Laughing With My Son & Pesky Critters…

My high for today would definitely have to be the laughs I shared with my oldest son in the waiting room of our dentist’s office. While we waited patiently, my son and I practiced the art of holding a pencil with our upper lips. My hubby acted like he didn’t know us which made my high for today even better! Gotta love occasionally embarrassing your significant other! ;)

My low for today is the oh so annoying Elm Seed Bug. Yep, these teeny, tiny, super pesky critters invaded my home at the end of last summer. Once the cold weather hit, they finally disappeared BUT I am so sad to say that they seem to be back today. When I was outside sweeping my deck, I looked down and noticed a few of these bugs on the deck and siding of my home. And so the battle of Collin versus the Elm Seed Bugs begins – wish me luck!

Every Monday-Thursday, I share my high(s) and low(s) for the day and I encourage you to do the same in the comment section below. My high(s) will simply be the best or most exciting thing that happened to me today and my low(s) will be something not so great that took place.

• Maggie says:

I am a certified pest operator in the bug capital of the world, Florida. And I feel like a entomologist, I’ve done many Boxelder Bug jobs, they are tough to eradicate, if I lived in your area, I would do it for FREE! and everybody who has Ant issues, baits work best, that way you get the entire colony in the nest, not just the ones foraging for food. And I tell all my customers to use your site to save mega bucks!

• Kim says:

What is the best way to get rid of carpenter ants. We thought we were rid of them last year. Tried Ortho seemed to help some. The Ohio weather has finally warmed up and we have seen a couple in our family room again. We found out the hard way they love meat and chocolate. My daughter left a piece of cake on the counter. I had never seen so many ants. Amazing freaked my daughter out LOL! Any suggestions I know we may have to call an exterminator it’s just so expensive. Thanks for any help.

• Amanda M says:

Decided to join in and comment, My high for today was being home with girls, I hate school days although I know in the end it will be worth it! My low was my oldest (6yrs) is in baton twirling, she is not the most motivated and after many fits we decided to let her skip her competition last Sunday, well today we found out her group won first place, I have never seen my baby so sad that she missed out! I wish parenting came with a manual for things like this, it just breaks my heart :(

• Tilla Ham says:

our go to rule is that at the end of a season, year, or however long that particular thing is meant to last, you may quit. However, during the time you commit yourself to, you will give it your all…especially when there is a team counting on you and your participation. So every August when it’s time to register for Dance and acrobatics classes we sit down and have a discussion about what classes they want to take and an understanding that if they want to quit, they do it then, or not again until the following June. I also did this with my sons soccer, tennis, and other sports. When he was 6 he tried basketball, hated it with a passion, but stuck out the season and learned a bit about not letting yourself and others down.

• Larkin says:

I have a 16 & a 12 year old. We have always done the same as Tilla and Selina. Once you committ to an activity you are committed to that season. We have done boy/girl scouts, football, basketball, karate, baseball,softball, cheerleading,dance, marching band and piano lessons. I think it’s especially important to keep your commitments to a team sport. I know you hurt when your child hurts but even at a young age it can help teach valuable lessons.

• Jennifer says:

Collin, I love that your hubby was acting like he doesn’t know you. LMAO! That’s something mine would do, too. Fun times! :)

• Jeanette R says:

I feel your pain. Those bugs sneak into our house (Rochester, NY) all year long.

• Joy says:

Wait to the cicada invade East Coast this spring. Yikes!

• Rachel says:

My high of the day is my son referring to his sister big toe as a toe thumb…. I laughed so hard

• Justme says:

High: My husband has a three day weekend yay!
    Low: The argument on how he needs to spend the weekend with me and not with his 18 year old baby. Ugh!

High: Skipping tiwn ith or without him :D

• td says:

oh my god…i would just Die if those bugs invaded my house! i am so scared of creepy crawly insects! i recently moved and was So happy to leave behind book mites and silverfish – it was a really old apt complex (everyone had to move last month so they could tear down and re-build) next to water so everything was damp due to lack of proper insulation or whatever. the book mites got into our food and lived in the window sills and walls throughout the complex. i hated them because they are So tiny that you know if you see one there have got to be a zillion more. i loved that apartment, but i do not miss the bugs!

• Michelle says:

My high: Being grateful for living in Tucson, AZ where is will be 110 this summer because I do not have disgusting bugs you all are talking about in or around my house =)

My low: having a headache and being grumpy with my kids – I have post-bed time mommy guilt.

• Tilla Ham says:

3 summers ago was the first time i saw one of those bugs Collin is talking about in Western wa, and now they are here every summer. they seem harmless, don’t smell, ooze, bite or eat antyhing..so they do not bother me. i do wonder where they came from though

• Kim says:

We have a bug problem in one section of one of our buildings at work. The guys in that section have solved the problem with this: http://bugasalt.com/
    They are having a lot of fun but I think if HR knew about this they would be very unhappy LOL
    Seems safe as long as you don’t shoot somebody in the eye.

Lowlight – getting called at 3AM to fix a computer problem at work
    Highlight – getting called from my CPA saying I am getting a big tax refund this year .. Yayyyy!

• linda says:

My high – The lifelong memories that were created for my 1,3 and 5 year old at Hollywood and Vine’s character lunch at Universal Studios.

My low – Leaving the park on a down note when the Fantasmic show we had been waiting to see was cancelled at the very last possible moment due to weather.

Side note – the Tide samples will come in great handy to clean the chocolate ice cream covered clothes. The $8 purse from Amazon that you posted about in Feb was perfect to take to the park. We made the best of our low by watching Fantasmic on youtube at our hotel with the $ store glow sticks. The suggestions on the Disney saving post were so beneficial and helped me justify the pricey character lunch. I so appreciate all you do to help us save $$$.

Those bugs are icky.

• MCouzens says:

I hate those Elm Seed Bugs. We have them here in Michigan and they seem to be everywhere, harmless but annoying.

• karen says:

It’s been really LOW here, after our home got broken into last Thursday, and speculating it could be an acquatance of our teenagers, we have no proof to act. We just put our house up for sale April 1st. This incident has caused alot of tension between my husband and I, and we haven’t been getting along very well since the incident happened. My high would be at least the window company installed the new window they broke to get into my home,so I feel better about that :(

• Starla says:

My low today was the “high” pollen count, sneezing, itchy watery eyes, but my high came when the rain came and washed a lot of it away and off the trees and cars!

Collin, we too have been invaded by those pesky critters, two years in a row now, they look like macaroni noodles glued to my house! They somehow get inside too, and they crawl slowly up the walls of across the carpet, so they are easy to catch, but oh what a pain!!!

• julie says:

Collin try funding termite in your house…lol..

• niki says:

So that is what these things are called! Elm Seed Bugs. Never in my life have I seen these bugs but for some reason last year they appeared out of nowhere. As the weather has warmed, they are back like a plague of Egypt!

• JAMIE says:

here in Alabama we have the box elder bugs. they are a pain. i use soapy water to get rid of them until next year.

• Krissy says:

We just call them box elder bugs. They look the same anyway. They never left this winter (Illinois). They just got slower. Icky.

• Angel says:

Collin, those are Box Elder bugs according to google. We also have had a problem with them in Kansas City.

• Libby says:

We have those bugs here in Ky. My kids have always called them “tickle bugs” because they could hold them (they don’t bite or sting).

• maflies1 says:

My younger sister, when she was about 4y.o., would sit at the front door and when they crossed the threshold, she was ready. Child scissors in hand, she loved to cut them in two. LOL Rather perverted, I know! Only person I know who mutilated them. Always kind of felt sorry for them, even though I really disliked them.

• Kristin K says:

My mother, husband, and daughter call those bugs stink bugs…..we have them here in NY too and they have already come out – I am not sure if they ever really left as I do find them inside my house sometimes (my house was built in 1902 so there are many little cracks that we can’t find but creepy crawlers can)

• BonnieP says:

spray ‘em with a mixture of liquid fabric softner and water in a spray bottle to eliminate them

• Jenna says:

My parents live in a super old farm house. We always had bugs in the house seasonally. Box elders (your elm seed), crickets, and lady bugs (now Asian beetles). I never minded the box elders because they didn’t smell, make noise, or jump. Was back at my parents for a couple days this week and apparently I’ve gotten really soft (I live in the city now…). A box elder landed on my face and it freaked me out–of course, my mom thought it was hilarious. In my defense it was between my glasses and my face, almost in my eye. :-)