As most of you know, the Caribbean and Southeastern part of the United States (primarily Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and Virginia) were recently hit by Hurricane Matthew. In addition to killing over 1,000 people, many homes were completely destroyed by massive flooding and wind. As of October 10th, over 1 million home and businesses in the United States were still without power.
I have received quite a few emails from Hip2Save readers who were directly or indirectly affected by this hurricane and are asking that we all come together to provide assistance to those in need.
What can YOU do to help?
* Make a donation to Salvation Army by visiting this page or call 1-800-SAL-ARMY or text STORM to 51555. These donations go to the United States victims. If you want to help the Hurricane Matthew relief effort in Haiti, Bahamas, and other islands in the Caribbean head here or call 1-800-SAL-ARMY.
* Make a donation to the American Red Cross by visiting www.redcross.org, calling 1-800-HELPNOW or texting the word MATTHEW to 90999 to make a $10 donation. Note that Verizon will match customer text-to-donate contributions to American Red Cross relief efforts up to one million dollars. If you want to help the victims in the Caribbean countries affected by this storm, head here.
* Donate blood. The Red Cross is urging immediate blood and platelet donations to support the blood needs of those affected by Hurricane Matthew. Click here to make an appt.
* Make a donation to the Humane Society of the United States to help animals and families who evacuated their homes in the wake of Hurricane Matthew’s destruction.
* Make a donation to a local animal shelter via PetFinder.com.