Reader Tips & Picks
This Hip2Save.com Deal was hand-posted on Tuesday, April 1st, 2014 at 10:55 am.
Calling all you moms and moms-to-be (and dads, grandparents etc)! I posted this question last year on Hip2Save and received over 200 helpful comments… so I thought it would be worth reposting again, especially since all of my kiddos are out of diapers and I don’t regularly purchase baby items (except for when I want to spoil my adorable niece Charlie :) ). SO, if you have a baby or toddler, please help new Hip2Save mommies/daddies by sharing YOUR stock-up prices and any other money-saving tips/advice that you can offer a first-time parent. I would also love for you to suggest your must-have baby items (i.e. for me, it was my Sling and a Bumbo Baby seat) and baby items that you may feel are totally unnecessary.
And congratulations to all the expectant Hip2Savers! :D
This Hip2Save.com Deal was hand-posted on Thursday, March 27th, 2014 at 3:47 pm.
If you have been following Hip2Save for any length of time, you likely know how much I love April Fool’s Day! It is literally one of my most favorite days since it’s typically filled with lots of laughs, smiles, and just pure, silly fun… it makes me feel like a kid again! With that being said, I’d love to hear your fun April Fool’s pranks, jokes or tips that you may have in mind for this year (as always, please keep them family friendly).
Stay tuned for an upcoming, fun April Fool’s Day…no joke! ;)
This Hip2Save.com Deal was hand-posted on Thursday, March 20th, 2014 at 12:44 pm.
If you’re looking for ways to save on printer ink (from printing all those coupons ;-) ), here’s a few helpful tips for ya…
Inkjet Versus Laser Printer:
Many of you have stated that the longest lasting, most reliable, and most affordable (in the long run) printers are laser printers! Although laser printers may cost more initially, they tend to be faster, use less ink, and are much cheaper on a month to month basis (i.e. cost of inkjet cartridges versus laser toner cartridges).
Helping You Find the BEST Printer:
Continuous Flow System:
Already have an inkjet printer? Then you may want to consider a Continuous Flow System. This system will help you save big bucks on printer ink as it eliminates the need for replacement ink cartridges. For more information on this economical system, click here.
Best Places to Purchase Ink:
Readers tips on how to Save Money on Ink and Paper:
* I bought a Brother Laser when it was on sale at one of the office stores. I used the black tape trick (YouTube video shows you how) and have had printer for over 2 years and just now replaced the toner it came with. This is with my major coupon printing and my husband printing college work. I also do the Office Max rewards program and get the cases of paper for pennies after rewards every time it is offered. (Head here to see how you can score FREE paper at Staples this week!)
* I set it to “Toner Save Print Mode” right away. Also, I “tricked” my toner after I got a warning message to replace it and got additional months of life. I am unable to “tape” my toners as it doesn’t have a window to cover. Instead, it has a slow rotating gear on the side of the cartridge and this gear can be easily reset by turning it backwards manually. There are tons of videos on youtube, explaining it.
* One tip that I have is that I enable a Print Preview for each document. It makes the printing process longer, but I can tell if a coupon is printing at the top, middle, or bottom of the page. That way I can use half sheets if a coupon is printing from the top.
* For the one-page ads with a single coupon on the page, I cut my paper into 4’ sections. That way the coupon prints at the top and then stops. Of course, sometimes you get a coupon that prints at the bottom. I try to only use the cut paper on coupons that I know will print at the top. If I am printing a coupon and I see that there is an ad below it, once the coupon prints, I hit STOP on my printer.
* The trick to making your ink last longer is to set your printer to print in grayscale, black ink only, and to print in Fast Draft mode. I have my cartridges refilled at Walgreens. Before I take a cartridge to the store, however, I use a little rubbing alcohol on the ports of the cartridge to prevent dry ink from clogging the ports (where the ink is inserted). Works like a charm.
* Use Garamond font in a small size…it takes less ink than other fonts.
* If you decide to refill your cartridges, get the refill done ASAP. If you wait too long, the remaining ink dries out.
* Refill your own cartridges (buy the ink in bulk at a discount!), which saves a LOT of money.
* For anyone out there who has toner cartridges, when the printer states that the toner is low, take the cartridge out and look for a little “window” on the side. Cover it with a piece of black electrical tape, and you’ll get MANY more pages of ink out of it. The window lets light in and tells the owner to buy a new cartridge but, in reality, there is still plenty of toner in the cartridge.
What are some ways you save on printer ink? Please Share!
Keep in mind that if you want to easily access this post in the future, be sure to save it to your Hip List. You can also access it (and other reader tips) by clicking on the orange “Show All Categories” button on the right sidebar and then clicking on “Reader Tips.”
This Hip2Save.com Deal was hand-posted on Thursday, March 6th, 2014 at 2:28 pm.
As you may know, working from home can be a great way to earn some extra cash. Over the years, I’ve received quite a few emails from Hip2Save readers asking for ways to make money from home… SO, I’ve created a HUGE list of various work-from-home opportunities (categorized with links to make it a little easier to view). I hope you find this helpful! :D
** Please note that I do not have experience with some of these companies, so I cannot endorse whether or not they are worth looking into further. Make sure to take the time to research the jobs you are interested in to see if they are the right fit for you.
(To see the long list of Work Opportunities, click the link below “Read More / Post Your Comments”.)
Read More / Post Your Comments »
This Hip2Save.com Deal was hand-posted on Wednesday, March 5th, 2014 at 3:45 pm.
Check out this email I recently received from Hip2Save reader Natasha -
Now it’s your turn. Please share your tips for creating a baby shower gift that is cute, practical, AND affordable! Also, feel free to share any other baby-related tips you might have!
And, if you’re expecting a little one soon or know of someone who is, you may also be interested in checking out the following post and reading through all of the helpful comments that were left – What are YOUR Price Points for Baby Items? Plus, don’t forget about the Baby Freebies & Deals Round-Up I posted last month!
This Hip2Save.com Deal was hand-posted on Thursday, February 6th, 2014 at 10:51 am.
If you regularly fill prescriptions or purchase over-the-counter drugs, then check out this email and helpful tip I received from reader, Briana….
If you’re interested, then head on over here and select if you are a pharmacist or patient to get started (you’ll be able to view prescription and over-the-counter product information). Then, simply answer the questions to which type of health problem you are having (such as allergy, pain, inflammation, diabetes and much more)! You will then be directed to sites in which they sell these products, possible coupons or discounts, and helpful information on that particular product!
Do you have any other tips related to saving on prescription and over-the-counter drugs? If so, please share in the comments below!
This Hip2Save.com Deal was hand-posted on Wednesday, February 5th, 2014 at 3:27 pm.
Check out this tip from Hip2Save reader, Michele…
I didn’t know this was available, so figured others might not either. I own a Summer Infant Video Monitor. I’ve had issues with the first one I purchased & they’ve displayed some really good customer service in the past troubleshooting my unit & sending me parts & then eventually a replacement unit. Unfortunately, they only have a one year warranty on their monitor now, but what I also learned is that they have a customer loyalty buying program. When you call their 1-800# for customer service, you can purchase monitors at a very good discount. I just purchased their dual-view monitor from them for $100 less than Amazon and Target had it priced. I don’t even think they charged me shipping! I guess if you’ve never called to complain, you’d never know they offer this.
Have you ever taken advantage of a Customer Loyalty Program offer from a company? Please share!
This Hip2Save.com Deal was hand-posted on Sunday, January 26th, 2014 at 8:19 am.
And, if you’re looking for “hip” tips on how to plan a budget-friendly wedding, check out the helpful tips in this guest post. Or maybe you’re needing advice on how to buy a wedding ring without breaking the bank, then be sure to check out this guest post and comments! And, finally, this guest post will give you all sorts of tips on how to get the most out of wedding registries!
(Thanks, Freebies for a Cause!)
This Hip2Save.com Deal was hand-posted on Tuesday, January 21st, 2014 at 11:22 am.
If you regularly fill prescriptions and are wondering what store offers the best price to get it filled, check out this email and helpful tip I received from reader, Sarah….
To compare pharmacy prices nearest you, just head over here, enter the prescription drug name that you or your family needs and your location, and then click “Find the Lowest Price”. You will then be directed to a page that will inform you on where you can purchase this specific drug at the cheapest price nearest you! You’ll also be able to find pharmacy coupons, manufacturer discounts, generics, comparable drug choices, and savings tips! Awesome!
You can also download the GoodRx App on your iPhone or Android smartphone to get prices and coupons while you’re on-the-go. Plus, get a GoodRx discount card for FREE that can be used for discounts of up to 80% on most prescription drugs at most U.S. pharmacies. You can use it for every member of your family (even pets!) and there are no quantity limits or hidden fees!
Do you have any other tips related to saving on prescription drugs? If so, please share in the comments below!
This Hip2Save.com Deal was hand-posted on Thursday, December 19th, 2013 at 2:10 pm.
I received this email from Hip2Save, reader, Lisa, and thought that it would make for a good discussion…
I was wondering if anyone else has this problem. How many gifts do you give your kids for Christmas? My husband thinks I give our kids too much. I give them about 15 each from us and they get big stuff from Santa. I also give about 6 gifts to the whole family like games. Do you think this is too much? I don’t want to spoil my kids with stuff, but I want them to have a great Christmas!
What are your thoughts on this topic? How much is too much when giving to children or adults for that matter?