TOP 12 Black Friday Shopping Tips
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Wow! The time is getting close. Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday are just around the corner and will be here before we know it! Black Friday shopping tends to be most successful when you are prepared – so check out my Shopping Tips below IF you plan to brave the stores and all the craziness that comes with Black Friday shopping.
My top 12 Black Friday shopping tips:
(1) Be prepared. Before you head out to the store, check out the Black Friday ads and outline exactly what you would like to purchase. And to be extra prepared, you can even research the layout of your store, so you’ll know exactly where to head to grab the items on your list.
(2) Be ready to stand in line for quite a long time. Wear comfy shoes and appropriate outerwear and consider leaving the kiddos at home (if this is not possible, bring toys or other items to keep them entertained while shopping). And don’t forget to keep yourself hydrated and fed. If you are planning to shop late at night or very early in the morning, research which restaurants will be open so you can plan to refuel!
(3) Know your store’s hours – some stores are opening on Thanksgiving night while others are waiting until the wee hours of Friday morning and some are even opting to stay closed on Black Friday! Stay tuned as I will be posting store-specific information in the coming days and weeks!
(4) Familiarize yourself with each store’s price matching and/or coupon policy. Keep in mind that many stores have created special price matching policies specific for Black Friday.
(5) Make a list! This will keep you focused and will definitely help to prevent you from being tempted to purchase additional items that are not on the list.
(6) Remember to ask yourself whether the great deal you see is actually a great deal for you. You may also want to research online prices versus in-store prices, as you can often snag better deals online even when you factor in shipping costs. Plus, think about the time and gas saved when shopping online! Love that!
(7) Keep those receipts! After the adrenaline rush is over, you may realize that you got caught up in the Black Friday craziness and purchased items that you really do not want. As long as you have the receipt, you should be able to return them and get a full refund.
(8) Go with your mom, sister, grandmother,friend etc. Plan ahead and plan to split up so you can snag items for each other. It’s the only way I’ve figured out to help you be in two places at once! If you don’t want to go to separate stores, you can each start out on separate ends of the same store and meet in the middle after you’ve snatched up as many of the things on your (and each other’s) lists as you could along the way.
(9) Gas up the night before so you don’t waste precious sleep OR shopping time at the pump. Also, map out your route based on store opening times to minimize backtracking and missing out on doorbuster items you’re planning to purchase.
(10) Don’t give up! If the item you are looking for is not on the shelf or display, check the front of the store where other shoppers may have left items they weren’t sure about before checking out. Or, check with your cashier to see if someone happened to change their mind at the register and leave the item you were looking for there.
(11) Be friendly to other customers and store associates. You will be amazed at how people will help each other, even in the craziness, if they are approached with kindness. One Hip2Save reader always takes candy with her when she shops and hands it out to those who have to work on Black Friday.
(12 ) And my favorite tip of all… skip Black Friday and wait for Cyber Monday instead! There is nothing better than snagging *HOT* deals from the comfort of your own home in your favorite PJ’s! 😀