Happy Friday: Only Child Expiring Soon

Sent from reader, Andrea:

To share our second pregnancy news with our family, we took a picture of our daughter with a sign that read: Only Child Expiration July 2013.

Since we learned of our expecting just before the holidays, I took advantage of one of the many card freebies shared on Hip2save to make these announcements. I created the card using the picture of the big-sister-to-be and inserted the following caption:

Guess what?
I’m going to be a BIG sister.
Mommy is due with Baby #2!

They were a huge hit with our family and friends! Thanks for posting the many free and discounted card opportunities. We really loved sharing these special (and completely free!) announcements with our family and friends! Thanks for all you do!

HAPPY FRIDAY! :D

Do you have a funny, “Hip”, or unique photo to share?! Email us at happyfriday@hip2save(dot)com. Every Friday, I will post one photo, submitted by you and/or another Hip2Save reader, that gives us a glimpse into your frugal lifestyle or simply makes us smile. If your photo is published on Hip2Save, we’ll email you a $10 Amazon e-card!

** Check out all of the previous Happy Friday pictures here.

• JJ says:

TOO cute!!

• Kathy says:

Very cute and creative. I could never wait to tell people until the cards were delivered. I always want to tell everyone right away. The longest we were able to hold the news was 2 days.

• Jennifer E. says:

Im also expecting baby #2! Im trying to find cheap/creative ways to tell family the gender of the baby rather than just calling them.. (We are a military family so our family isn’t close…)

• Rainy says:

You could get yellow balloons & confetti that reads ‘boy’ or ‘girl’ & put a few in each yellow ballon. They will have to blow up the balloon to be able to see through it to see the confetti revealing the gender. Just an idea :)

• Melissa says:

Rainy-great idea! When I have my next child I will do this!

• Rainy says:

I keep saying I’m going to do these exciting gender reveals & I now have 2 kids & still haven’t done it. I can’t contain my excitement for more than a couple days! I WILL do it with number 3! LOL!

• kayla says:

Someone I know took a box and a blue or pink balloon whichever you are having [the balloon is filled with helium] and put the balloon in the box and let their family open the box and let the balloon fly out of the box

• Diana says:

I just had baby #3 and we’re military too with our entire family on the opposite coast from us. We never wait to tell them we’re expecting but for this last time I wanted to do something fun for gender reveal. We chose to do a “reveal cake”. We had a cake made with the icing color of the gender (blue for us this time) in between the layers and the outside was covered in chocolate icing with blue and pink question marks all over it. We use Facetime on our iPads with our family all the time (Skype would work too) and the original plan was to have a cake here and us cut into it while we were on “live” with our families, but my hubby ended up having to go out west like 2 weeks after we had our gender ultrasound so we kept our secret til then and we had the cake done there and while I was at home on the video chat with them, he cut into the cake with them and revealed the blue. So we got to do it 1/2way in person but it was still fun and it could totally be done with you having the cake and them just watching! OR, you could have a cake done by a bakery for them and you watch them cut into it on a video chat. Our family totally loved it. I’ve seen people do it wih little cake pops too (just sye the batter and do a dark icing to cover) instead of a big cake. Whatever you do, have fun with it!!! And congrats :)

• Barb says:

that’s cute.

• Rebe says:

So cute, congratulations! :)

• Ashley57 says:

Cute!! :)

• Theresa says:

We made our oldest daughter a shirt saying “Future Big Sister” on the front and “May 2012″ on the back. Took my mother in law over an hour to read the shirt and realize what it meant!

• ashli says:

I did something similar to tell my Hubby that we were expecting again… Except I guess it was obvious enough lol. I wrote Remember 11/19/10 We will soon be blessed again!

• Jamie says:

My son was born 11-18-10. Lots of cute ideas. I gave out pink or blue balloons and said pick a color. My mom gave me the same balloon back filled with helium and flowers after the baby came.

• Jessika <3 says:

Awwww Jaime aren’t mothers the sweetest, most thoughtful! This made me tear up. I hope I can be half the mom my mother is.

• Erin says:

Very sweet! Congratulations! We are expecting our third in June and still haven’t made a public announcement (although, most family and good friends know). Any easy, fun Facebook ideas???

• Becky says:

I changed my profile pic to a bun in the oven when I announced it on FB. It went over really well. Just look through google images at all the options out there :)

• Erin says:

I saw a friend post such a picture for her announcement. I figured she had actually taken the photo herself and wasn’t sure I wanted to bother buying buns (and cleaning my oven). Good to know you can find the pictures on Google images. Any ideas on the legality of borrowing such photos?

• Sarah says:

To announce that we were pregnant for our third, we were doing our oldest son’s 3rd b-day pics at Jc-Penney’s and I put his “Big Brother” shirt on our younger son and then wrote “Coming May 2013″ on a chalkboard they had there. The expression that was captured on his face while he held the chalkboard was PERFECT!!! To announce the baby’s gender, I have a wonderful sweet neighbor who has an embroidery machine. I asked her to make shirts for my older 2 boys that said “Big Brother 1″ and “Big Brother 2″, and then a onesie with a applique “3”. (She did the shirts for free.) Once we knew what the baby was, I took a picture of the boys sitting on the couch in number order next to a chalkboard. I had the #3 shirt hanging on a hanger off of the chalkboard with a crochet headband and pink flower to announce that it’s a GIRL!! (If it had been a boy I would have put a bow tie instead of the headband) :)

• Melissa says:

I saw a facebook baby announcement where the man and woman were standing in front of road sighn that read “bump ahead” and she was standing sideways with her little tiny belly stuck out! It was sooo cute!!!

• Jamie says:

Congratulations to all who are expecting. May u all be blessed with healthy babies and happy pregnancies. Good luck and best wishes. I have been blessed with three beautiful babies who are now 14, 10 and 2 (2 daughters and my youngest is my son). Toddler and Teenager, whew I will survive. LOL

• Karin says:

Aww, so cute!! Congratulations Andrea! :)

• Laura says:

So cute! I just had my first baby two weeks ago!

• kay harris says:

Erin congrats! I’m also due in June…our other child AJ is a few months shy of 18 months. We just anounced on facebook by having her wear a shirt that said ONLY CHILD w/ what looked like a stamper had stamped across the ONLY CHILD part and said expiring summer 2013!! :) I had my cousin make the shirt but something could easily be made from home to be look like that! Good luck, we are due the 17th and you?!

• Pinky says:

Cute idea. I am expecting again after two mc’s this is my 4th pregnancy and hopefully my second baby. Would love to do something like this but will have to wait till I feel more secure. I’ve never been able to have the fun reveal because of all of our risky pregnancies. Would love to just relax about it. Anyway Andrea your picture made me smile.

• Dawn says:

Good luck with your pregnancy, I hope you have a healthy baby! I had two miscarriages before I had my son so I know how hard it is! I will say a prayer for a healthy pregnancy for you!

• Erin says:

Our first pregnancy was a miscarriage so we don’t announce until after the first trimester. I am at 15 weeks and still haven’t announced. Blessings on this pregnancy! I truly understand the anxiety and pain of a loss and hope you will soon rejoice in a healthy baby.:)

• marlene says:

I too suffered a miscarriage after my first son its so sad and its awful when youve already told everyone but for my last son we kept it secret til 4 months and i will be doing that for now on but i really like all the ideas here good luck with this pregnancy take it day by day

• fran says:

Congratulations to Andrea and all the other expectant and new mommies.
    And, Abigail is a beautiful little girl ;)

• Deb says:

My husband and I didn’t tell anyone we were expecting our first child until after the first trimester. His father’s birthday was just about at that time, so we sent him a “Happy Birthday, Grandpa” card. It took him two whole days to figure it out! (While we waited and waited and waited…)

• es says:

I am expecting after so many yrs trying finally..any ideas to break news to family and inlaws?

• Jamie says:

es,
      I always thought a cute idea would be to have a tshirt made that said WOMB FOR RENT and then NO VACANCY till (insert due date). Came up with the idea myself one time but never did it. Got so excited when I found out I was pregnant that I just could not wait to tell everyone. Good luck

• Dealgirl says:

Yay congrats! An idea I always thought was cute is to put a bun in the oven (literally). And then ask them to go check the oven for you… Or just take a pic of your hubby opening the oven!

• Dealgirl says:

I should add that if you did it that way, you just put a toothpick in the bun with a little paper attached that reads “We’re pregnant!” or something similar.

• Maria says:

Really cute! Congratulations.

• Cee says:

Love it!

• aleshia says:

I’m going to have our third baby on February 1st, but I will be having the first grand daughter out of 5 grandsons. I went to hobby lobby found a small plain brown box and filled it with girly things. I attached a poem that read, “what are little girls made of what are little girls made of? Sugar and spice and everything nice, that’s what little girls are made of. I found some tiny bottles and filled one with sugar and filled another with all spice and labeled them in pink. For the everything nice I added lace to the bottom and put in butterflies, jewels, flowers, and chocolate, I added in my spice jars and poem. I wrapped it up in grey paper and a big red bow. I gave it to my dad and I never saw him smile so big in my life.

• Jessika <3 says:

I can’t have anymore, through my tears and pain: CONGRATS to all the moms to be! I wish you a wonderful happy pregnancy. Very cute cards =) I’m rooting for July 16th, that’s the day God gave me my only angel =)

• Em says:

I’m pregnant with baby #4, dreading telling everyone “don’t you know what causes that.” Yes, yes I do, you all know good and darn well we planned for 4 kids. Fully plan on a tubal after this one, haha. Enjoy your second pregnancy, it’s so much more relaxed than the first, you finally know what to expect, haha.

• Erin says:

Don’t worry about the naysayers. Children are a blessing and it is only in modern times that people think more than three is too many! One of my closest friends was the youngest of 9 and her mother was ridiculed by strangers, family, and “friends.” Yet, all of their children have grown into mature adults, excellent citizens, and loving parents. And remember, siblings are a gift that you will leave with your children well after you are gone!

• Amy C. says:

HAHA! Em, look at them with BIG eyes and say something like “Gosh, NO! What does cause it!?!” hahaha ;) Congratulations on your fourth!!!!

• Em says:

For people I know I say “I actually missed that day in medical school, haha.” For strangers I usually say “well, those tax benefits are great, haha” but on days I’m particularly irritated I think I might use your line, love it!

My sister is childless by choice (she is adopted, she carries the sickle cell gene, but she never wanted children anyway so chooses not to adopt) and my husband’s brother is gay, and not planning on adopting. Having 4 kids will give my grandchildren loads of fun cousins like I had (in theory).

• darlene says:

Children are such blessings you need to celebrate the moments with special things like this. God bless all the soon to be moms.