Hip2Save This Holiday Guest Post Submitted By Reader, Nicole …
I have been couponing for 2 years now, and it’s become a big part of my life! I love talking to people about using coupons, how easy (and fun) it is and how much money they can save! I’m always trying to save my friends and family money, so when my best friend started having money problems I knew coupons could make a big difference for her! I’ve told her a lot about how to use coupons, but she still gets overwhelmed by it and doesn’t quite know what is what. Since money is so tight we agreed to not exchange gifts for Christmas. Well, I lied. I did get her a gift, actually I made her one (for free). Her very own 12 Days of Couponing!
The idea is really simple, but one I hope she appreciates (and uses!!!). I took 12 regular business envelopes and typed “1-12” on them with “On the 1st day of Couponing my best friend gave to me…” underneath. Then I typed up a short synopsis of each couponing topic and put it inside the envelope. Sealed and ready for her to open one each day!
Here are the topics I covered for her – but you could use any of your own advice and personalize it for whoever your 12 Days are for!
1. Sale Cycle (knowing when to buy)
2. Stacking (store & manufacturer coupons)
3. Law of percentages (getting your biggest discounts)
4. Penny count (comparison shopping)
5. Facebook (freebies and samples)
6. Twitter (freebies and samples)
7. Swagbucks (earning sites)
8. Groupon (deal sites)
9. Know your drugstores (Rite Aid & Walgreen rewards)
10. Birthday freebies (joining clubs)
11. Fan forever (requesting coupons from companies)
For the 12th day, I loaded up the last envelope with a ton of free product coupons, and $ off coupons for products that I know she already buys. Coupons for pasta, candy, toothpaste, razors, cheese, bbq sauce, you name it! Hopefully my advice and “seed” coupons will get her excited about using coupons in 2013 – I know she’ll get addicted as soon as she starts!