Tax Filing Options & Tips
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
It’s that time of year again! 😐 As I mentioned previously, Tax Day (Monday, April 18th this year) will be here before you know it, so here’s a round-up of a few current tax filing and preparation packages that you may want to take advantage of. Also feel free to share your favorite method and any discounts or tips that you may know of!
Current Tax Filing Options (more added!):
* The Prepaid Visa RushCard is a card that is safe to use online and in stores everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted. Whenever you apply for a Prepaid Visa RushCard and direct deposit a total of $3,000 or more of your tax refund, you’ll get $30. Or, when you direct deposit between $2,000 and $2,999, you’ll get $20! Even sweeter, they’re offering ZERO fees to use now until February 29th! Plus, use a RushCard to file your 2015 refund and get it up to 2 weeks sooner through direct deposit.
* Get your refund as fast as possible with an e-filed return and direct deposit! E-file.com (rated B+ with the Better Business Bureau!) offers Free federal tax returns for those who qualify for a 1040ez. Plus, get Free online support! Go here for details.
* TurboTax is allowing users to file Federal (1040A or 1040 EZ) AND State tax returns completely FREE with the TurboTax Federal Free Edition. Plus, they’re offering 20% off TurboTax Online Federal products. To get started, head over here where you’ll be able to prepare, print and electronically file your Federal AND State tax returns for FREE! Plus, TurboTax is the #1 best selling tax software and is rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau!
* Head on over here where you can file completely FREE with H&R Block (and save 40% off other tax-preparation packages). It is FREE to prepare, FREE to print, FREE to e-file, includes FREE live tax advice, FREE in-person audit support, representation from an enrolled agent, and 100% Accuracy Guarantee and Maximum Refund Guarantee. And, they have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau!
* Consider using FreeTaxUSA.com (Rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau!) to e-file directly to the IRS completely FREE. You can choose to do a FREE Federal e-file OR score the Deluxe Edition for $5.95. This site has also been highly recommended by Hip2Save readers in the past!
* Head over here to sign up for a FREE Federal + FREE State edition of TaxACT (you’ll be able to prepare, print and electronically file your federal tax return for free). Plus, they’re rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau!
* You may also consider using e-Smart Tax by Liberty Tax to e-file completely free. E-Smart Tax technology ensures you get your highest possible refund as well as simple step-by-step Q&A preparation, Zero hidden fees, Online or in-person help with more than 4,000 Liberty Tax offices open year round and more!
More Tax-Filing Tips:
* Check the daily deal sites… Groupon has offered up significantly reduced vouchers for online tax preparation products in the past and will likely have similar offers over the next few months.
* Head over to IRS.gov to file your federal taxes for free
* Check with your local college. One reader reported that the accounting students at her local college will do her tax returns for free and they are then reviewed by the professor to ensure that they are correct.
* If you are in the military, check out Military One Source for more information about different resources that are available.
* AARP Foundation Tax-Aide offers free help for older taxpayers and people with limited incomes. Find an AARP Foundation Tax-Aide site in your community by clicking here.
* Families that earned less than $54,000 in 2015, persons with disabilities, the elderly and limited English speaking taxpayers may qualify for assistance through the VITA Program. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals. Find a VITA Volunteer site in your community by clicking here.