there are better deals elsewhere that there.
    For example magazine subscriptions 100 points there sometimes, but the same journal in Recyclebank this by 175, the difference is that in My Coke Rewards gather 100 points equals a lot of money and is free Recyclebank.
    It’s a good way to get deals but you have to know what, not simply because if.

• Kathy says:

I too agree, I’ve never entered the letter O, it is always a number 0. Also, another trick I’ve learned is to put your cap on top of a flashlight in order to read it more clearly(works great on some colors like red and green, but not on black).

• Kristen says:

It’s so hard to walk out of the football games on Friday nights when the ground is COVERED with coke caps!!! Lol I want to pick them up so bad..but I also don’t want people starin at the strange girl pickin up bottle caps :) but I really love the mycokerewards and how Collin always gives out bonus codes on here!!!! I <3 it!!!!

• Jennifer says:

Haha you should just pick them up. If anyone says anything, just say you are “recycling” them! Everybody loves recycling!

• VB says:

Thats how I feel when I am at self check out and I glance down to the box that is used as a garbage can for receipts along with Cats. If I see a Cat I pick it up and have found $5 cats by doing something that other ppl may think is weird.

• marlene says:

what i do is i text in the code i dont have to go online as much

• Catie says:

I got 2 free photo blankets from shutterfly for christmas gifts last year! Such an awesome program!

• Jennifer says:

Just checked my rewards and I lost 623 rewards due to inactivity in 90 days. What a bummer! I emailed them because I never saw an email or anything saying they would expire but we’ll see. I also noticed that they said the program will end at the end of the year and they might not extend it so I would say use your points now or you may lose them.

• Casey says:

Last year, when my budget was short, I cashed in some of my points from my debit card. I earn 1 point per dollar and checked my balance. I was able to get Christmas gifts for everyone without spending anything!

• Tracy says:

Seems I need to drink quite a lot of Coke in order to get any kind of gift!!

• Lindsay says:

I’m lucky I’m a supervisor at a call center, and all my employees give me their caps when they’re done their drinks. I get magazine subscriptions and free coupons for FREE! (I don’t even drink that much soda :) )

• mmosso says:

For all you non-soda drinkers you can accumulate points from Dasani water packs as well! I have my sister who works in a warehouse collecting for me and one of my co-workers who ONLY drinks Dasani waters….I say most of my points come from friends and family!

• la toya says:

i just redeemed my coke reward points for the 12 days of xmas for the free 12 pack of coke everybody was saying that the limit was 4 but it is actually 1, next time i which the info would be more accurate. it was a big waste of time hunting down all those caps in hopes of four 12 packs. it’s going to say that you have reached the maximum limit of 1 item, bummer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!