Please upgrade your browser

Sign up for our daily email newsletter:

Sign In:

  View changes →

Tax Filing Options & Tips Round-Up

1:41 PM MST
The links in the post below may be affiliate links. Read the full disclosure.

Still needing to file your taxes? As you know, Tax Day (April 15th, 2014) is only 1 week away! So here’s a round up of a few current tax filing options that you may want to take advantage of. Also feel free to share any tips that you may have learned throughout the years!

* Head on over here where you can file completely FREE with H&R Block that also now includes FREE live tax advice. It is FREE to prepare, FREE to print, FREE to e-file, includes FREE live tax advice, FREE audit support, representation from an enrolled agent, and 100% Accuracy Guarantee and Maximum Refund Guarantee. Plus 1 FREE federal e-file is included. And, they have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau!

* Head over here to sign up for a FREE Federal edition of Turbo Tax (you’ll be able to prepare, print and electronically file your federal tax return for free). Plus, they’re rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau! Or if you prefer, head here to save $10 on Turbo Tax Deluxe, $15 on TurboTax Premier and $20 on TurboTax Home & Business (these savings offers expire 2/21/14).

* Consider using (Rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau!) to e-file directly to the IRS completely FREE. You can choose to do a FREE Federal e-file OR score the Deluxe Edition for $5.95. This site has also been highly recommended by Hip2Save readers in the past!

* Head over here to sign up for a FREE Federal edition of TaxACT (you’ll be able to prepare, print and electronically file your federal tax return for free). Plus, they’re rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau!

* You may also consider using e-Smart Tax by Liberty Tax to e-file completely free. E-Smart Tax technology ensures you get your highest possible refund as well as simple step-by-step Q&A preparation, Zero hidden fees, Online or in-person help with more than 4,000 Liberty Tax offices open year round and more!

* Another option is you can head on over to where you can get your taxes done completely FREE! DIY Tax’s easy question-and-answer interview takes the confusion out of tax forms, figures, and rules to bring you a simple tax preparation platform.

More Tax-Filing Tips:

* Head over to to file your federal taxes for free

* Check the daily deal sites… Groupon has offered up significantly reduced vouchers for online tax preparation products in the past and will likely have similar offers over the next few months.

* Check with your local college. One reader reported that the accounting students at her local college will do her tax returns for free and they are then reviewed by the professor to ensure that they are correct.

* AARP Foundation Tax-Aide offers free help for older taxpayers and people with limited incomes. Find an AARP Foundation Tax-Aide site in your community by clicking here.

* If you are in the military, check out Military One Source for more information about different resources that are available.

* If your family earned less than $52,000 in 2013, United Way’s VITA Program may be able to help you with free tax preparation. Starting February 1st, sites will be open across the country to help you with your taxes. For information & locations, dial 2-1-1 for United Way’s Helpline. 

Join the Discussion

Post Your Comment
  • Tim says:

    Also, be sure to check out Turbo Tax Freedom Edition! If you made less than $30k, or are active duty military who made less than $58k, or qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit, you can use this edition of Turbo Tax to do Federal AND State absolutely free! I finished mine in under one hour! :D

  • td says:

    happy to say that i just mailed my tax documents this morning! DONE!

  • shelaghc says:

    Another free option for low-income families and individuals is AARP’s tax filing services.
    In my area the services are provided at libraries.

    The service and filing is absolutely free and each time I’ve used them in the last three years they’ve managed to find more of a refund than I could have done on my own.

  • Maggie says:

    I would love to hear how couponers keep track of their charatable giving. I am always digging into my stock for food to donate to a pantry or scout food drive, school supplies to church and work drives, toiletries, as well as small monetary donations. There are some programs that don’t readily have a reciept book. I have a pile of reciepts that prove I gave a dollar here and there to special olympics, childrens miracle network and others that are a dollar add on to your pharmacy/grocery total. I am overwhelmed trying to remember what I gave to whom, and what it might be valued in order to deduct!

    • Melissa says:

      I am not an expert so this may not be accurate, but from what I have read if you have the receipts that show your donations to charitable organizations that are recognized as such by the IRS, then you can list them as deductions. But for the others such as donated cans of food or school supplies for which you don’t have a receipt, you can’t list those donations.

      • K says:

        You can deduct donations of items. You are allowed to deduct the fair market value of the item but you do need detailed receipts even if it is less than $3000.

      • Maggie says:

        I was under the impression that donations that total under $3,000 receipts aren’t required.

        • Tammy says:

          For any contribution of $250 or more (including contributions of cash or property), you must obtain and keep in your records a contemporaneous written acknowledgment from the qualified organization indicating the amount of the cash and a description of any property contributed. The acknowledgment must say whether the organization provided any goods or services in exchange for the gift and, if so, must provide a description and a good faith estimate of the value of those goods or services. IRS PUBLICATION 506

    • Shelly says:

      I would love some tips too! I struggle with this every year!

  • Christina says:

    Be careful with turbo tax. I always use them, but this year they tried to trick me into paying an extra fee, and it was very complicated to take the “optional” fee off of my bill.

  • Kitty says:

    I really liked TaxAct and definitely recommend it for beginners :) $17.99 to file for state

  • Jennifer says:

    Anyone ever do an amendment? Just wondering how difficult it is. I got a second form for student loan interest a week after I filed, so need to resubmit :p

    I’ve been using HR Block the last few years, but often will run it all through another program to double check it (just enter the info, but don’t actually submit it). So far I’ve not encountered any problems.

    Also check with your bank – I’ve seen several offering free/discounted tax software.

    When I used to have to file state taxes, I’d use a program like HR Block or TurboTax for federal, and my state had a free e-file program. May be worth checking if your state offers this.

  • sarah says:

    Free federal only right? Where’s a free state…. is what I need!!!

  • Emily says:

    Any tips for state taxes???

Comment Here:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Want your own personal icon next to your comment? Head over to

Related Posts