Simple & Thoughtful Teacher Gift Idea: Fresh Pineapple (Plus, Share Yours!)

If you’re still in need of a last minute teacher’s gift that is budget-friendly (and healthy!), check out this email that I received from reader and teacher, Jamie…

Every year at around this time, I see readers posting questions about what hip gifts to get teachers during the holiday season. I am a teacher and I would like to start by saying that absolutely nothing is expected from families this time of year. But, it is a nice surprise when parents send a card to school with students or something to say thanks for what you do. In a season where candy and cookies are almost unavoidable – this year I received the best teacher gift ever. A parent sent a fresh pineapple with a bow to school for each of their student’s teachers. I just thought that was a thoughtful healthy gift that I really appreciated.

I know that pineapple coupons periodically come available on Coupons.com and when paired with a sale this could be an inexpensive gift to let them know that they are appreciated.

Thanks for passing this idea along, Jamie! Also, if any of you have any last minute frugal teacher gift ideas, please feel free to share them in the comments below. Thanks so much! :)

• Being just 21 and on a very tight budget, I wanted to donate..but wasn’t sure what I could do. Considering the recent CT tragedy, I wanted to make sure our local Elementary teachers knew just how much we appreciate them! Going through my stockpile I realized I had a ton of pens, rulers, paper, coffee and tea samples, crayons and other school supplies that I bought at little or no cost to me. I stopped at Walgreens and they had cute little tin cans..they almost look like paint cans with various holiday words painted on them for only 1.50 a piece. It made perfect teachers christmas “baskets”! I wrote out a single card asking that they be disbursed to all the teachers and signed it simply a former (insert Elem. school) student. I can’t wait to bring them to the school tomorrow!!! :) :) Happy Holidays everyone!!

• Jennifer J says:

We ask my daughter’s teacher for their favorite (non-alcoholic) beverage. That is their gift. We know that they enjoy it and it is generally inexpensive. Two teachers like water, one likes regular Coke and one likes Diet Coke. With all the sales going at this time of year, these gifts are reasonable and appreciated.

• Angie says:

If you add brown pipe cleaner for antlers glue on wiggly eyes and pom pom noses you have a 6 pack of reindeer! I saw it on pintrest and made them for the Children’s Church leader. She loved it!

• Brenda says:

My kids are in the upper grdes. Last year I decorated a basket, added a thank you note to the teachers and office staff, and filled it with hot chocolates packets that you get from Sams Club. When they were in the lower grades, one year, all the parents got together and we sent in complete dinners for the teachers to take home with them to their famalies. Five dinners in all and in throw away containers. It was given to them at the beginning of the last week of school before Christmas.

• lyncecelia says:

As someone who is allergic to pineapples, I wouldn’t be to excited to receive one for Christmas, considering I can’t even touch it to move it off my desk. But I think the thought is awesome still :)

• Destiny says:

I made homemade bread for the bus drivers and he made coasters for my sons teachers, secretary, and cafeteria lady, but I do live in a super small town and the lunch lady is also my sons Sunday School teacher. They were super easy CHEAP and easy and so made them a set at a time. I made them from shower tile, mod Podge, and I printed the pictures on photo paper from the Dollar Tree. Since I m a teacher myself, personal gifts are the best. If you are friends with your teachers child on Facebook, simply download a few pictures and you have personal gifts!!

• J says:

My kids teachers are getting Burt’s Bees stuff (from recent Hip offer) with a hang tag that says “Thanks for “B”-ing my teacher” (the B has little bees flying around it)

• Natasha C says:

I got the teachers gift certificates to a local restaurant and 2 redbox rentals each with a little note that said dinner and a movie on us. I figured it was something that they could use and both have really long expatriation dates so no rush to use them.

• Lc says:

Uh oh… We’re giving godiva and a gift card lol

• Lori says:

Pineapples are only $1.29 at Aldi’s in Arkansas. :)

• Julieanne28 says:

My son is now in middle school so he has 6 teachers. We made grinch pills, snowman poop, and snowman soup for each of them. You can find them all on Pinterest :) When he was in elementary school we did school supplies, personal ornaments, or blockbuster card/popcorn/candy.

• teshia flynn says:

Ok to all the teachers out there, here’s what I got my daughter’s teachers. I got them a scarf and then I monogrammed their initial on it.. I have my own embroidery machine so that part was free and the scarves were bought on black Friday so I got a really good deal on some very nice scarves.. My husband thought it was lame, but he’s not into the monogrammed stuff.. What do y’all think.. She took them to school with her today, fingers crossed I hop they like them. She has 2 wonderful teachers.

• JoAnna says:

My daughter wrote one general thank you letter–we leave the teacher name off and the subject blank then I photocopy it so she can add the teacher name and subject to the letter (10 letters!). She adds a drawing to each letter and addresses the envelopes. I bought Mrs. Prindable’s caramel chocolate apples (a sweet treat with a bit of good for you). For specialist teachers, dance teacher and the bus driver we also gave $5 Target gift cards and for her main teachers (3) they also got $15 Target gift cards. To make this affordable I save all the $5 Target gift cards I earn from deals throughout the year. I use those to “buy” fun patterned gift cards that my daughter picks out for the teacher gifts. I also include a thank you note from me and my hubby.

• Crystal H says:

My daughter has 10 teachers & my son has 5 including bus drivers. My mom got me a case of peach bud candy that is made locally and is so good, so one wrapped up for each. My daughter also custom made her chorus teacher a cinnamon applesauce ornament.

• nicole j says:

This yr I did a cupcake kit ($1.50 clearance TjMaxx) a holiday towel (1.97 Walmart) and an ornament (3.49 KOHLS) all in her favorite-OWLS! for my son’s 4th grade teacher….For my other son’s 3rd grade teacher I did the 2 for $5 scarf/glove deal from Old Navy-so cute! I also buy for the 2 office secretary’s, principal, librarian and the boys former teachers…I use coupons for candy like toblerone, nips, m & m’s -I often get them FREE or only $1…attatch a little tag and you are good to go! just a little something to sweeten their holiday….in the past I have done handmade fleece blankets (with the Black Friday Joann fabric fleece deal) ornaments (clearance after xmas…individually wrapped with a handful of kisses, or other xmas candy) homemade pb fudge with cute holidy dish towels, and a favorite every year (typically our end of the yr gift)….a framed/matted picture of the class-signed by all the kiddos

• holi says:

I sent our Pineapples in today! My 10th grader would not say “This is a Healthy & Sweet Christmas Treat!” She told me it was lame. But the Teachers LOVED IT! I guess they were shaking them listening to the juice inside. I didn’t know pineapples even did that!