Hip2Save This Holiday: The 12 Days of Couponing

Hip2Save This Holiday Guest Post Submitted By Reader, Nicole

I have been couponing for 2 years now, and it’s become a big part of my life! I love talking to people about using coupons, how easy (and fun) it is and how much money they can save! I’m always trying to save my friends and family money, so when my best friend started having money problems I knew coupons could make a big difference for her! I’ve told her a lot about how to use coupons, but she still gets overwhelmed by it and doesn’t quite know what is what. Since money is so tight we agreed to not exchange gifts for Christmas. Well, I lied. I did get her a gift, actually I made her one (for free). Her very own 12 Days of Couponing!

The idea is really simple, but one I hope she appreciates (and uses!!!). I took 12 regular business envelopes and typed “1-12″ on them with “On the 1st day of Couponing my best friend gave to me…” underneath. Then I typed up a short synopsis of each couponing topic and put it inside the envelope. Sealed and ready for her to open one each day!

Here are the topics I covered for her – but you could use any of your own advice and personalize it for whoever your 12 Days are for!
1. Sale Cycle (knowing when to buy)
2. Stacking (store & manufacturer coupons)
3. Law of percentages (getting your biggest discounts)
4. Penny count (comparison shopping)
5. Facebook (freebies and samples)
6. Twitter (freebies and samples)
7. Swagbucks (earning sites)
8. Groupon (deal sites)
9. Know your drugstores (Rite Aid & Walgreen rewards)
10. Birthday freebies (joining clubs)
11. Fan forever (requesting coupons from companies)

For the 12th day, I loaded up the last envelope with a ton of free product coupons, and $ off coupons for products that I know she already buys. Coupons for pasta, candy, toothpaste, razors, cheese, bbq sauce, you name it! Hopefully my advice and “seed” coupons will get her excited about using coupons in 2013 – I know she’ll get addicted as soon as she starts!

For more information on my Hip2Save This Holiday series and to learn how you can participate in the fun, click here!

• Kimberly says:

Love this ! :-) what a great friend!

• CWDsouza says:

i am new to couponing & freebies too. I get confused with couponing. Please share the details on hip2save so that people like me can also be happy like your best
    friend

• Nicole says:

• Michelle says:

Wow, you are a good friend! That must have taken a lot of time. I’m sure your friend will appreciate your thoughtful gift!

• Alea says:

Wow!!! What a fantastic and creative idea :)

• what a great idea!

• Emily says:

That is an awesome deal! It isn’t just clipping that gets confusing, if you live close maybe you can include on the last day a coupon for a free planning session and shopping trip together? Then you can show her how ECB’s work at CVS for example and all the good stuff!

• ThuyO says:

No nice and kind of Nicole, I am sure her friend will love it. She must be so blessed to have a friend like Nicole

• Heather says:

Pure Genius!

• Karla says:

Hi! i love this idea so much. I am a young stay at home mom who is in her first year of couponing and shopping on a tight budget. I would so appreciate to details you put in the 12 days of christmas. If you are willing to share i would love that!

• Holly says:

What a great gift! Your booklet will mean more to your friend than any store bought present.

• Megan says:

That’s a great idea! I may do this for my niece who just had a second baby and could use any help she can get to save money.

• Katie says:

I’m having a couponing class in December with just some family to introduce them to it, Would you mind if I did something like this there to help them? I don’t want to steal your idea without your permission!

• fran says:

Hi Katie,
      Just in case Nicole doesn’t get to answer your question, please allow me to. I’m sure the reason Nicole shared her idea, is to give Hip’s readers another way to pay it forward.
      So, run with it! ;)
      Great idea, Nicole ;)

• Nicole says:

Absolutely! The more info we share the better we all will be! If anyone wants to get the “topics”, send me an email to bolgercoupon(at)yahoo(dot)com and I’ll shoot you back what I wrote up for my bestie!

• Sara says:

The best thing about this gift is she’ll always remember it, you’ll remember it together for years to come.

• jennifer says:

Love this!! She will never forget your kindness and what you’re really ‘giving’ her. I remember asking a lady with binder one time at target out of the blue where she got her info, etc. I will NEVER forget her taking the time out of her day to talk to me and I cannot put a price on the betterment for our family, not just saving money but the stress free feeling that if we do actually ‘need’ something, I can probably find a deal on it so we can afford it. LET’S ALL PASS THIS ONE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Amanda says:

I love this! And I would love if you could post the templates!!! This would be a great gift for my BFF and Mom!

• Nicole says:

• Jen says:

That is awesome! I love it!

• lisa says:

I Love this “IDEA”. I too love to save money and have been couponing now for a year. I try as much as possible to show friends and family how to coupon and to match up things that go together. When they show me or tell me how much money they save(even though they are still learning) it makes me very happy to know that people like you taught me how to coupon in the first place. Again thank you for all you do.

• that would be awesome if you could post the file so that we could all click on it and perhaps do the same! love this!

• Nicole says:

• Kristen says:

OMG, please let me know if you are ever in the market for an additional best friend!!! What an awesome gift, especially #12 ;)

• Renee says:

What an incredibly thoughtful and well put together gift. Nicole, your friend is lucky to have someone so kind and encouraging her life! Thanks for sharing.

• krisoftwo says:

I would love the info too! This would be prefect and cute to send to my in-laws! I love that you made it cute too!!!!!!!

• Nicole says:

• Lucky says:

Lovely idea. I started couponing last year But the most dreadful thing about coupons I don’t like is cashiers who try to make their own rules when you try to redeem a coupon like last night I was stacking a target coupon with a MQ but the cashier won’t take the MQ saying I already used a q then I said its a target q and this is a MQ then she said no you can’t then I told her yes you can but she won’t budge so I said to her call the manager thankfully the manager was nice he said yes we can I think she was mad because I paid so little after all these coupons and plus got a gift card ( robitussin deal) so it’s always a good idea to carry coupon policy with you always you

• AnnaM. (Maryann) says:

A friend just had a similar situation at Walmart. A cashier refused to price match a Butterball turkey because she “didn’t have her ads with her” and refused to go to ask the cashier beside her to borrow one for a moment.

• Ger says:

What a wonderful, creative, and thoughtful friend you are, Nicole! Such an awesome idea!

• janel says:

So smart and sweet!

• Livvy says:

What makes it such a great gift was that it was creative, original, took no money but lots of time, and was completely tailored to her. Off-the-shelf gifts are never appreciated as much as something like this.

• Betty says:

This is such a wonderful gift! It literally is the gift that keeps on giving! I love how creative and thoughtful it is. You are a really cool best friend :D I really like how nice and organized it looks too, with the little images and everything. So super cool. I wish I could do this for my mother but she lives in Canada and I find it much more difficult to find deals for her, I also dont know how their coupon policies work or anything like that. Maybe I should do some serious research and figure out something similar for her and my sister, as they are both on VERY limited budgets. Congtrats on having such a great idea, I’m sure it will be really well received and appreciated for years and years to come! Way to go :)

• Nicole says:

Thanks for all your comments! I’m so glad some of you want to do this too – it wasn’t that hard to do, but it does take a little time. If you want to use my document as a springboard feel free! Send me an email and I’ll give you a copy – I did it in Word so people could use it, there are a couple things you will need to change (my best friend’s birthday is in there, etc.) bolgercoupon(at)yahoo(dot)com.