HIP’s Summer Challenge Week #5: Homemade Slip N’ Slide (Inexpensive, Durable and Reusable!)

As I mentioned here, my family headed to the East Coast late last week to visit my dad and grandmother. Unfortunately, the weather has been kind of crummy (nonstop rain and thunderstorms with temperatures in the 70′s – not exactly the best beach weather).  But, hey, we are on vacation and determined to have a great time despite the weather.

So for Week #5 of HIP’S Summer Challenge, we decided to make our own Slip N’ Slide. My dad has the perfect backyard for this sort of slide with a large hill, lots of grassy space, and a sprinkler. First, we headed to the local home improvement store and purchased a 50 ft. x 8 ft. heavy-duty plastic sheeting for around $16 (you can find a similar item here on Home Depot.com). To anchor the slide on the grass, we used some tent stakes that my dad had in his storage shed (you could likely purchase stakes at the store for around $2 or less). Then just add some water and baby/dish soap if you have kiddos that like a super fast slide.

As you can see from the pictures above, all of the kids have been having a great time on the slide! They even used their Boogie Boards and tubes for an even faster ride. And the slide has been used daily so it was well worth the $16 investment – in my opinion, it is the perfect item to purchase/create for summer as it is re-usable, durable and fairly inexpensive.

HIP Tips:

* Set up your slide in a grassy area free of rocks and sticks

* Only use baby/dish soap if you want a super fast ride; if you have smaller kids, plain water is likely fast enough

* Be sure that the plastic is completely dry before you store it away to avoid mold and mildew

* For step by step instructions, check out this post.

Have you ever created a homemade Slip N Slide or any other sort of water-related activity at home for your kids?!

HIP’s Summer Challenge

Every Monday throughout this summer, I will be publishing a Weekly Post centered around different activities that I have personally done with my 3 kiddos (ages 6, 8, and 11) for around $10 or less. You can check out previous Summer Challenge posts here:

HIP’s Summer Challenge Week #4: FREE Movie Night at the Local Park
HIP’s Summer Challenge Week #3: Picking Strawberries at Local Idaho Farm
HIP’s Summer Challenge Week #2: Making Monsters University Scarers
HIP’s Summer Challenge Week #1: Bowling for Free

• Jamiee says:

Great idea!!!

• lj says:

Yup, we’ve done this too :) Problem is that it was for adults. And adults usually tear it up, so it won’t last for a second use :)

• Erin says:

Looks like fun, but BE CAREFUL! We had a homemade one similar to this at a church function when I was a kid, and a little boy ended up with 30 some stitches! He cut his leg on the edge as he was sliding down…like a giant paper cut!

• Sarah says:

I officially have the heebie jeebies.

• Jennifer says:

At the church down the road from us, teens got going super fast and didn’t wait until people CLEARED the bottom. One teen that I know ended up with a broken arm. Just be careful and supervise and ONE at a time!

• Erin says:

Yup. Watch those tent stakes, too. I split my knee open. Should have had stitches but instead have a wide scar.

• rita says:

U r darn creative Collin.I have become your fan!!

• Emily says:

That is an awesome slip n slide! I love that it is much wider and longer than the branded ones. Wonder if it is thin enough to let enough light get through so the grass wouldn’t die under it if you kept it up for two or three weeks at a time?

• Erin says:

Nope. Putting a clear tarp down for a few weeks is actually a “green” method used to kill grass. I wouldn’t leave it down unless you don’t care about the lawn.

• Coleen6000 says:

Do you need a hill? My yard is FLAT, wonder if it would work as well.

• Stacy says:

You don’t need a hill if your kids are old enough to be able to safely do a rumming start. Hills are better for little kids.

• We do this, too :) Planning to set it up for a huge back to school bash in August.

• Jamie says:

Make sure there are no holes in the ground where you set it up – I destroyed my knee by stepping in a hole when I was running towards it to slide when I was young.

• Nicole says:

My cousin sets one of these up at her son’s birthday party every August. They use jugs of cheap laundry detergent she gets on sale. Warning, that stuff HURTS when one of the kids gets in their eyes! (that is why baby shampoo is a better idea)

• jennifer says:

I have heard you can attach a 2-liter bottle to the end of a water hose and punch a bunch of holes in it and throw over a tree limb for a cool sprinkler. I have not tried this yet but I want to. Anyone tried it yet?

• karen says:

My 18 year old did this at a graduation party, unfortunately he wound up at the emergency room with 8 stitches in his knee from a rock. Poor kid…

• Crystal says:

We vacationed at Long Point Cabins on the North Carolina Outer Banks this weekend.
    The weather was terrible. But we made the most of it by playing games and catching up on some much needed rest and sleep. But no beach time at all.

• Robin says:

FYI: Billboard signs are now made from tarp material, and it is super heavy duty. We buy them from a local sign shop in Central Michigan they are $25 and they wouldnt need to be anchored to the ground. they are 15×48.

• Robin says:

This way there is plenty of room on each side after sliding down the middle. We use ours on the flat ground and my grandbabies are 2.5 and 1.5 we just use water, kind of fun, I usually set the sprinkler real low in it, they just slide around not so much slip n slide together.

• That is really cool! I made something similar from that same plastic sheeting. It is a water pillow. It was really fun for the little ones, but I loved laying on it too. Nice and cool. In my first attempt, I used .7 MIL which was WAY too thin. I would def use 2 MIL next time. http://www.bubblews.com/news/733043-water-pillow-my-first-attempt

• Su says:

We turned our old vinyl swimming pool into an extension for our slip in slide, it works great!

• ニューバランス キッズ ニューバランス 人気 http://www.baidulen.com/