A Dreaded Cold Sore and Outside Fun…

So… my low today (and for the past few days) has been all the devastation that has taken place in Oklahoma as a result of the tornadoes and storms. My heart just aches for everyone that was affected. If you would like to help the victims in Oklahoma, please check out these posts here, here, and here.

My own personal low (which seems irrelevant compared to all the suffering taking place in Oklahoma) has been the dreaded cold sore. This oh so lovely addition to my face appeared yesterday and is absolutely driving me nuts (and thanks to many of you for leaving tips on this old video post regarding how to get rid of a cold sore – I have been using many of the tips which have definitely helped to fight it off before the cold sore completely takes over my lip!). Also, I went to the doctor today regarding this issue and he prescribed me with Denavir. I am not familiar with this medicine… so if you’ve tried it out or know someone who has, please let me know if it actually works. Thanks!

I tend to get Cold Sores when I am stressed out and lacking sleep – likely a result of all the chaos surrounding our recent move.

My high has just been the fact that we are finally unpacked (except for a few boxes), the kids are adjusting well to their new rooms, and we have been absolutely loving all of our outside space. Plus, the Boise weather has been perfect (not too hot and not too cold) so the kids have spent almost all of their free time outdoors.

Every Wednesday, I share my high(s) and low(s) for the past week and I encourage you to do the same in the comment section below. My high(s) will simply be the best or most exciting thing that happened to me over the last week or so and my low(s) will be something not so great that took place.

• Heather says:

I don’t suffer from cold sores but my husband does and he swears by this thing. It’s expensive but he seems to think its worth it :) Hasn’t had a cold sore in the year he has owned it! http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0099V9Y8A/ref=pd_aw_sim_hpc_8?pi=SL500_SY115

• julie says:

Since a kid, I’d always get cold sores. In college, I thought that it was stress that caused them. I was one of those that would get cold sores a couple times a year. It was embarrasing! I’ve been paleo for 2 years and have not have not one single cold sore. Now I know that the cold sores were mainly a food issue.

• carly gillock says:

I feel your pain with cold sores, I get them all the time and sometimes they will consume my whole lip. Glad to hear that you are finding things that will work for you, i haven’t found much that will work for me but to just let it take it’s course. Good luck with you

• Rose says:

I have prescription for acyclovor. I take when first feel the itch if a cold sore comming on and within aday it’s gone. They no longer result in a blister. I swear by this stuff.

• Lisa says:

I was getting cold sores frequently and i started oil pulling. I use organic coconut oil. I have not had a cold sore in the 6 months since i started oil pulling and i would get them at least every 3 to 6 weeks. Oil pulling has its own facebook page and it will explain the technique. Good luck and feel better. Oh and i did use denavir but did not like all the nasty possible side effects, when i started the oil pulling i figured what have i got to loose, its natural and can’t hurt. I am so glad i gave it a shot!

• Anahi says:

I found it on ebay for 65.61 + 6.00 shipping :)

• Jessica says:

Someone may have posted this already, but have you tried taking lysine? It’s in the vitamin aisle (an amino acid). My friend told me about it when she had a cold sore. If you feel a cold sore coming on, take two that day, two at night, two the next day. She says it knocks out cold sores just like that! She has been using lysine for years after someone else recommended it to her! It’s only a few bucks at Walmart.

• Jill says:

I also take the L-Lysine tablets (1 a day) and have not had one in 2 years. I averaged 3-4 cold sores a year before and they are angry and awful! I feel your pain!

• Jennifer says:

I’ve used denavir for a long time (in addition to acyclovir), and it really works well as long as you start it early and apply it often enough.

• Erika says:

When I feel it coming I put ice on it only one cube until it melts, then I repeat it everytime I remember during the day. Also I ‘ve been using vitamin c crystals for a year now and I haven’t had an outbreak since.

• Priscilla says:

I use a cream called abreva which helps prevent cold sores from appearing as long as you apply it as soon as you feel a pain coming from your lips. It can be found at any drugstore. I have also heard lysine is very helpful to prevent cold sores if taken every day.

• Rachel says:

Besides lysine and Valacyclovir as soon as I feel the burning/tingle I start Cold-EEZE zinc lozenges per the usage recommendation on the box. Some holistic doctors believe zinc to be one of the critical factors in treating cold sores.

• Ali says:

I just use an ice cube at first tingle. Works like a charm. The only time in the past decade that a cold sore was able to show up was when I was struck down by a severe virus. Do you do yoga? Sleep enough? These things really change our immune system…

• Meirav says:

I highly recommend Compeed Cold Sore Patches. This is a European product and you can get it on amazon. These are clear patches that you place on your cold sore. It numbs the pain and heals the cold sore, while protecting your lips. No more messy creams!

• Kelly says:

I LOVE denavir!!! I have battled them since highschool! Now that I am older, I dont’ get them as much, but denavir was the ONLY medicine that would clear it up in a few days! Def give it a try!!

• Melissa says:

Just call your dentist and get a scrip for Valtrex. 2 pills at onset, 2 pills 12 hours later. Works like a charm!

• Joy says:

I’ve battled cold sores most of my life. Denavir works and I used it for years until I tried Valtrex. It is a miracle pill. Taken as directed at the onset and 4 pills later the cold sore is history.

• becca says:

my husband and I use denavir!! it is awesome!! you should get it Collin!

• Luz says:

I’m in a low. I’m a teacher currently in a maternity leave. I’m planning to go back to work next year but nit to my current school assignment. I have been in 8 interviews at different school-districts. No one have c call me. Yesterday my principal call me asking if I’m planning to go back because she know I’m looking in other schools. So, I’m sure she has been giving bad references. I’m really sad. She cause me a depression when I was pregnant and just by talking to her I’m feeling the anxiety. Any advice for me?

• tori says:

works wonders for summer time! I use acyclovir great product

• Deb says:

I , too, use Denavir and love it as long as you use it right away. Other things I’ve found over 40+ years…don’t use Chapstick…it can give you one. Use Carmex instead. Also, every time you go out in the sun, Carmex up. Am interested in the Valtrex people mentioned. Sounds even better than Denavir, if that’s possible!

• Tina W says:

I have not had a cold sore in years. A nurse I was working with suggested Lysine – she explained the amino acid bonds with the herpes virus in your body preventing it from becoming a cold sore. I’m just bummed Trader Joes stopped carrying it because it was super cheap there.

• Lisa says:

I get these nasty sores too….I am so excited about all the great tips. I usually use abreva, which does help, but now I am thinking that there might be even better options. Thanks everyone!

• Sandra says:

Valtrex is something my dentist told me about. Much less expensive too. I also buy Irwin Naturals Liquid-Gel Multi for women. Check out their website. Great prices. It has certain
    lots of good natural vitamins,minerals, etc your body needs. Also, Kanka softbrush gel
    helps along with the valtrex.