Hip2Save This Holiday: Holiday Care Packages Filled With Free or Super Cheap Items

Hip2Save This Holiday Guest Post submitted by reader Mara

This year, we are sending care packages as gifts to family and friends filled with things we have purchased with coupons that were either free or really cheap! We went to our local craft store and bought cute boxes with Christmas designs to fill up.

What You’ll Need:

*Purchase (or ask friends and family) gift boxes that are fairly large.
*Get tissue paper, scissors, tape, ribbon, and gift wrap.
*Gather all the items that you plan on putting in the boxes.

What to Do:

1. Place tissue paper in the bottom of the gift box to make the box look more full.
2. Start by putting bigger items in the back (full size shampoo, trash bags, toothpaste, toothbrushes, etc.)
3. Then fill in the second row with items that are of medium height (medicine, playing cards, etc.)
4. Display the smallest things on the front row (chapstick, trial/travel size items, etc.)
5. After you have everything inside, put gift wrap around the whole box.
6. Bunch it at the top and tape it. To add color, tie ribbon around the bunch.
7. Add a holiday card (optional)

*This is a great way to make use of all the free samples that we hear about from Hip2Save!

• pam says:

I love this! I fix holiday care packages for my daughters. Oh, the delight they get going through the boxes!

• Cindy says:

I also do this throughout the year for birthdays, etc. I purchase plastic baskets with handles at the Dollar Tree and fill them with items like mentioned in the post. Then they can even use the basket!! I was very surprised how excited the receivers are when they get them!!

• Jenn H. says:

Also a great gift for the elderly in your community that are on their own and on a fixed income. My girls and I helped our church put together 85 such boxes this year. Our job was putting a handwritten note in each one (fulfilled the girls’ writing lesson for the week.)

• shannon says:

I was wondering if you give these to people on your gift list? They also look useful for people in nursing homes who would probalby appreciate all the goodies. Thanks for sharing.

• Shannon says:

I love to do these for baby showers. When I find out a friend or family member is pregnant, I start looking for clearance rattles and onesies and deals on wipes, diaper cream, etc. I spend a little extra on must-haves like lanolin and teething tablets. I put them all in a wicker basket (bought with a coupon from Michael’s) and some basket filler and cellophane from Dollar Tree. They are always a huge hit and everyone assumes you spent a ton of money.

• Megann says:

Great idea to send to our troops who are over seas for Christmas.

• Linda says:

Way to go Mara!!

I have managed for the past few years to fill my family’s Christmas stockings entirely with freebies! What doesn’t fit into a stocking (and there are many things, thanks to Hip2Save!) are either put into gift baskets for the elderly, women’s shelter, given to the troops or simply wrapped up in a towel or t-shirt with a Christmas ribbon tired around it and given to a homeless person we encounter during a trip about town.

I love the creative ideas of my fellow Hip2Savers!!

• marla says:

No one ever mentions giving to animal shelters. The shelters are in need of office supplies as well as pet supplies and would LOVE a basket like this.

• Kristin says:

I did this for my cousin in Chicago this year. She’s struggling working in the shoe dept at SAKS, living in the city and living off of ramen. So I sent her $10 cash and a box filled with goodies!!! It cost me $10 to send but all the make-up, Tide single loads, lotions, VS perfume, etc made her soooo happy!!! She called me and was blown away.

• JoAnn says:

I made baskets for my sister in law and for my brother in law’s girlfriend, both going to school and working part time. It may not be a “flashy” gift, but it’s things they don’t have to spend their own money on (body wash, soap, bath poof, gum, pony tail holders, makeup remover, lip stuff). I would love one myself. I hope they like it.

• Robin says:

I always wondered if people were actually excited to receive stuff like this, as I’m sure lots of Hip2Savers get stuff like this all the time in the mail, making it a little less exciting. I guess the answer is yes. Good to know, I was debating whether or not to put a bag of girly samples into our gift exchange.

• Allison says:

I always get Christmas stuff to go 75% off and buy cute ceramis things like platters etc…and save for teachers gifts. They always think I spent a bundle and they love it! One of my girls teachers started with my child and has been moving up in grades so dhe has been on my receipient list for several years. She told me only today that I am totally responsible for her Christmas serving collection and now as a newlywed, she has reason to use it to entertain!! Makes me feel great that she is so happy and I look like a hero!

• Jennifer C says:

What a lovely idea! :) These type of gifts are so fun!

• Michele says:

I have been doing this for my 3 daughters for years. They love to get razors, shampoo, tooth brushes, etc. Now that the oldest has moved out, she does like to get medicine and cleaning supplies. Less she has to buy on her own. Not everything has to be “fun”, practical and useful should be considered these days.