Hip2Save This Holiday: Craft of the Month Club

Hip2Save This Holiday Guest Post submitted by reader, Tera B.:

Last year when I asked for Christmas gift ideas for my nephews, my sister mentioned a few different ideas, including a magazine subscription or craft kits. I loved the idea of a gift that keeps coming every month, so I looked into the subscription, but it was way out of my price range, and I couldn’t find any deals to bring the price down.

I love to do crafts, so my next step was to check out some craft kits at my favorite craft store. But as I was wandering around, looking at all the cute craft kits, I couldn’t bring myself to buy any of them because I kept thinking I could put together the crafts so much less expensively than the kits cost.

That day in the craft store, an idea was born: The Craft of the Month Club. For the past year, I have given my nephews supplies and instructions to make at least 3 seasonal crafts each month. Because I’ve mostly used supplies I already have on hand or recycled materials, and I use a coupon to purchase any additional supplies that need to be included, it’s cost less than $20 total to do this for my nephews this past year–not bad, considering this was the equivalent of more than 72 craft kits! We live 500 miles apart, so to save on postage, I’ve put several months’ worth of kits together at once and hand delivered them during visits. Cheap gift, right? They and their mom have enjoyed it so much and I’ve enjoyed putting together the kits for them.

Above you can see pictures of the December box, ready to be delivered to my nephews–as well as a pic of all of the crafts for August through December, which I delivered to the boys when we saw each other in July. For ideas on crafts to include in your own Craft of the Month club, check out the Craft of the Month posts on my blog here.

If crafts aren’t your thing, how about a baking kit of the month club or a coloring page of the month club (using free printable coloring sheets) or a sticker of the month club? The possibilities are endless! I’m even considering a science-experiment-of-the-month club for my nephews’ Christmas gift this year. Happy gift-of-the-month giving!

For more information on the Hip2Save This Holiday series and to learn how you can participate in the fun, click here!

• Ashley57 says:

So cute! Thanks for sharing. I want to do this for my nieces and nephews someday (when I have them…)

• Erin says:

This is a truly awesome, thoughtful gift idea. I’m googling the snowman craft!

• Jennifer S says:

How cute!

• Christi says:

this is great! i gave my dad a “cookie of the month club” that i made myself. i even printed a little menu for it and gave it to him for christmas along with some christmas cookies to get him started. i never would have thought of crafts!

• Kate says:

That’s a really neat idea — my kids would love something like that!

• Jessica says:

LOVE this idea! My brother lives blocks away from me, and yet we at times manage to not see eachother for months on end. I love his kids and thought that this would be an awesome way to make sure I see them at least once a month. I just called my brother and told him he needs to pick a day out of each month for his daughter and son (my neice and nephew) to come over to my place and do a “craft of the month” with me and my son. :) The kids will love this!

• Mandy B says:

How cute! My niece would love this!

• Meridith says:

Great idea! I have 3 step children ages 19, 19, and 15…as well as their bf’s and gf to buy for every year (along with a very big extended family that we all exchange gifts) I bought every single person a magazine subscription last year and got them through discountmags.com I got most of them for about 5.00 for an entire year!!! Everyone LOVED these magazines…so much that everyone asked for them again this year!!! :)

• Melissa says:

This post reminded me of a crafting site that I check for laughs every now and then. (This is no reflection on the article above or idea itself, which I think is great.) If you have a quirky sense of humor you should appreciate the site. It is: tamponcrafts.com. Enjoy!

• Ashley says:

Adorable!

• tcourtney says:

What an awesome idea! My niece’s and nephew are so craft oriented, I almost always end up getting them some form of craft kit as gifts, but shopping this year I felt like they were all “been there done that”. This is such a clever way to extend the excitement of that special holiday or birthday gift. I am not sure I will pull this together in time, but this will be on the agenda for either upcoming birthdays or next Christmas for sure! Thanks for the fun idea!

• Cari says:

I LOVE this idea!!!! What a fabulous idea for a Christmas or birthday gift. I’d love to do this for my nieces and nephews and of course my own kids. It could even be turned into a fun party event for the parents to bring 12 boxes or ziplock bags and have a bunch of supplies and make the kits together for the whole year. Hmm… I think I’ll share this idea with my sister and maybe we can have a grown up party with our mommy friends to assemble them.

Cari @ Reach For The Star Berries
    Reach For The Star Berries

• Kristin says:

Cute Idea and my husband loves the Hitec box– good servos from that company! :)

• claire says:

Such a cute idea. When we were kids my grandmother, who lived 12 hours away, gave my sister and I a year of gifts for Christmas. She wrapped a small gift for every month. Like a pair of sunglasses for summer. She shopped the whole year before (I am sure she got all the holiday presents on sale after the holiday). My sister and looked forward to the first day of the month when we could open our presents.

• Martina says:

So cute!

• Pam says:

This is a great idea. Many years ago I did a DESSERT OF THE MONTH club for my father-in-law. My MIL was not a baker and he loved my desserts. He loved getting a favorite item of his every month during the year and I loved watching him decide every month what goody he was longing for. Such wonderful memories!

• Leslie says:

LOVE this idea! So GREAT for the grandkids! Thanks for sharing.

• Kristina says:

I LOVE this idea!

• dee says:

When my kids were little 20 yrs ago I did the same thing. I would use the craft instructions from the Highlights books and make big ziploc bags of the craft. I put everything that was needed to make the craft in the bag, including the glue, glitter, and whatnot. They always had fun making the stuff.