The Oh So Important /or/ Sound (+ My Lack Of Sleep… Late to Bed, Early to Rise)

One of my most favorite things to do at Family Dinners is to go around the table and share “highs” and “lows” from the day. It is always fun to hear about what my kiddos consider to be highs (getting a lollipop after a doctor’s visit) and lows (being picked last for Kick Ball in PE). It also generates some great discussions and has really made us a much more close-knit family. So… I thought that it might be fun to start sharing my own personal highs and lows with all of you daily (Monday-Friday) on Hip2Save.com. And, I will encourage you to do the same in the comment section. So, here goes…

My 11-year-old son has been in speech therapy for quite a few years now. He had lots of ear infections as a baby and toddler which I think led to his difficulty with speech since he wasn’t hearing things properly. He has come a long way since then and speaks very well now. His one struggle has remained with the /or/ sound (it’s a hard one!)… BUT yesterday, he had a HUGE breakthrough with his Speech Teacher:

Screen Shot 2013-04-03 at 3.07.49 PM

This was definitely my high! And well, to be completely honest, when I read the email from his teacher I got that thingy in my throat… you know, that thingy that happens when those tears wanna start flowing. I am just so incredibly proud of my little boy who really isn’t little anymore.  And the fact that he made someone else’s day, makes my day! :)

My low… well, definitely the fact that I have not been disciplined enough to get to bed on the early side. I have been going to bed way too late and still getting up early. I am feeling it today and need to work on being more strict with bedtime just like I am with the kiddos. Any ideas to help me get to bed earlier?!

Every week day, I share my high(s) and low(s) for the day and I encourage you to do the same in the comment section below. My high(s) will simply be the best or most exciting thing that happened to me today and my low(s) will be something not so great that took place.

• My high of the day…gave an older woman a high value coupon in publix for an expensive pack of razors. I was standing next to her and she was telling me how expensive razors are and its ridiculous how everything just keeps going up in price and how she can barely afford to come to the grocery store anymore. Being a mom of a three year old I agreed with her and told her thats why I coupon because if i didnt i wouldnt be able to afford every day things. I saw that she put the razors in her cart so I quickly looked through my coupon binder and found her a coupon that I wasnt going to use and she could have it. It was for $4 off so she would only have to pay .99cents for them. She was so thankful and happy and said i made her day. Even hugged me! Little things like that makes me happy inside :) Glad i was able to help her out.

My low- Being told once again i didnt get a job and worrying how im going to pay my car payment this month. I recently got laid off a few months ago and cant seem to find work anywhere so funds are very tight for my family and I. I have faith though and know god will lead me in the right direction…

• nalabay17 says:

I’m sorry to read you were laid off. I’ve been there (single mom of 2 little ones, on top of it) and it’s just the worst feeling. I hope things look up for you soon.

• C says:

Wow, that was very nice of you. Im sorry you got laid off. I really hope you are able to find work soon.

We are a one income household ourselves. My husband works very hard 7 days a week and I stay home with two little ones. I actively coupon and am always trying to find ways to earn extra money. Its hard but we are doing ok. I’m so grateful that I get to be with my babies every day.

• Chris says:

Tell him congratulations from me. I had almost the exact same issue as a kid and had multiple years of speech therapy. I also developed a stutter at some point and had to overcome that as well. I was able to overcome both and now speak just fine. He’ll get there.

• em says:

I’m so happy for you! My daughter has just started in Speech, and she is being treated for a severe stutter. It is so hard to watch your child struggle so I can only imagine the joy you feel right now! Congrats!!!

• M- says:

After reading what you wrote about your son Nick, I like you, also got that ” thingy in my throat… you know, that thingy that happens when those tears wanna start flowing. ” Why? Well.. it sort of brought back memories. A lot of memories. That would be because I went through exactly what he did from that young early age. The good news is that I have become, probably among other things, an incredible listener as a result of what I went through (perhaps putting so much effort / focus in to being able to hear). Truly amazing how the heavy things in life shape us the most. According to professionals, they shape us even more than the positive things.

• Tonya says:

My high: getting tickets to a concert i am SO looking forward to!
    My low (also a high): my first trip back to the neurologist in a few years is in 10 hours.. I havent been treating my partial seizures and I know that although we couldnt get them under control with medicine in the past it is time to face the music and keep trying. So although its the most nervous and anxious ive been in a long time its the right thing to do. And Im lucky enough to have a husband who has been trying to distract me all day and will be right by my side tomorrow.

Life isnt so bad. In fact, its really good :)

• melody says:

my high today was my mom saying she was going to come over tonight to see me because she flies out to Arizona on Saturday and we don’t know when she will be back to visit since she is moving there.
    my low is my mom telling me at 830 pm she wont be coming over tonight so us getting up early and going to the museum wont be happening.

• Renee says:

My 5 yr-old twin boys are autistic and are just now starting to say a few words. Every new word they say gives me that “thingy in my throat”. It’s one day at a time.

• karen says:

My low is my 14 year old daughter has alway been on the heavier side than my boys who are on the thin side. My pediatrician always brings it up during visits, and it’s always been a real struggle for her, even more so now that she’s been in middle school, where kids can be very mean, and doesn’t like to eat at school during lunch. We eat healthy foods, not crap, and she is very active. she also is only 5 ‘ compared to my 6′ boys. Anyway, my high is we are working together and going out for walks everyday together and working on a new shopping list for the grocery store, and you know 14 year old girls, usually don’t want to be seen with there mom, so I feel lucky she wants to hang out :)

• Angela says:

Tell her to keep her head up and be positive about herself. My sister is on the heavy side than I am and I wish I could have her beauty. She is what I feel beauty should be because she isn’t paper thin and doesn’t refuse to eat to stay that way. She will grow into a beauty person and I wish her luck with trying to lose weight.

• katie says:

My high- I was approved today for my spinal cord stimulator!!! I go for the trial in 2 weeks and it should relieve 50% of my back pain!

My low- watching my dear husband physically and mentally worn out from working 2 full time jobs so I can have health insurance (lost my job after spinal fusion and tailbone removal because I couldn’t return to work in 90 days with no restrictions- I worked there over 5 years in the healthcare field) and knowing i can’t do more to help.

• Suzanne H says:

You’ve got a good man there. I hope everything works out with the spinal cord stimulator and you both can get some rest!

• Mary K says:

Katie, good luck on your stim. trial. I have been struggling with back pain after my fusion in 2003. I hopefully be having a trial in May. I will keep you on my thoughts and prayers. People who do not have chronic pain have trouble relating to your struggles, pain is so personal and abstract. I’m sorry for you pain but happy that I know that there is somebody out there going through the same things. So my High for the day is finding Katie to relate to and my Low is that people like Katie and my self have to go through something like this to live a somewhat normal life.

• Suzanne H says:

Low – my 4 yo son telling me I’m a little bit crazy (LOL); High – my 4 yo son telling me I’m a lot sweet! Then he hugged me tight and told me he loved me which is always my highest of highs!!!

• Gina says:

Collin, so proud of your son. I don’t even know him and it almost brought me to tears. Congrats on his accomplishments!

• Emily says:

My high yesterday was that I helped someone get a dr. apt. I work for a hospital, in the marketing dept and I get all the general contact us e-mails. (believe me, hospitals take those seriously) Someone wrote in asking for a physician referral for a certain type of doctor. I forwarded his request to the manager of that dept and they were able to make room for him to be seen that afternoon, when it was convenient for the new patient. He was even going to be seen by the doctor, not the practitioner. He was stunned when they called to make the appointment with him and he wrote back in to say thank you!

I try not to dwell about the lows of the day. My boyfriend and I talk about our favorite thing that happened each day at dinner and that was certainly my favorite thing yesterday.

• Heather says:

Thank you Collin for posting this! My 3 year old is in PreK at the elementary school in our town and started speech 3 months ago. Its hard to see other children ask why Austin talks funny. Thanks again for posting to remind me that my husband and I are not the only parents dealing with a speech disorder.

High: Our district has on elementary school and they have been building a new one for a year and it is finally open. Today was the first day the students came back from spring break and attended the new school. It was great to hear my kids had an awesome day.

Low: My Hubby being sick with a sinus infection, I hate seeing him go to work feeling so crummy.

• Mary C says:

My low today is that my has depression and it has be untreatable for over 15 years and today is one of his very ad days!!! I so dislike what this monster has done to him and me and the kiddos. But my high today is that my daughter got engaged to a very sweet Navy man. He is such a gentleman. I wish them the best of luck in their further together. I get to plan a wedding!!

• jennifer says:

High: I’m Blessed in too many ways to name. My kids are happy and well right now as it has not always been that way for me. My 4 year old had brain surgery and almost lost her life when she was a baby. But she is normal and doing great now so I am very humble and greatful for most all things. Low: I don’t have any yet, maybe I can skip a low for this day.
    Congratulations on your sons’ accomplishments, Coliin. As for trying to get to bed earlier, I struggle with that myself. My husbands advice… sleep when you are dead, lol!!

• Emilytwinmom says:

About two years ago I started laying down in bed when my then 3yr old twins went to bed. I either watch a little tv or read a book to wind down, and pass right out! Now, my body wants to go to sleep by 9 and if I try to stay up late I’m a zombie LOL! Maybe just have a set time as a goal to be in bed by, and try to stick to it? I’m sure it’ll get easier as your body adjusts :)

• Tina says:

Your story brought tears to my eyes….what a proud mommy moment!

My high moment — two of my best friends for 32 years came to my office and had lunch with me….always a high when it’s “girl time” :)

My low moment — coming home to a disastrous house…UGH! Having 2 teenagers and a 4 year old, you would think that one of them would be able to pick up……I think it’s gotten worse the older they get! ha :)

• Sandy says:

My son turns 17 today!!!!! So proud of the man he is becoming:)

• We do this in our Sunday school class sometimes. Instead of Highs and lows we call them sweets and sours :)

• Erin D. says:

High – 1) Working w/ the ladies’ ministry at my church. 2) having a newcomer come back after attending church at another church known for being a cult 3) having the newcomer reveal with tears she can’t get a job because she has tried unsuccessfully to pass the high school exit exam 6 times (6 years now!) and have another woman (an out of work teacher) offer to help tutor her! 4) Teaching couponing workshop for ladies’ ministry and changing lives and helping others find hope in a hopeless situation. Thanks Collin! You are AWESOME!

Low – I don’t let them bother me anymore. Faith is knowing better things are coming.(Hubby has been out of work 2 years…its been rough…but we find happiness in living simply.) Thanks to all the Hip2Savers for your deals!!