Swimming in Toys?! Here are Some NON-Toy Christmas Gift Ideas…
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
I can’t be the only one that feels like I’m swimming in toys these days, right?? They used to be contained in the playroom, but I reclaimed that area and I forced them all into bedrooms. Yet, I’ve somehow found myself tripping over toys in every room again.
This year, we’ll try to follow (as best we can) “The 4-Gift Rule for Kids”, because the idea of getting more toys in just a couple of months is terrifying to me! If you’re feeling overwhelmed too, check out this list of non-toy items that make great gifts…
- Memberships: We LOVE getting a new membership to the aviary, amusement parks, aquarium, children’s museum, or zoo!
- Magazine Subscriptions: National Geographic Kids, Highlights, Zoobooks, and ALL these other magazines make great gifts for kids!
- Subscription Boxes: Kiwi Crate, Loot Crate, Green Kids Crafts, World Book Junior Explorers, and Kid Stir are all great monthly subscription boxes for kids.
- Tickets to an Event: Movies, sporting events, symphonies, plays, ballet performances, dinner theater, concerts, circus, etc. My kids love anything that makes them feel special and grownup!
- Hobbies/Classes: Craft, dance, theater, horseback riding, pottery, art, musical instruments, cooking/baking, karate, gymnastics, etc.
- Kits: Magic Kit, Science Kit, Telescope/Astronomy Kit, Robotics Kit (we own and love this one! My kids took the “Boat Bot” to the pool multiple time this summer!)
- Pampering/Spa Kit: There are some cute Spa Kits out there, but you can also put one together yourself on the cheap at The Dollar Tree! A friend did this for a birthday party and sent them home as party favors. So cute!
- Books: My children each get a new book series every year for Christmas. Here are a few of our faves: Amelia Bedelia, Harry Potter, Captain Underpants, Percy Jackson, Ivy and Bean, Judy Moody, Ramona Quimby, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Fablehaven, The Mysterious Benedict Society, Magic Tree House, Artemis Fowl, Junie B. Jones, and Story Thieves – this is a newer series that I’m reading aloud with my kids, and we LOVE it! (PS- I’m open to ideas for this Christmas if you have a series I haven’t listed!)
- Camera and/or Photo Album: These popular new INSTAX Instant Cameras are so fun! My kiddos are each getting one along with a photo album.
- Wrist Watch: Maybe it’s just my kids, but they think that wrist watches are the coolest new retro-ish thing. Man, I feel old…
- Art Supplies
- Kid-Size Tools: Regular Tools, Garden Tools, and Cooking Tools are all very exciting to kids.
- Bedroom Makeover: A new bedding set or desk can give kids’ rooms a very personal touch. Making an art wall is a fun idea, too, if you have a little artist like I do.
Written by Danielle for Hip2Save. Danielle is a proud mom to 5 amazing kids in Utah, who lives for coffee and baking. She’s dedicated to balancing her own interests and passions, while encouraging her children to follow their own paths in life.