Today, I’m sharing this awesome black bean burger recipe that is inspired by the popular restaurant, Chili’s Grill & Bar. These burgers are easy to make and taste fantastic! By using a food processor to combine black beans, onion, and garlic, you’ll quickly be able to create a yummy meatless “burger patty” bursting with flavor.
Black Bean Burgers – Chili’s Inspired Recipe
(adapted from Cooks.com)
* 1 can (14 oz.) black beans or 1 and 1/2 cups cooked dried beans (check out this post for tips on How to Cook Dried Beans)
* 1 small onion
* 2 cloves garlic (crushed)-substitute appx. 1/4 tsp. garlic powder or minced garlic
* 2 tsp. cajun seasoning
* 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
* 1 egg
* 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (like Sriracha)
* 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
* Hamburger buns
* Cheese or any toppings desired
Drain beans well. Put onion and garlic in food processor and blend until fine. Add beans and blend well until mashed consistency. Place into a mixing bowl and add bread crumbs, egg, hot sauce, parsley, Cajun seasoning, and stir. Mix well and shape 4 patties (I opted to make 3 larger patties). Place on a well greased stovetop grill pan like I did or use an outdoor grill. Cook 5-6 minutes on each side. You can also cook in the oven on Broil for 10-12 minutes per side on a greased foil-lined pan.
Notes: These are fragile patties and tricky to turn so be careful. I used two spatulas to flip the patties and I think thicker patties are much easier to flip.
My family absolutely loved these – my little ones did not even realize they were eating “meatless” burgers. Since these burgers reheat and freeze well, consider doubling the recipe and freezing some for later. Enjoy!