Hip2Save This Holiday: Hot Chocolate Cone Gift

Hip2Save This Holiday Guest Post Submitted By Reader Brandi…

I love to give gifts but it gets expensive when you have so many people you want to give to. This is an inexpensive gift idea you can give to lots of friends! A way to show you care without breaking the bank :-) Hot chocolate ice cream cones. Who doesn’t love hot chocolate especially with marshmallows and sprinkles!

Recipe:
1/2 cup hot chocolate (you can find this in tubs opposed to the little packets)
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup sprinkles, m&ms, or any other small festive candy
1/4 cup marshmallows
Icing piping bags
Small clear hair ties
Ribbon

First you take one icing bag and fill it with your hot chocolate mix. Then use a hair tie to seal the hot chocolate. Put the whole hot chocolate filled bag inside another icing bag. (You do this so the hot chocolate doesn’t mix with other ingredients.) Then you should have what looks like a cone and now you need the toppings! Add the chocolate chips into bag, then the sprinkles or candy, and last the marshmallows. Secure with a hair tie. Add a cute ribbon to finish it off. What I love about this is that you really could do this for any season just use seasonal colored sprinkles or candy. Enjoy!!

• Jennifer C says:

That is such a cute idea. I love it! Plus you can even get cute holiday mugs at the Dollar Tree to put this in. Thanks for sharing, Brandi! :)

• April says:

I did this a couple years back. Everyone loved them. I made my own cocoa mix which made it even cheaper

• Kristen says:

Omg..know this is kinda off topic but have y’all made homemade hot chocolate with hot cocoa and milk on the stove? It is sooooo goood ☕

• Jenn P says:

I got one of these as a gift and loved it. The lady who made them used ghiradhelli dark chips, marshmallows, cocao mix and included a peppermint spoon. So yummy and a gift well used!! I will be making them and putting them inside the holiday cups that Collin posted about from Staples last week.

• Lisa says:

We have been making these for YEARS – we leave off the sprinkles and add a red gum drop to the top for a cherry – add a mug and chocolate covered pretzel rod’s and you have a great teacher gift !!!

• Sherrie says:

what is a clear hair tie – I don’t have girls so I am out of the loop on that one!

• Ashley57 says:

You could probably just get small rubber bands at an office supply store. I believe she is talking about the really tiny ones people use to make cornrows in their hair.

• jules says:

Goody makes small clear bands that sometimes are in the target #1 area!

• MommySpendsLess says:

They make hair ties that are like very small (think dime sized) rubber bands. Unlike stanard office supply rubber bands, they come in a variety of pretty colors, including clear. You can find them at Walmart, Target, Walgreens, etc. – they’re usually with the colorful barettes and stuff for little girls because they work great for that super fine silky hair toddlers have – look in the hair care section (with the brushes) or sometimes Walmart has a stand in the children’s clothing department that has a variety of accessories (hair ties, jewelry, kids purses, etc.) Another advantage is that they’re pretty cheap – usually $2-$3 for 100+

• Kristin says:

Plastic tiny rubber bands

• Kellyfornia says:

Where can I find cheap icing bag??? I wanted to make something similar to this a while back but thought the icing bags were way too expensive. I probably wasn’t looking in the right place or at the right ones.

• Brandi says:

Walmart usually has them for a good deal or you could get them from Michael’s and use a 50 percent off coupon and that would help :-) Just make sure you check the bags because Wilton is starting to print their emblem on theirs :( I got mine at a grocery store bakery they just charged me 1.19 so worth asking :-)

• Jeanette says:

Here is my hot chocolate recipe:

2 cans Nestlé hot chocolate mix (red/brown cans that say makes 39 servings)
    1 pound powdered sugar
    1 pound powdered coffee mate
    1 box carnation powdered milk (says makes 8 quarts)

In a big (and I mean BIG) pot or bowl, mix all ingredients together until its a uniform color. Use 1/3 cup of hot chocolate mix per 8 ounces of hot water or milk (I personally use milk.)

I bring this to work every Christmas Eve and the girls line up for it!! Much better than store bought packets and this makes enough for the entire winter.