Doing the Gluten-Free Thing Yet Again (+ A New Gluten-Free Banana Muffin Recipe!)

I always seem to come back to a gluten-free way of eating…

As you may remember, I posted frequent recipes last year that were mainly Paleo-friendly and Gluten-Free. And to be honest, I got a little burnt out doing the posting of recipes as it’s a lot more work than I had envisioned when I first began doing it. Taking pictures, making sure the lighting is right (when you don’t know how to make sure the lighting is right!), baking (when you aren’t exactly sure what you are doing), writing like you know what you are talking about and the list goes on. So as most of you noticed, the recipe posting quickly went away. Oops!

I thought it only fair, though, to give you all an update on how I’m eating currently. Well, after the recipe posting stopped and the busyness of life got the best of me (it’s hard when you’ve got 3 kiddos in sports!)…  geez, I hate saying this, but healthy eating kinda fell by the wayside. The convenience of frozen pizzas and quick meals took over a bit too much… and little did I know what I was doing to my poor hubby’s health.

In February of this year, my husband got really sick. We thought it was just some sort of viral infection that was going around, but after 2 weeks of not feeling better and actually getting worse, I knew it was something more serious. My hubby couldn’t ingest any food without feeling immense pain in his esophagus. In fact, even drinking water was painful. I felt so helpless as I wasn’t sure what to do.

Finally, after going to the doctor for the third time, we were able to get a referral to an Endoscopy Center. To shorten this story and get to the point, the endoscopy showed that he had Eosinophilic esophagitis (yep – hard to pronounce!). The whole lining of his esophagus was completely inflamed … no wonder why it hurt so bad to eat and drink – poor thing. :(

Usually people who have this kind of esophagitis are allergic to one or more foods and both of us right away thought that wheat was definitely the culprit. He has also had other issues when eating gluten that definitely got me thinking that he may have a gluten intolerance.

So here I am, once again, doing the gluten-free thing and thoroughly enjoying how I feel. My hubby feels so much better too… and his energy is definitely up! I have also discussed my symptoms a bit here and they always seem to pretty much go away when I focus on eating all gluten-free foods. So with that being said, here’s a new gluten-free recipe for ya!

Now please note that this does not mean I will be posting recipes daily or even weekly, however, I am going to try to share the recipes I try out and love on a more regular basis. I will also continue to make a point to highlight any gluten-free coupons and online bargains I come across. I always get excited when these types of deals and coupons pop up and lately it has been often! :)

Gluten-Free Banana Muffins (Paleo Friendly too!)

* Recipe adapted from Elana’s Pantry

3 bananas mashed (the riper the better!)
3 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon honey
¼ cup Coconut oil
2 cups almond flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon

I’m all about keeping it simple when it comes to baking, so these directions are pretty much as easy as they get! After mashing the bananas, just throw the bananas through the coconut oil in a food processor or even blender (I throw it all in my Vitamix). Pulse and then throw in the almond flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon… and pulse again. I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup (not completely filled) to disperse the batter into my 12-count greased muffin pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or so. That’s it!

These muffins are so yummy… especially for being gluten-free! Each muffin has under 150 calories and around 9 grams of protein. You could also opt to throw chocolate chips in the mix or really anything you please to change it up a bit.

Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 11.39.20 AM Enjoy!

• anonymous says:

could i substitute baking powder somehow?

• anonymous says:

i mean, something else for the baking soda, like could i use baking powder?

• vmm says:

Use baking soda instead. Use 1/3 of the measurement the recipe calls for of the baking powder.

Baking powder and baking soda both are leavening agents, which means they help baked goods to rise. They are not the same chemical, but you can substitute one for another in recipes.

You can also make your own baking powder – You need baking soda and cream of tartar to make baking powder. Mix 2 parts cream of tartar with 1 part baking soda. For example, mix 2 tsp cream of tartar with 1 tsp baking soda.

Use the amount of baking powder called for by the recipe. No matter how much homemade baking powder you made, if the recipe calls for 1-1/2 tsp, add exactly 1-1/2 tsp of your mixture.

• Betsy says:

I’m glad to hear you and hubs are feeling better! If you don’t take probiotics, you might want to start to help with gut health. I’ve been doing water kefir (see my post at the link below) and it is a tasty fruit spritzer-like drink I think you would love that is full of probiotics and super inexpensive! You can buy water kefir grains online – I’ve seen them on etsy… http://fromscratchclub.com/2013/01/24/diy-project-water-kefir/

• Betsy says:

Looks good. Thanks for the recipe! We aren’t gluten free, but try to be since we have a lot of friends who are and want to help them enjoy what everyone else eats rather than have something small on the side just for them.

• Cathy says:

Hello! I would consider going grain-free as well and not buying lots of gluten free junk with all the different flours and such. Try to stick to almond flour or coconut flour. Will keep your blood sugar level much more stable! Good luck.

• vmm says:

So glad you figured out the culprit to his pain! Gluten is hard on so many.
    We recently discovered Wheat (along with Eggs, Dairy, Soy, Peanuts& tomatoes) to be allergens for my 4 yr old…took them out of her diet and her eczema cleared up! she was having delayed responses to them rather than the immediate ones that would’ve cued us to her allergies long ago. Its not easy sometimes to find meals but its so nice not having to see her in pain. Good luck to you!

• Sara says:

I really try to do G-free as well…I don’t need to but it really makes me feel much better and keeps my weight where I want it! I would be great to have a place where other Hip2Savers could share recipes along with what you post :) It’s always nice to have something new to make! Thanks Colin, can’t wait to try it!

• Alison says:

my husband and I both suffer from EE as well and it can indeed be very painful! reducing gluten has helped for us, even though it is a huge pain in the butt sometimes…

• Queen Mum says:

Looks amazing!! I’m making them tonight. I’m always looking for recipes that use almond flour. Thanks Collin :)

• danilynnbali says:

Yum! I did the Whole30 Challenge in Feb. and have basically been eating Paleo/gluten-free since then. It truly is amazing how wheat affects our bodies…and you don’t realize that until you take wheat away!!!

• Susan says:

Thanks for these recipes! My 8 year old son has autism. I have both of my boys (5yrs old and 8 yrs old) on a gluten free and casein free diet. We also avoid peanuts, eggs, soy, and high allergy foods. I recently started eating more of what they eat and feel great. Stick with the diet, and don’t get frustrated. It will pay off! PS. Love Hip2save… you have saved me so much money over the past 3 years. Thank You!!

• Andrea says:

I just went GF 4 weeks ago and am feeling SO much better! I already love your blog but now that you will be posting GF recipes it’ll be that much better!

PS- I have taken advantage of several of your GF deals that you have posted. THANK YOU for posting them as its an expensive proposition to go GF!

• Simon says:

Does anyone know if you can interchange almond flour and coconut flour in recipes? I can get good deals on coconut flour, but almond flour seems to be way more expensive.

• Christine says:

I know with coconut flour you need to use more eggs. Coconut flour needs more moisture (hope tht makes sense). Try doing searches for paleo recipes. I made my daughter an amazing coconut flour birthday cake with pink homemade icing (colored with a tiny bit of pureed beets). Found the cake recipe on paleoinpdx.com.

• julie says:

THANK YOU, CHRISTINE!!! My baby girl can’t handle diary so the cake recipe will be perfect for her 1st birthday cake!!

• Melissa says:

re: but almond flour seems to be way more expensive
      Just grind up almonds in a blender or even a coffee grinder. Make it yourself!

• Liz says:

Hi Collin, Thank you so much for this recipe. Recently went gluten- free, I was so sick of feeling crappy for no reason! I tried for a week and felt soo much better. Glad your husband is feeling better =)

• jane says:

Collin – YOu have to look into http://www.thefresh20.com There is a groupon for $29 for a year. It is the best thing I have ever done. There is a gluten plan (I am on the vegan/vegetarian). You get a 5 day menu (goumet tasting EVERY time), shopping list (very easy!) . Nothing is processed and every meal minus one in the last 5 months has been excellent. We have saved a ton of money and eating so much healthier. I have to small kids and preparing dinner has been much easier too! Promise that I don’t work for them ;) They also have a facebook page..

• Alexi says:

THANK YOU COLLIN AND CREW for always posting such helpful and entertaining articles. So glad, Collin, that you and Hubby are feeling better on your new diet. Me and mine are the same… last week and a half, during Hubby’s block leave before deployment, we’ve been endulging; eating out, take-out, frozen pizzas, etc. Just too much to take care of before he leaves and too little time to cook and eat properly like we usually do. Kids love it, but they aren’t big eaters anyway. Hubby and I, however, have not been feeling our best. Will definitely get back to our healthier way of eating… trying to make certain those good eating habits are engraved in Hubby’s head for when he’s on his own for a year lol.

• Emilytwinmom says:

I was diagnosed with celiac in 2006, and my oldest was diagnosed last year. We eat gluten free, but nothing else “free” LOL! I post many recipes on my blog if you want to try things like teriyaki chicken, cranberry chicken, beef stew, or dairy free gluten free chocolate cake :) I also list out a bunch of things that are gluten free by chance (like cool ranch doritos, my one must have!) and miracle whip. My blog is conqueringceliac.blogspot.com if you ever want to poke around for a recipe :) I have found that if you ask around you can find a pretty amazing gf flour alternative, depending on what area you live in. For me, it’s The Gluten Free Pantry’s All Purpose Flour. You can substitute it cup for cup with “real flour” in recipes! I still make my great great grandmother’s banana bread ;)

• Christina says:

Thanks for posting on here, I’ll be checking out your blog. My husband has Celiacs and doesn’t need or want all the other “free”. I mostly try to figure out how to adapt a normal recipe rather than making the GF ones out there filled with strange ingredients. Glad to hear we aren’t alone.

• shanna says:

Just bookmarked your page. I have celiac, and in a house of non-celiacs, I am always looking for a way to cook just ONE meal instead of theirs and “mine”. And always looking for recipes that I dont need to find crazy expensive ingredients. Thanks!!!

• musicalminded says:

i was wondering why so many gluten-free coupons were popping up lately :) I am glad you have been able to figure out the problem for your husband! I have to eat gluten-free for health reasons, and I’m so happy that you’ve been posting deals and coupons. Thank you!

PS-Since May is Celiac Awareness Month, please check-out http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/CDCFactSheets10_SymptomList.pdf

it may be the answer to your health questions :)

• musicalminded says:

I should’ve added, if you’re interested in getting tested for celiac disease, you must be actively consuming gluten. do not stop eating it until all testing is complete :)

• maflies1 says:

Appreciate you so much posting this. Sorry DH has that painful disorder. and had to go through all that. I also have erosive reflux esophagitis, so I can relate. Glad that you and he are feeling better after the diet change.

Interesting timing because I had read an article in the Sunday news magazine about frequent sores in the mouth being a symtom of celiac disease, and therefore requiring a gluten-free diet. I have been plaqued with them for years at times, but they have gotten to the point they are constant, and now having gut problems immediately after eatting also. So I’m thinking of checking this out. Thanks for all your help, Collin, and the comments of others. Will try the muffins!

• Jane says:

i am so super excited that you are doing this again – last year I was not into it and as of January 1st I am GF! I have to admit I am frightened of baking as it seems so much more complicated now:( Could I use Bob’s red mill GF flour instead of the almond flour? Thanks!!! I am also in support of a recipe area as well:)

• Starla says:

Thanks Collin. I have a colon issue, so I should probably go gluten free, but I need a simplified daily menu to figure it all out!! LOL

• Jenn says:

My Fiancee does much better when she eats gluten free, and we will get the results back from her testing soon. So we’ll see if she has to be gluten free (however we are eating more Gluten Free). I appreciate all the recipes and coupons. My future Father In Law is Gluten Free and we have been passing the coupons to my Mother in Law to help her out too.

• stacy says:

Colin maybe you can create a tab for receipes and we can post them maybe it won’t be so overwhelming for you to post

• Victoria says:

I just wanted to say that the food you eat can be the most powerful form of medicine. Myself, my husband, and our toddler completely eliminated packaged/processed foods, switched to a plant based, diet and eat 90% raw foods. It was the best thing I could have ever done for myself and for my family. It is more time consuming, and requires a lot of preparation, but it is more than worth the energy invested. We are happy, healthy, and energetic!

• gege1804 says:

Listen I know you say you are not very good at the baking thing and I can see it’s a lot of work to post all the details. But I got to tell you I am not a baker either, but your instructions are so easy to follow that it is inspiring me to try this baking thing. I will hopefully be making these this week-end :) keep posting, lol no pressure.

• Kelly says:

I suffer from EoE as well and I have yet to find out how to fix my issues. It is so painful. I want to cry when I eat sometimes.

• beth says:

thanks for commenting kelly. My son was diagnosed about a year ago and has been gluten/dairy/egg/spinach/turkey and treenut free since…..since he is now 4 I really have no idea how he feels and reading your post totally puts it into perspective…..he is going through another phase of refusing just about everything. He must be in pain :(

• Jenn says:

Kelly, I too have EoE, although I don’t have the pain issue. I get food stuck in my throat–which has been extremely scary. I am not sure how to fix my issues either, although I’ve heard that an allergy test can be a good start (as long as they do food allergies). Sorry it’s so painful for you:( I hope that you can sort things out and get some relief!

• jcade says:

I’m just finishing my first week of trying the gluten free thing. It’s a little easier than I thought it would be, simply because I’m feeling so much better, but man I’m missing bread right now! I found this AMAZING website that has some incredible recipes on it if anyone is interested. Try the chewy chocolate chip cookies, they’re so good that even the gluten addicts in my life loved them!

• Steph says:

Thanks so much, Collin! My youngest is gluten intollerant and I find it most difficult to be gluten-freen on a budget. Also, I’m always looking for great GF recipes-especially baked goods.

• Angela says:

Thank you for sharing your gluten-free story! It’s so refreshing to know I’m not the only one out there. Thanks for all of the GF coupons too!

• sara says:

Thank you so much for sharing these gluten free recipes. They are such a blessing!

• Megan says:

I too have had to drop gluten and soy (and coffee :-()from my diet due to an autoimmune disease. I have been eating this way for almost 4 weeks now. Honestly, I don’t feel any better yet, but a friend of mine says it takes 6 to 8 weeks to clear gluten from your system.

I don’t find it that hard to avoid gluten because gluten free is much more prevalent these days than it used to be. However, avoiding soy is a pain. It is in so much stuff especially as soybean oil and soy lecithin.

Thanks for posting this recipe! I am looking forward to trying it!

• Kelly says:

I am allergic to soy – how do you do it?! How do I cut it out?

• Cara says:

Kelly, I’m allergic to soy too. Trying to eliminate it can be overwhelming at first but it does get easier. Make sure to read each label, every time. I buy very few packaged foods, cook fresh/whole foods and bake my own bread (a bread machine was my best purchase ever!). Soy can be hidden in foods under various names such as hydrolized vegetable protein, natural flavorings, etc., and can be found in almost every packaged item in the grocery store; baked goods, soup, tuna, frozen foods, snacks, whipped cream and so forth. Here’s a good article to help you get started and learn hidden sources: http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplicity.com/living-with-a-soy-allergy/ Good luck!

• My husband and son both have EE. Such a difficult thing to manage, especially at first as you are learning what can be eaten and what can’t, what medications work and what doesn’t, and so on. Good luck to you. Be sure to watch your kids for this as well because it is a hereditary condition!

• I take apple cider vinegar every day. I have a friend with the same problem as your husband and he tried the cider vinegar and hasn’t had his throat close once since he started taking it daily! Your honey should add that to his daily routine. Amazing stuff!

• Patty says:

My 7 year old son can’t have dyes (some of the natural ones too) and can’t have certain preservatives – he developed allergies to them from having too many antibiotics when he was younger. He had many ear infections and bronchitis. We eat pretty healthy, but he can’t even have a treat once in a while anymore with a dye. Once we found alternatives for certain foods and receipes it was fine and it always feels good to know we are all eating healthier. It will probably come second nature to you cooking and baking gluten free once you find receipes you like and there will be plenty of good easy ones you eventually find. I can’t wait to make the muffin recipe! Thanks.

• Lorri says:

I had these this morning. They are in the oven now. I did think the “batter” was very, very thick. I went ahead and added a fourth banana and a fourth egg, and it was still very thick. I was wondering what your consistency was. I will let you know how they turn out, in about 15 minutes! :) Thank you.

• Lisa says:

Glad to hear you husband is feeling better. Eating gluten free has worked for us as well even though it can be a challenge at times (we’re a family of six). Probiotics are great for digestive issues (just make sure to check the label for gluten free). I have stumbled across some really good GF recipes over the years, although I’m not sure how paleo friendly they are I’d be happy to share.

• Brandy Riley says:

My son is 4 and he has Eosinophilic Esophagatis as well.. There are many great sites and pages out there for information if you need them. There is a fb group that shares recipes as well. I highly recommend checking out APFED.org too.. I know its overwhelming but hang in there.. He will be feeling better in no time!

• Kristy says:

Yes, thank you so much for highlighting gluten free deals! I am gluten free. For me, I found that being gluten free eliminated depression/mental anxiety that I had for years.

• Laurie says:

If you have not ruled out celiac, it would not be a bad idea. The genetic blood test (you only need 1 gene) can be done any time and can rule it out. The celiac blood panel, to see if you have it triggered, can only be done if you are eating gluten for a number of weeks. I am just saying, because with celiac you should never ever cheat and with intolerance I guess you may cheat, not sure.

I love your recipes and you do not have to post pictures, just the final one if you want, people are more interested in the recipe itself, at least I am.

Thank you!

• Shawn says:

Check out http://www.tastespotting.com, and type gluten into the search window. I love this site and browse it for new GF recipes to try.

• Jodie says:

Looks delish

• This is the awesome. I just made these. I used 1/2 the cinnamon, doubled the vanilla. I wasn’t expecting anything great, for i am the banana bread queen, ALTHOUGH I was looking for something that was a bit better for you. OMG, I have to say, that this is amazing!