Reader Tip: A Fun Holiday Game…

Looking for a fun and affordable game to play over the Christmas holiday or anytime for that matter?! Check out this email that I received from reader, Holly…

My mother always likes to do something fun or special when we get the whole family together. She emailed me this morning a great idea of a game to play with the whole family. She will gather 12-15 smaller sized items, place them on a tray, gather everybody around and everybody will look at what is on the tray for 30 seconds (or a minute, however long you think is necessary – I am sure this will vary by what age groups you have playing). Then cover up the tray and everybody then has to quickly write down what they can remember. Whoever has the most items written down correctly will win a “prize”. She is going to keep a theme and have all Christmas items on the tray. For example: candy cane, red and green Hershey kisses, little snowman figure, ornament, etc. I am excited to play!

• Chris says:

How fun!

We play a little Christmas game, too. I wrap some silly “gifts” from around the house, such as a box of tissues, a very ripe banana, a used candle, used chapstick, etc. Then each of my girls get to unwrap the gifts. After unwrapping, they have to 1. Say Thank you. 2. Say something nice about the “gift.” For example. “Thank you so much for this over-ripe banana. It will be perfect for making banana bread.” It’s a fun way to remind them of their manners.

• Bobbi says:

I like this idea! It would be an especially good game to play before going to a Christmas party where the kids need to remember their manners. I had a bad experience with a relative’s child being very rude when he opened a gift I gave him a few years ago. My daughter (who is the same age as him) was shocked and declared, “Well, that was rude!” LOL. I should play this game with them. :)

• Ashley says:

Good idea! Kids are ummm painfully frank sometimes so that’s a great game :) I don’t have any kids yet but my cousin (who is 6) everytime he opens a gift he goes “OH its JUST what I wanted!! ” lol its always so cute :)

• heather says:

we just had a holiday party and we played holiday minute to win it games. It was so fun and everyone really got into it especially the adults. Check out pinterest for game ideas.

• Mel says:

I’ve played that game at a baby shower with a tray of baby themed things on it. Cute idea.

• Tina says:

Cool thanks for the idea, I am always in charge of games at our Christmas gathering so I will add this one to the list…..

• Carrie says:

We did a game similar to this at a baby shower, only with baby items. It was so much fun! I never thought about a holiday themed one. Thanks for the tip!

• Rose says:

Each family that comes to our Christmas eve bash brings a game and the prize with that said here are a few we have played in the past.
    1. out of a piece of construction paper everyone holds the paper behind their back and proceeds to tear a christmas tree out of the paper. We all vote on who’s is best.
    2. we play win loose or draw with christmas theme.
    3. we have played a game where a bunch of change (coins ) are put in a coffee can or decorated christmas container. each person is blind folded and takes their turn at picking out the exact amount the person in charge of the game has asked for.. yes it is a timed game. very fun. and hard.
    4. we have printed off cartoon like pictures depicting various Christmas songs. And you try to figure out which song is being represented. You can find these on line if you search for them.
    5. We have played a game where everyone is given 21 pennies ( you could make it which ever amount you want. Then one person will make a statement such as I have swam in a river.. then everyone in room will say aloud if they have ever swam in a river. for each person who has not swam in a river gives the person whos statement it was a penny. and goes around the room til everyone gets a couple statements. So the thing is to make statements that more of them have not done to get their pennies. Very fun other examples of statement. I have never went skinny dipping. I have never drank alcohol. I have never ate bear meat. so your wanting to make a statement that most have never done before. Have fun with this one.
    6. We have blind folded player and they have to draw on a magic erase board what ever the piece of paper says on it.
    Many more just cant think of them all right now.

• Donna says:

We sometimes play a variation of this game. Instead of viewing the items on a tray, we pass a Christmas stocking (or two, depending on the size of the group) with the assortment of Christmas related items inside it and the top sewn shut. Each person gets one minute to feel the items through the outside of the stocking. then they list as many as they can remember. Some items to include are a sprig of holly, a nativity figure, a bell, a (non-breakable) Christmas ball, a tree/candle light bulb, a cookie cutter, small Christmas card, a bow, etc.

• Jennifer says:

I have played this a ton of times at baby showers. You just put baby items or items that belong to the mom on the plate. It is a cute game.

• Steph says:

I did a similar game at my sister’s bridal shower. I had the bride-to-be hold a tray full of things newlyweds would need and told everyone to “pay close attention” because they were supposed to memorize things and write them down. When she left the room, I instructed everyone to write down, with as much detail as they could, what she was wearing. Most of them had no idea, because they were paying so much attention to what was on the tray! It was a lot of fun. Give points for items and detail (ie. 1 point if you said whe was wearing earrings, another point if you said they were hoops, another point if you said they had zebra stripes, etc.)