HIP’s School Supply Price Points (+ Printable Spreadsheet!)

Over the last few weeks, I have received numerous emails from Hip2Save readers asking me to share my personal price points for school supplies. And I am happy to report that I have finally compiled a list for you! Yesterday, I spent several hours going through School Supply blog posts from the last 2 years or so in an effort to determine the absolute lowest price for popular items and the typical sale prices for items.

As an example, I determined that the price point for a 24 count box of Crayola Crayons is 25¢. In other words, I would stock up on Crayola Crayons whenever I find them priced at 25¢ or less. Since Back to School sales are already starting up again in full swing, you should have an opportunity to snag these crayons at this price or less if you just wait patiently over the next few weeks. And this same theory applies to all the school supplies on my list!

To view HIP’s School Supply Price Points, just click on this link or on the image above to print or save the PDF file to your computer! I would encourage you to consider printing it out and placing it in your Coupon Binder for reference when you are at the store. Or, if you’d rather, you can go here and save the Price Points document to your computer and edit/change the prices based on your personal shopping experiences!

DISCLAIMER: Note that several of the items on my list have the lowest price as FREE. Keep in mind that to get this FREE price, you may be required to make a minimum purchase (as is often the case at Staples) and/or to sign up for a Rewards Program or submit a rebate. Also note that these items may only be “free” once or twice per year – for this reason, I have given you a range.

If you disagree with my Price Points and/or have items to add, please share in the comments below!

• jen says:

AWESOME list, as a teacher I am always looking for the best price points. This week target has a GREAT deal on glue sticks, 6 pack for $0.99, that’s only $0.16 per glue stick!!!!!
    THANKS YOU!

• Karla says:

I was at Target yesterday to buy the 6-pk of Elmer’s glue sticks for $0.99 when I noticed that they have Up and Up 2-pk glue sticks for $0.25! Couldn’t resist purchasing 12.5-cent glue sticks!

• Jennine says:

Last year walmart had them for 10c each reg price for back to school :) but that is still a good price

• Amy says:

Does anyone know when Walmart starts their HOT deals?

• Kayla says:

How do you get cap erasers for $0.01?! I thought $0.25 was good at Walgreens this week!!

• CarolW says:

THANK YOU for putting the time into making this list!

• Nicole says:

I would change Mechanical Pencils to FREE – 10 cents each, and the glue sticks this year have been 1 penny to 5 cents each (which I’m LOVING!!! a glue stick to a preschooler is a single-use item hahaha). Thanks for the list!

• Celeste says:

This year target has several up & up products that say compare to Elmers & Crayola. We are going to give the glue sticks 2 pack $0.25 and the colored pencils 24ct. for $0.99 a try!
    Last year I waited for the $0.25 pack of crayons and they never went below $0.50. I bought last week at $0.50 just in case so we don’t miss out!
    Last week Walgreens & Walmart had some great buys and this week Target has some great deals! I noticed that sometimes the smaller packs were the better deal! Love getting stuff on sale and then put away! dont have the stress of trying to find things when they are picked over or out of stock!

• Rachel says:

You can get crayons colored pencils for a dollar watch the sales.

• Madison says:

I too have been waiting for the colors to get to 25 cents per back but 50 cents was the smallest amount I could find. My Kindergarten has to have 10 packets of these among several other items. smh

• LaurenB says:

This list helps a ton!! What do you girls think is a good price point for construction paper?

• H says:

If you have an a ALDI, they have hand sanitizer (compairable to Purell) it is .99 at my store.

• Ketsy says:

Love this list! Just had to make my own a few weeks back and looking at last year’s receipts. I think it sounds about right except the Lysol/Clorox wipes is tricky ugh. Other than the Amazon deal, it seems hard to find a good price in a regular store. 3-75ct for $5 isn’t cheap when the big can has about the same amount of wipes for a around $6. It’s like price per wipe on this one for me.

To sneak past this item and not fail the teacher, I bought the fat can for $1 and change after using my Office Dept Wrapp $5. :D

• PCL says:

Target had some cleaning products on clearance! The Targets in my area had the Clorox Disinfecting wipes for less than $2 . & I paired it with the $1/2 coupon.

• VISHNU says:

Couple weeks ago glue was 1c for 4oz bottle at staples, and just last week sharpners were 25c at office depot. those are the two I think may be a lil off. Also backpacks at 2.99 at walgreens is a great price to add to list. Purelle 1 oz at 10c last week at office max.

• Jessica P says:

I have an older android and for some reason Im not able to view the spreadsheet. When I click on the links,it attempts to download to my phone but then says download unsuccessful :( Is there a way I can view this? My laptop crashed so all I have is this android. I dont have much money at all right now and I need to start school shopping now so this spreadsheet will help. The biggest bummer for me is not being able to print coupons.

• PCL says:

This is the JPG version of the PDF that I converted for you guys who can’t view it via Adobe.

• Ashley says:

Here, I copy and pasted it for you :) Good luck!
      Copy Paper = FREE - $1
      • Glue Stick = 25¢
      • Spiral Notebook = 1¢ - 50¢
      • Composition Book = 10¢ - 50¢
      • Scissors = 50¢ - $1
      • Pencil Case = 1¢ - 25¢
      • 2-Pocket Folder = 1¢ - 25¢
      • White Out Correction Fluid = $1 (or $2 or less per 2-pack)
      • Highlighters = FREE to 25¢ per highlighter
      • Index Cards, 100 ct pack = 1¢ to 50¢
      • 5-tab Dividers = 1¢ to 50¢
      • Facial Tissue = 80¢ or less per box
      • Disinfectant Wipes canisters(usually Clorox or Lysol) = $2 or less
      • Hand Sanitizer, 8 oz = $2 or less
      • Paper Towels = 50¢ or less perroll

• Kelly says:

Where in the world do you get binders for .75?? I need six this year! I usually do Walgreen’s when they are buy one get one free. I need 1.5″ size.

• Kayla says:

I’m with you! I need a 2″ and a 1.5″! I got some up and up ones at Target for $2.70 after Cartwheel. I didn’t think it was that bad for a quality binder!

• Mia says:

I have been getting binders at Srapkes. They give you $2 whenever you bring an old one in. Their bindi sets were 3.99 so $2 for a high quality Avery binder. Also purple and orange binders were on clearance.

• Stacie Most says:

I am also unable to download/save or open anything on my desktop- I think the links may be broken? when I try to open in a new tab I get 404 file directory error.

• ingrid says:

I just downloaded it via adobe into a pdf on my Galaxy Note. It worked fine.

• Katelyn says:

YES!~ Thank you!!!

• Heather says:

Thank you so much for taking the time to put this list together! Fortunately, I’m still SUPER stoked from all the deals you posted about last year (10 cent composition books at Best Buy, filler paper, notebooks, etc.) and hope to add to my stockpile this year.

I’m really glad I stocked up (over 50 boxes!) on 25 cent crayola 24pk crayons last week at Toys R Us. Hopefully I find many more similar deals! Great for donation bins!!

• Ali says:

I got the 8 packs of bic mechanical pencils today at target $1.25- $1.00/2 bic from the target mailer and they work out to $0.09 each. Less than you price point:) I was trying to get the 10 for $0.50 at Office max deal but they were out (only Monday) and wouldn’t give raincheck. Thanks for the list!

• Bridget says:

I went to Walmart today and got them to price match the Bic pens to 25 cents, then used the 1.50/2 coupon and got $1 back. Woohoo.

• Rachel says:

Last year I got roseart crayons markers colored pencils and chalk all free at target with a coupon got the nice five star folders for free with coupon too. Just wait and see what happens. I did staples alot! Did the free after rebate items my storage room is totally stocked up. I got lots of freebies with target store printable s for pens too.

• shannon says:

I am so thankful for the list. With older kids now, I underestimated how much filler paper I”d need last year and ended up running out during the year and had to pay full price. I’ll just buy a lot more this year as it keeps for a long time. Also, in Fla we have a tax free holiday Aug 2-4 so school supplies are tax exempt. Every little bit helps!

• Deana – We have the same thing with our daughter entering kindergarten. At first I was irritated because it sounded a little too nit picky. For example, blue scissors. Not green scissors, not yellow scissors, not red scissors, but they *have* to be blue scissors? I’m not even sure we bought the “right” blue. What if they want navy blue or royal blue? We bought light blue. The teacher wants 5 large Elmer’s glue sticks, so none of the store brand and Elmer’s regular-sized glue sticks I’ve been stocking up on is sufficient? I was thinking, “Can’t I just send her to school with 10 regular sized glue sticks instead of 5 large ones?” They specifically want Kleenex tissue. And Clorox disinfectant wipes, not Lysol which happened to be on sale.

I ended up just buying everything exactly the way it was asked for on the list. I don’t want to have problems with the teachers on the first day of school over school supplies. There’s going to be plenty of kid’s that don’t have their school supplies, and plenty of parent’s who are going to give the teachers a hard time about it. I just decided not to be one of them, even though my initial reaction was WHAT??. :) I figure that there’s probably some explanation for why the supplies have to be so uniform. Maybe it’s so that the kids can focus on the learning and projects, instead of on the fact that someone has zebra printed scissors.

• Whit says:

I completely understand the frustration with the specifics. My only comment is my daughter is allergic to something in the Lysol wipes- but the Clorox ones are fine. Sometimes we don’t know the reasoning for the specifics but they are necessary. Last year some insisted on the Lysol wipes and I had to pick up my daughter several times from being covered in hives.

• Kristen says:

The teachers have probably found that Elmer’s glue works better than store brands, and I guess they think 5 large ones will last longer (but like you say, why not 10 small ones?). Maybe all the same color scissors will cut down on fighting over colors??
        You are a gem for buying everything exactly as the teacher wants ;) Our school district is no longer allowed to ask parents to provide things like Kleenex, sanitizer, Ziploc bags, wipes, etc. Only curriculum-based supplies that students will directly use for learning. The school’s budget, or optional parent donations, are supposed to buy the other things. I think some schools’ requests were getting out of control!

• shannon says:

I find it to be a big financial hardship to buy the extensive list of supplies our county asks for. They want Ziploc bags, Clorox wipes, Kleenex, Paper towels (all the most expensive brands), and baby wipes. This is in addition to the standard school supplies. On our school supply list it says “In no instance are these supplies mandatory.”
          I do not feel guilty not bringing all these supplies as I have seen entire closets full of these items at the end of the year. This is so wasteful.
          We pay hefty taxes for our school and it is aggravating to then be asked to bring so many supplies.

• Madison says:

I have even been told by teachers that the salvation army donates many supplies to the schools that the school keep in addition to asking for massive supply list. Why do we need all this? smh

• Deana says:

I have a question for the Mom’s who have previously had children in school. My daughter is starting kinder this year and her school has asked for specific brands of things. These brands typically are more expensive (crayola vs target brand for example). I went ahead and purchased the exact brands, types, measurement, number of items, and colors for everything the school asked for. It was crazy things like 1.25 oz Elmer’s glue… uh no one sells that size here. I had to order it. Also they asked for 3 pencil bags, 3 packages of broad markers and two packs of fine markers. Is this normal? My main question is ….Must I buy the more expensive brands like they ask? She will be in a private Christian school so I did not know if it was appropriate to not buy exactly the brands they asked for. I am assuming most parents will buy the exact brand but I do not have loads of money. Basically, I am selling the shirt off my back to pay for this year’s tuition. Your help is much appreciated. The total for purchasing all of her basic supplies came to right at $40. If I had bought the supply package from her school it would have been $55.

• alikia29 says:

There are many products they name specific brands for because they are much better products. Name brand glue sticks generally stick much better, Crayola crayons are the only ones worth using, etc. I don’t think the size matters too much. If she is young her supply list will include a lot arts and craft stuff which hopefully means they will get a lot of arts and craft time.

• J says:

I agree that it could be a quality issue, but it could also be a jealousy issue as well. Especially for kinder kids who may want their neighbor’s fancy twist-up crayons instead of what’s in their own pencil box, if you know what I mean. As far as buying multiples, the teacher probably has a good idea of how long things will last and is trying to make it easier on parents to buy the stuff now, when it’s cheapest. I probably would have called/emailed the school or teacher and asked if it had to be exact items since it seems like an extensive list. Mine are in 4th and 6th and I will spend under $15 total for both of their needs, $40 seems out of sight for just one little one!

• kath says:

Our school has crazy lists they estimate you will spend 80 dollars but I refuse to buy the names they request. They are kids. Crazy. My 1st grader is supposed to bring 18 expo markers. What?!? I say they should be happy with what I can get. I just got my lists yesterday and am about to venture out.

• shannon says:

at the bottom of our lists it has a statement saying “these items are not mandatory by the school district.” I just do what I can as they ask for soo much stuff in our area too. I have seen entire closets and bathrooms full of supplies the school doesn’t use. I don’t feel a need to buy all these items as they are so excessive. I remember when we were asked to bring paper and pencils.

• Heather says:

WOW! That’s A LOT!

• carolyn says:

Last year my son started kindergarten and he was supposed to have 16 ct crayola crayons, but they were so expensive compared to the 24 ct. I ended up just buying the 24 ct. When I took them to school, I saw that the pre-ordered package ended up just buying the 24 ct for the kids. So I am just going to go ahead with the one that makes the most sense financially as long as it is the name brand they want.

• Heather says:

I’m in the SAME boat! I’m a single mom of 2 and paying for tuition at the Private Christian school ON TOP of the demanding school lists, misc. fees, etc. It’s killing me!

• Joan says:

As a teacher, I know that it does not matter to me which brand of crayons, glue, etc. is being used, but as was mentioned with the Lysol vs. Clorox wipes above, it may be an allergy/medical issue. For example, a student with Celiac disease was only allowed to use and sit at a desk where Elmer’s glue and Crayola crayons were used due to glutens in other brands. This was especially a concern if school supplies would be communal in the classroom or if students switched desks a lot for group work. Until I had students with more severe gluten issues, I never even knew that glutens were something to worry about in trace amounts on hands. I guess it just depends on the child and you wouldn’t necessarily know if a classmate had health issues of this nature due to confidentiality laws.

• Emily says:

Great info, just a heads up regarding office max’s brand mechanical pencils. They were really poor quality, in fact I had to throw them away because they would not stay together! Really surprised!

• Sarah says:

I am a teacher and I have to buy 30 binders for my class. Where do you find them for .75? I’m trying to hold out for the best deal.

• Min says:

Keep an eye out for deals at Staples. That’s where I usually get the best deals, though I will admit I don’t have an Office Depot or Max nearby, so I don’t have tons of experience with them. Get yourself a Teacher Rewards Cards (or whatever the name is). As your points add up you can use the rewards for other things down the road. Hope that helps!

• Larkin says:

My kids teachers require 3 and 5 subject notebooks which are so much more expensive than the single subject ones. I usually end up purchasing them at Wal Mart.
    Whats the best place (or deal) for finding these? Maybe paring a sale with the P & G coupon, $1/2 Five Star products?

• PaChee says:

Question !!! :
    What would you say the price point for a watercolor paint set is? I gotta buy this for 4K (preschool) & I would like to know what a good price for it would be.

• Allie says:

I am a middle school teacher in a public school. For middle school, the brands and sizes do not matter much, since the students generally keep their own supplies rather than turning them in. For donations, teachers (at least in the schools I have worked) are overjoyed to receive ANY donations at all, so buy the most reasonable brand/size for your situation.

However, I do agree that some name brand items have significantly better quality. After buying cheaper dry-erase markers, I now look for deals on Expo. Many of the cheaper brands do not erase well at all.

• Araceli Andrade says: