Hip2Save This Holiday: Christmas Cards from a Christmas Town

Hip2Save This Holiday Guest Post Submitted By Reader Ashley…

A fun (and frugal!) holiday adventure that my husband and I do each year is we drive to Christmas, Florida to have our Christmas cards mailed. Not only do the Christmas cards get a postmark from a town named Christmas, but the post office also has a decorative stamp for everyone to use that says “This card was mailed from Christmas, Florida”. In addition, there is a special post office box that mails letters directly to Santa. Although we do not have children, I am guessing it is quite fun for the little ones to drop their letters here.

Christmas, Florida is not the only holiday-named town. There are almost 200 across the United States. A comprehensive list can be found here: http://www.accuracyproject.org/towns-xmas.html. Many Hip2Savers could have their Christmas cards postmarked at a holiday-themed town. I would suggest calling ahead to make sure the town has a post office, as some towns may be very small.

Family members could decorate the outside of the envelope themed by the postmark (stars for the town of Star, Santa for the towns named Santa, etc.) or there could be a prize for the recipient who guesses what is special about the Christmas card.

All in all, except for the extra gas to get to a different post office, this adventure has no extra cost over the mailing of the Christmas cards most people already send out. I would recommend Hip2Savers checking to see if any of these towns are close to them!

For more information on my Hip2Save This Holiday series and to learn how you can participate in the fun, click here!

• Tracy says:

Santa Claus, Indiana has a special picture postmark for holiday mail. The town is awesome but this is one of the coolest things! http://www.santaclausind.org/press-releases/santa-claus-postmark-chosen-for-2012-christmas-season

• nikki says:

We have a family Christmas tradition we do every 2nd weeknd in December.
    We drive a little over 3 hours from Atlanta to a tiny little town in NC called Dillsboro for their annual and very charming Lights & Luminaries celebration.
    It actaully takes place 2 times in Dec-the 1st and 2nd weekend. This yr it will be held on Dec 7&8 and 14&15. The town will feature little luminaries lit up at dusk on every street, shops will be open late as folks stroll the town, enjoying warm cider/coffee and cookies at every stop. There’s a sweet Christmas store there, as well as several B&B’s. Cherokee is right down the road, as well as the tiny town of Sylva-next door. You can find lodging in all these places. If you’ve been looking for something nostalgic, warm and cozy to do as a couple or with the whole bunch-consider a weekend @ Dillsboro this Dec.
    And keep in mind Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge are just over the mtns. We always go to both places while up there.
    Make some new family traditions-if you live within 3-4 hrs. of Dillsoboro (google it), consider going.
    You’ll be glad you did!

• erica says:

how do you go about having your letters forwarded to a location like this and then sent on to your recipient? do you just address it to that post office and write “please forward” on the card?

• Kathy says:

I live in Indiana and Santa Claus, Indiana is always a big hit this time of year!

• how fun!! I bet the little and big kids alike enjoy this!!

• Andrea says:

I live near Bethlehem, GA and I’m taking my Christmas cards there to be mailed this year :)

• Deb says:

We ADORE Dillsboro!
    1st discovered it in the local paper-have been going ever since.
    Dont u just love the Jarrett House B&B?

• Anna B says:

You can do it without driving! Just send all your letters in a big envelope to the postmaster. Here is more information- http://about.usps.com/who-we-are/postal-history/christmas-post-office-names.pdf

• Anne says:

And send your wedding invites from Bridal Veil, OR. It’s a little tiny “shack” post office in the Columbia River Gorge (outside of Portland)…and they even have special poastmarks (doves opening a letter or 2 hearts entwined). It’s worth the drive just to visit!

• Laura says:

My SIL and her family live in Nazareth, PA…right next to Bethlehem, PA. :)

• Tracy says:

Thanks so much for sharing this! We’re flying to Orlando next week for vacation and I’m thinking about driving to Christmas and mailing our Christmas cards from there :)

• Karen says:

This is what a friend posted on FB just about 30 minutes ago:

Every year as Christmas approaches, the USPS® offers a service to have your letters postmarked from the North Pole. The process is simple:

• Place a letter to your child in an envelope addressed to your child with a return address from SANTA, NORTH POLE – make sure to have First-Class™ postage on the envelope.
    • Place that envelope into a larger envelope with the appropriate postage and address this envelope to:

NORTH POLE HOLIDAY POSTMARK
    POSTMASTER
    4141 POSTMARK DR
    ANCHORAGE, AK 99530-9998

You can also do this with your holiday greeting cards. Just make sure each card is properly addressed and the correct postage is on the envelope, place them in a larger envelope or box and mail to the address above. Letters from Santa or greeting cards need to be sent to Anchorage by December 10.

• Susan F. says:

I’m from Nazareth, TX, and I know they used to do a special postmark with a nativity on it.

• Kristen says:

I mail my cards from Christmas FL too!

• Sarah says:

I think a lot of the places on the list are unincorporated and they wouldn’t have their own post office because they aren’t an actual town, just a neighborhood or area. Something to be aware of.

• Heather C says:

Our favorite is North Pole, Alaska just outside of Fairbanks. While many people probably won’t be driving by there anytime soon, I think you can do the forwarding from the USPS as well. Also you can order a letter from Santa from the Santa Claus house is North Pole Alaska… :o)

• Dianne says:

We live in East Orlando, next to Christmas, FL. There isnt much there but the post office. But people come from miles around to mail their cards there for the holidays.
    Happy Holidays everyone!

• Aw its 6 hours from us!

• Sherrie says:

I live right outside of Christmas Florida – what a great reminder of something so wonderful to do!

• I live in Bentonville, AR, home of Walmart….. :). Tradition around here is to head about an hour north to Noel, MO to mail our cards. They also have a special stamp! Happy Holidays

• Mandy says:

On a crazy side note, my mail lady told me she loved me and all customers like me. I get at least two packages a day from shopping on line for Christmas and she calls me her job security ;)

• Laney says:

Christmas, FL is just a short drive from us. In fact, my kids are headed there this weekend with their grandparents to celebrate “Florida Cracker Christmas” – haha. Never thought of letting them bring their letters to Santa! What a great idea. BTW it is 80 degrees here this weekend in my part of Florida.

• Jamie says:

My 3 kiddos got 3 letters in the mail yesterday from “Santa Claus by way of Santa Claus, Indiana” ! These were awesome and I have no idea who sent them, but someone had handprinted their information on the letters and envelopes and they had the postmark from Santa Claus, Indiana. I guess this is something you can do online? I have no idea who sent them!

• Lyndsay says:

I grew up in a small town called Christmas! But it is in the upper peninsula of Michigan! It is more like a village, really. My family owned a little store called Santa’s Gift Shop and we’d mail out letters from Santa :)