This Hip2Save.com Deal was hand-posted on Thursday, April 17th, 2014 at 11:00 am.
UPDATE: The New York Times just released a new article entitled “General Mills Amends New Legal Policies” which states that the new legal policies do not apply to people who access the General Mills Facebook pages and Twitter accounts.
How many times a week do you “like” a brand on Facebook, sign up for a newsletter or enter a contest sponsored by a brand? If you’re like me, then your answer is probably 3-5 times or more per week!
What are your thoughts on these changes? Does this make you hesitant to participate in contests and/or to print coupons when you are required to agree to these types of legal terms?
(Thanks, Jill and Amanda!)
This Hip2Save.com Deal was hand-posted on Wednesday, April 16th, 2014 at 9:32 am.
Do you get tired of filling all those Easter Eggs with candy? Me too! Along with your help (thanks to all you Facebook fans who contributed to this post!), here are some other items you can use to fill those Easter Eggs.
30 Things to Hide in Easter Eggs Besides Candy
* Chuck E. Cheese coins
* Hair Bands/Hair Bows
* Play-doh Eggs (purchase at stores like Target and Walmart)
* Seeds to grow flowers in the Spring
* Mini Nail Polish
* Coupons for “fun” things to do together
* Little plastic dinosaurs and/or chicks
* Fruit snacks and yogurt covered raisins
* Bouncy Balls
* Mini Glow Sticks
* Small container of Bubbles
Do you have any additional ideas to add?
This Hip2Save.com Deal was hand-posted on Friday, April 11th, 2014 at 2:44 pm.
Heads-up for all you Hip2Savers who prefer natural and organic products! Walmart just announced that stores across the country will start carrying Wild Oats Organic Products later this month offering up everything from organic salsa and pasta sauce to quinoa and chicken broth (over 100 different items!). And according to Walmart, these Wild Oats Organic Products are 25% cheaper when compared to national brand organic products and so they have the potential to really cut down your grocery bill. See an example below and read the full article here.
What are your immediate thoughts? Are you brand loyal when it comes to organic products or do you make choices based on price? Does this announcement make you more likely to shop at Walmart if you don’t frequent Walmart now?
This Hip2Save.com Deal was hand-posted on Wednesday, April 9th, 2014 at 2:13 pm.
I received the email below from a reader and thought that all of you could offer her some great advice and encouragement!
What would YOU do in this situation?
This Hip2Save.com Deal was hand-posted on Tuesday, April 8th, 2014 at 1:41 pm.
Still needing to file your taxes? As you know, Tax Day (April 15th, 2014) is only 1 week away! So here’s a round up of a few current tax filing options that you may want to take advantage of. Also feel free to share any tips that you may have learned throughout the years!
* Head on over here where you can file completely FREE with H&R Block that also now includes FREE live tax advice. It is FREE to prepare, FREE to print, FREE to e-file, includes FREE live tax advice, FREE audit support, representation from an enrolled agent, and 100% Accuracy Guarantee and Maximum Refund Guarantee. Plus 1 FREE federal e-file is included. And, they have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau!
* Head over here to sign up for a FREE Federal edition of Turbo Tax (you’ll be able to prepare, print and electronically file your federal tax return for free). Plus, they’re rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau! Or if you prefer, head here to save $10 on Turbo Tax Deluxe, $15 on TurboTax Premier and $20 on TurboTax Home & Business (these savings offers expire 2/21/14).
* Consider using FreeTaxUSA.com (Rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau!) to e-file directly to the IRS completely FREE. You can choose to do a FREE Federal e-file OR score the Deluxe Edition for $5.95. This site has also been highly recommended by Hip2Save readers in the past!
* Head over here to sign up for a FREE Federal edition of TaxACT (you’ll be able to prepare, print and electronically file your federal tax return for free). Plus, they’re rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau!
* You may also consider using e-Smart Tax by Liberty Tax to e-file completely free. E-Smart Tax technology ensures you get your highest possible refund as well as simple step-by-step Q&A preparation, Zero hidden fees, Online or in-person help with more than 4,000 Liberty Tax offices open year round and more!
* Another option is you can head on over to FreeTax.com where you can get your taxes done completely FREE! DIY Tax’s easy question-and-answer interview takes the confusion out of tax forms, figures, and rules to bring you a simple tax preparation platform.
This Hip2Save.com Deal was hand-posted on Monday, April 7th, 2014 at 10:54 am.
Have you noticed that you are buying less basic items like toothpaste, cereal, laundry detergent and razors? Are you opting to purchase store brands over name brands?
According to an article in The Wall Street Journal entitled “Discounts Are Piled On as Americans Buy Fewer Basics,” shoppers are purchasing less packaged goods, less laundry detergent (maybe due to higher-efficiency machines requiring less detergent), less soda, less toothpaste and less household products in general compared to year’s past.
To combat this decrease in consumer spending, companies like Procter & Gamble Co., Georgia Pacific Corp., and Henkel AG have been offering up some awesome deals and coupons – remember all the fantastic Purex deals that you could score at the drugstores last month and the different gift card promotions that have been offered at Target when you buy select household items). All of these coupons and special offers are attempts to get Americans to increase their spending habits in these categories.
So how about YOU? Do you find this article to be true when it comes to your own spending habits?
(Thanks to Sherry for passing along this article!)
This Hip2Save.com Deal was hand-posted on Thursday, April 3rd, 2014 at 10:45 am.
Have you ever wondered how much to tip when purchasing food to-go, getting a hair cut for yourself and/or your kiddos, receiving assistance with baggage at a hotel, getting a massage, paying a housekeeper, etc.!? Although I almost always tip at least 20% when dining out, I am sometimes a little more perplexed as to what to tip in those situations.
After doing a little online research, I discovered this helpful Guide to Gratuity Etiquette: How to Be a Total Tipster created by Mint.com that goes over what tip amount you should be giving for various services, such as spa services, bartenders, cleaning services, postal carriers, and more. Check out some of their helpful tips:
I also found an interesting chart published by Marketplace.org that shows the tipping habits of people across the United States. Included in this chart is a State by State glance at the average tip for a $20 Sit-Down Meal, Takeout, Haircut, Cab Ride, Coffee Shop, and more (did you know that New Hampshire is ranked as giving the highest average tip for a $20 sit-down meal!?)!
So take some time to check out this Guide and also the tipping habits across the U.S. and then come back and share your thoughts. Think about the following questions: What services do you believe require a tip, how much do you tip, do you tip even if the service is horrible etc?
This Hip2Save.com Deal was hand-posted on Wednesday, April 2nd, 2014 at 12:53 pm.
I have posted about this fun, family activity previously on Hip2Save and thought that it was worth re-posting for all you new readers! One of my favorite family activities is to pack a picnic and head for the park (not very creative but usually lots of fun!). However, if you want to embark on a unique (and FREE!) family activity, you may want to consider geocaching.
What is geocaching you ask?! Geocaching is a FREE real-world outdoor treasure hunt where players (young and old!) try to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, using a smartphone or GPS. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online.
In recent years, my kids, hubby, and I had the opportunity to go geocaching and it was a ton of fun! We found a geocache that was hidden about 25 miles from our home so we all piled into the car with our GPS system in hand and headed that direction. Once we were within walking distance of our “hidden treasure”, the kids jumped out of the car and used the GPS device to find the geocache. It took about 30 minutes of avid searching to finally discover the geocache cleverly placed underneath a pile of rocks. The kids were so excited to open the geocache and fill out the logbook (i.e. a tiny notebook) with their names, ages, and date that they located the geocache (it was really cool to look back in the logbook and see that this same geocache had existed for the past 5+ years). They then were able to choose a special “treasure” from inside the geocache (i.e. a small plastic dinosaur) and they also left a “treasure” of their own (a plastic spider) for the next person. All in all, we had a great day on our geocaching trip and spent nothing out of pocket other than the gas… it was well worth it!
Check out this cool video below which explains even more about geocaching…
Do you want to go geocaching? Here’s what you need to do…
* Head over here to register for a FREE Basic Membership.
* Click “Hide & Seek a Cache.”
* Enter your zip code and click “search.”
* Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.
* Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device or in the smartphone app.
* Use your GPS device or smartphone to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.
* Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.
* Share your geocaching stories and photos online.
Have you been geocaching? If so, did you enjoy the experience? Let us know!
This Hip2Save.com Deal was hand-posted on Tuesday, April 1st, 2014 at 10:55 am.
Calling all you moms and moms-to-be (and dads, grandparents etc)! I posted this question last year on Hip2Save and received over 200 helpful comments… so I thought it would be worth reposting again, especially since all of my kiddos are out of diapers and I don’t regularly purchase baby items (except for when I want to spoil my adorable niece Charlie :) ). SO, if you have a baby or toddler, please help new Hip2Save mommies/daddies by sharing YOUR stock-up prices and any other money-saving tips/advice that you can offer a first-time parent. I would also love for you to suggest your must-have baby items (i.e. for me, it was my Sling and a Bumbo Baby seat) and baby items that you may feel are totally unnecessary.
And congratulations to all the expectant Hip2Savers! :D
This Hip2Save.com Deal was hand-posted on Thursday, March 27th, 2014 at 3:47 pm.
If you have been following Hip2Save for any length of time, you likely know how much I love April Fool’s Day! It is literally one of my most favorite days since it’s typically filled with lots of laughs, smiles, and just pure, silly fun… it makes me feel like a kid again! With that being said, I’d love to hear your fun April Fool’s pranks, jokes or tips that you may have in mind for this year (as always, please keep them family friendly).
Stay tuned for an upcoming, fun April Fool’s Day…no joke! ;)