Being a Girl Rocks Most of the Time…

(Piper and my niece, Adeline)

My low this week – it’s that time of the month. Period. ;)

As for my high this week, I am blessed to be surrounded by lots of amazing women (both young and old). In addition to having my mom and both of my sisters close by, I also have 2 nieces and of course, Piper, my 6 year old daughter.

And what do all of us women like to do when we get together – have a fun and frugal girl’s day which typically involves manicures and pedicures at home. Just a few nights ago, I gave Piper a fun little manicure – it always amazes me how simple little activities like this can create such special memories.

P.S. Like the stars on Piper’s toes?! I snatched them up at The Dollar Tree recently.

Every Wednesday, I share my high(s) and low(s) for the past week and I encourage you to do the same in the comment section below. My high(s) will simply be the best or most exciting thing that happened to me over the last week or so and my low(s) will be something not so great that took place.

• Eris says:

they are both gorgeous little girl, but Piper is most def your mini me!

• jkp1014 says:

No Maury needed to tell you that Piper is definitely your kid. She looks JUST LIKE YOU!!

• Danette says:

My high this week is the lab results I received from Doctor yesterday during my chemo treatment. Just one month ago I found out I have stage 3 multiple myeloma (cancer of the plasma cells). After some extensive chemo treatment and two blood transfusions my labs for my plasma cells fell significantly yesterday! Yeah! This is totally a God thing praise him! I have been blessed with few side effects. My low I guess would be that I have my cancer to deal with, but I WILL beat it with God giving me strength.

• michelle Sebastian says:

She is so cute! Don’t you just love squishy children’s feet?!

• Adri mom says:

My high.. Celebrating my youngest daughter’s 2nd birthday. My low… Struggling to maintain a balance necessary to be a working mom. I never feel like I can give 100% to my kids or 100% at work and it’s really weighing on me.

• Queenmum says:

Yippee for the home pedi!! Cheap and clean.
    I know adults who don’t know how to paint their own nails. You can save a ton doing your own. What a great skill to pass on.

• karen says:

First of all I would have to say my high right now, is my deck for my pool is almost complete. The guy who’s building it is amazing and his story is too. When he was 19 he was run over by a train, and lost both legs, and one arm. That hasn’t stopped him at all from doing what he loves to do, build decks. It’s just so amazing to see him work. He and his crew along with my husband have built a beautiful deck which will be done tomorrow. Collin, that background with those mountains is breath taking. My low is that my parents who I’m very close to, just moved to North Carolina today, so it’s very sad for me :(

• Tiffany Willets says:

Fun!!

• Kathleen says:

Awww such cute girls!! :)

• tracy says:

Idk if it was just me.but why did u mention period lol. I have no absolute high yet.my low is that this morning my rabbit passed.i had had her for five yrs.i think it was just her time.another low is that there was a vet bill of $40. Just for group cremation and using the emergency of the vet.they hadnt done anything becuz by the time we got her to the vet she had passed shortly when i got through the door

• Tilla Ham says:

sorry for your rabbit friend loss. they are very sweet, my mom raised them throughout my life. 40 dollars is actually incredibly inexpensive and some vets would charge you 800 for that, so don’t feel low:)

• rebecca says:

Oh, I’m so sorry for your loss Tracy. Rabbits are just so sweet and innocent. I lost my dear cat friend in April because it too, was just his time. I read this before he passed, knowing it would bring me some small comfort. Hopefully it will help you too.

“We are not meant to lose our children. And yet, we take pets on, knowing we’ll have to lose them. It’s the package deal, to the very end.”

(Please, no one get upset that it compares children and pets. It’s meant in the best possible way.)

• My low for the day was hearing about the shooting of two teachers, as I am the daughter-in-law and wife to two amazing teachers! My high for the day, after switching to a more organic, gluten-free diet, I found that I have lost ten pounds in three weeks!

• Tilla Ham says:

okay please share, I feel so fat and gross…and I am at a loss as to how to start doing something to change it around

• Well, I just came to a point were I did not feel well, and have since started with small things such as switching to gluten-free bisquick and flour, using agave instead of sugar, mio instead of soda, adding magnesium to my diet, drinking green tea daily, eating more fruits, passing on the extra bread and potatoes, and opting to walk and exercise one hour every other day. I felt that turning thirty was still way too young to feel so old! You can do it, Tilla! You rock!

• Christine says:

Also check out GAPS or SCD diet. Very healthy. Will give you amazing energy. Very hard going off the bad stuff but so worth it once you get past the withdrawal:)

• parker says:

My low has been some financial woes. But the high was seeing an old friend for the first time in weeks, maybe months, and spending the evening at the movies laughing and sharing popcorn. :)

• rach says:

oh i love how open you are sometimes. :)

• Mark says:

One lesson I’ve learned during my lifetime, is that children don’t really want materialistic things, they want the love of their parents, they want to feel that their parents really wanted them, enough to spend quality time with them. Anyone can give a child material things, but what the child needs, and will remember is they age, is to feel wanted and love by their parents.

My children have their own children now, and they keep telling me that what they remember about their childhood, isn’t the material gifts, I gave them, but the fact that I made time for them, so they felt loved, wanted and that they were special.

• Jennifer says:

That little cutie is defiantly your daughter! Wow she looks exactly like you!!

• Jamie D says:

High of the day is all three kids with special needs are doing great still. Low of the day is my dad was just dx with stage 4 esophageal cancer within the last few days.

• crystal says:

Very Sorry to hear about your dad. My dad has cancer as well. He was diagnose early last year. We just found out that his cancer has spread and he now requires chemotherapy. That is my low. My high is that I have 2 wonderful kids and a very supportive husband.

• Tilla Ham says:

my high was I didn’t have the little one I babysit, and while I love him, it was nice to have a day off. my low for the past several days is this psycho witch of a mom at our dance studio making me hate being there after being there for 11 years and 20 hours a week with some great friends…I think she has watched one too many episodes with abby lee and she must be auditioning for a tv show

• Shannon says:

My low is your low ;) and the kiddos are sick. My high is being able to spend time with the kiddos and take care of them. Even though they’re sick, they are happy when they get a mama day.

• Toria says:

My low today was waking up to find that my 3 year old boy had gotten a hold of a permanent marker and scribbled all over EVERYTHING—-counters, walls, table, chairs, fridge, shoes, toys, and our couch! It was a huge test of my patience and anger management skills… My high is when I discovered that (after trying tons of products) Mr. Clean’s Magic Eraser gets out black Sharpie out of suede, velvet, canvas, etc! My couch was saved! And most of everything else, too, so happy!

• Denise says:

What HAPPY looking girls! I always pray for my niece, and little girls everywhere!

• Em says:

Low: formula is soooo expensive.
    High: child #8 expected soooooo soon after #7

• edy says:

My high moment was that my elderly boss bought me a car. He had told me several months ago that he was going to buy me one because, I had bless him, I asked myself why? How? I, have only work for him for 4 years, my other blessing has been that it will be a year that my mother had a kidney transplant, and today she, called me she couldn’t get her medicine because, computer problems pharmacy, I said, I would take care of it, after talking to a pharmacist she said I had 30 min to get to her (pharmacy) either she would give me loaners for 5 days or a month whichever,she could do, I made it and parked at a expensive parking lot, nowhere else, in busy downtown area, well got her a month supply and a free parking . So, I count, those blessings, and throught my cuponing I was able to take a lot of things to a special needs center on tuesday!!

• snoopymom says:

My low is that my 10 yr old is very sick with strep throat and a bad upper respiratory infection. She ended up at urgent care with my husband at 9 last night really struggling to breathe. I hope she will be well enough to go to school tomorrow because I need to go to work!

My high is the wonderful doctor at urgent care who took care of her and treated her like a person. We have had too many bad experiences at this urgent care but it is the only one open in the area after 8 and is closer than the ER.

• Maria says:

My low is that my Grandpa fell and hit his head and was having seizures. Thankfully, he is out of the ICU and it sounds like he will not have to be hospitalized much longer and on to rehabilitation.

My HIGH, for the time being, is that I get to be neighbors to my brother, sister in law, 3 little adorable nieces, my mom and my dad! (Not to mention down the lane is where my Grandpa (the one who fell) and Grandma live as well!). We are trying to fix up and sell our house and so we moved completely out and we are living in a rental house that my parents own for now. Such a treat!

• Martina says:

So cute:)
    I am sitting 2 days past my due date fighting a sinus infection, which is both a high and low. We didn’t find out what we are having, but maybe I will have a little girl to do fun girlie things with!

• karen says:

my comments don’t compare to the sadness some on here are going through this week. My low was the spider bite my husband got 2 wks ago while in FL and got infected and swollen. My high is its getting better and he won’t have to be admitted to the hospital and my heater in my house didn’t need replacement, only to be re-lit by the plumber.

• Shannon says:

Collin- just wanted to let you know that your high & low posts have inspired me to do this with my family. Starting a few months back we do this every night at the dinner table. It’s a great way for us to connect and hear about our days. My 6 year old son & 3 year old daughter love it and it has been such a blessing for our family. Thanks again for another great idea!

• CW says:

Piper looks JUST like you!