Tortillas, Tortillas, Tortillas!!
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
This is a Sponsored Post written by me on behalf of Mission Foods. All opinions are 100% mine.
Remember the post from last week called “How do You Pack a Hip Lunch?” Many of you that left one of the 300+ comments suggested using tortillas as an alternative to the standard PB& J sandwich. Like you, I love the fact that tortillas take the predictability out of an everyday sandwich for kids AND enable you to create sandwiches of any shape or size with cookie cutters. Plus, they are budget-friendly, contain 0 grams Trans fat per serving and are cholesterol free, and are perfect for every meal: breakfast, lunch or dinner! Check out some of the ways that Hip2Save readers suggested to use tortillas…
* Buy roast chicken from Costco and make sandwiches on a whole wheat flour tortilla.
* Tortillas with veggie cream cheese spread, turkey, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, and shredded carrots. Wrap them in saran wrap to keep it held together…they actually get better in the fridge with time, so make up a lot and keep them refrigerated for 2-3 days.
* Make a breakfast burrito: Scramble 2 egg whites & slice or two of turkey bacon with some shredded cheese that gets rolled in a wheat tortilla. Wrap it in alum. foil, then stick it in a warmed thermos.
* My daughter’s fave lunch is a tortilla with a small amount of 1000 island covered with grated cheese, spinach, and lunchmeat turkey.
* Make a pizzadillas…Use any kind of tortilla/wrap, turkey pepperoni, mozzarella cheese, small chopped veggies (i.e. green pepper and mushroom) and toast up like a normal quesadilla. Then send tomato sauce for dipping!
After reading all of the great lunch ideas, I had to share one of my all-time favorite recipes: Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Tortillas Chips which I discovered on AllRecipes.com. (I shared this same recipe on Hip2Save back in May when I highlighted some of my favorite salsa recipes; if you had a chance to try it out, let us know what you thought!) With all the fresh fruit available, this is the perfect time to make this delicious and healthy dish!
* 2 kiwis, peeled and diced
* 2 Golden Delicious apples – peeled, cored and diced
* 8 ounces raspberries
* 1 pound strawberries
* 2 tablespoons white sugar
* 1 tablespoon brown sugar
* 3 tablespoons fruit preserves, any flavor
* 10 (10 inch) Mission flour tortillas (Be sure to use the $0.75/1 coupon from the 8/1 SS)
* butter flavored cooking spray
* 2 cups cinnamon sugar
* In a large bowl, thoroughly mix kiwis, Golden Delicious apples, raspberries, strawberries, white sugar, brown sugar and fruit preserves. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes.
* Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
* Coat one side of each flour tortilla with butter flavored cooking spray. Cut into wedges and arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle wedges with desired amount of cinnamon sugar. Spray again with cooking spray.
* Bake in the preheated oven 8 to 10 minutes. Repeat with any remaining tortilla wedges. Allow to cool approximately 15 minutes. Serve with chilled fruit mixture.