It’s Tax Time! Possibly File Online For FREE With H&R Block…

Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.

Do you qualify for FREE online tax filing? You might be surprised how many people do!

It’s tax season! Take a deep breath and stay calm – we’ve got FREE help for many of you! Through March 31st, head over to H&R Block where you can possibly file your taxes online for FREE!

This year more people than ever can file their taxes online for FREE with the H&R Block More Zero promotion – even if you own a home, make charitable donations and use itemized deductions,  you may qualify for the free tax filing!

If you file 1040EZ, 1040A, or 1040 with Schedule A you should definitely check out this offer!

It’s easy to get started!

H&R Block online has lots of great features that make it easy to get your taxes done, and you can even file completely from your phone. Just snap a picture of your W-2 with your phone or tablet and upload it to get started. AND – if you filed with a different tax prep service last year, it’s super easy to switch to H&R Block! Just drag and drop a PDF of last year’s return. Head here to get started.

H&R Block Tax Pros make sure you get the biggest refund!

There are lots of ways to file a tax return and H&R Block will help you get the largest refund. Don’t just get your taxes done – make sure you get them done AND get all the money you are owed. The online tax tools at H&R block help you determine the best way to file for your particular situation.

Use the FREE Refund Estimator Tool to get an idea of what your refund will be this year!

Before you file, head over here and enter some basic information to get an estimate of your 2017 tax return or find out how much you may possibly owe. This tool is free to use and helps you plan ahead, so you’ll know whether you are going to owe money or get a big refund this year.

This post is sponsored by H&R Block. While this is a sponsored opportunity, all content and opinions expressed here are my own. All tax situations are different.

Join The Discussion

Comments 34

  1. Michelle

    I have used Tax Act for the past several years with great success. We are scheduled to receive are refund TOMORROW!!! I love that I can import all the info from years past so it took me less than an hour to file… it cost $25 for federal… hth

    • Sarah

      Love TaxAct…

    • Sarah

      O and TaxAct is free for military.

    • K

      Lucky. Still waiting on hubby’s w-2’s 😒

  2. Hilary

    I used Credit Karma to file for free, both federal and state returns. If you have done your taxes for years, especially using a program like TurboTax, Tax ACT or H&R Block, and you are filing a pretty simple return, I really recommend you look into Credit Karma. The only difference I noticed between it and Tax ACT is that there is more information and more help options with Tax ACT.

    • Sarah

      I agree. We used credit karma last year and it was very easy, accurate and free! No more buying turbo tax.

    • Colleen

      Totally second this. I just filed our federal return this morning and it took no time at all using Credit Karma. Great program and totally free!

    • K

      I started using credit karma last year and I love it. I’ve used tax act and turbo tax before. Credit karma is free, even for more complicated returns (we have rental properties), which is why we switched. I’m pretty adept at tax stuff so it’s not a big deal that there’s not a ton of info available.

  3. Tracy

    Can you guys share any tips to file tax return to get a biggest return?

    • Kay

      I second this comment Tracy! 👍🏾

    • Kim

      Majority of us will be using the tax deductions for our income bracket. That’s the best option for majority of people. Answer all of the questions correctly and that’s all you can do. The software guides you through everything.

  4. Leah

    Don’t forget if you’re military to go through military one source. I file with H&R Block premium for free!

    • Kim

      If you made less than $65,000 go through united way to H&R Block and everything is completely free. My husband is a veteran and it’s onky free for active duty and doing freelance is “small business” which is usually very expensive to file.

      • Peggy

        Kim, how do you go through United Way? I checked their website and didn’t find anything. Do I have to go to their office in person?

        • Peggy

          I found it. Thank you Google. I just filed mine using this site. Incredible. I wasn’t able to import last year’s refund though. Otherwise, phenomenal experience.

      • Freckle53

        Yes, can you point out how to get to that offer? I do a schedule CEZ for some seasonal data entry work I do. It’s under $600 so no 1099, but I still claim it as income because I’d otherwise be too paranoid I’d get busted to tax evasion. Lol

  5. Casey

    I second tax act. I use it every year with no problems.

  6. Kay

    Has anyone who suggested Tax Act ever filed with Turbo Tax? I am wondering the differences between the two options? Thank you in advance!

    • Kim

      No but I will say turbo tax took away all the free options this year that people already said tax act does for free (and turbo tax did too for 8 years). No more importing information or driving Uber included. Free though united way and H and R block so easy too. But I would not recommend turbo tax after using them for 8 years.

      • Kay

        Thank you for that information Kim!

      • Freckle53

        I knew I used TT last year and got schedule CEZ for free, but most aren’t including it anymore!

      • Brandon

        Turbo tax has a free options. It is listed on their website

  7. Leslie

    I am guessing there will be a fee to print your return or view it. Nothing is ever free.

    • K

      Not with credit karma. I was able to save and print it. No fees

  8. Freckle53

    Found the free United Way link. Supports multiple states, business income or investment income.

  9. dana

    I did my 18 yr old daughter’s thru H&R last night. Completely free!

  10. Brandon

    I got a greater refund last year using Turbo tax. I typed in the same info for both but credit karma missed calculated some hsa funds.

    • Gigi

      In Credit karma, you have to put that hsa info in a different place, that is why you didn’t get the same refund amount as turbo tax. Credit karma is a little more difficult to navigate. And you have to upgrade to use turbo tax for the hsa. I usually go through It imports data from last year, hsa info, and some gambling winnings all for free. Turbo tax and h$r block charges you for all that.

      • Gigi

        But what I don’t like in freetaxusa is that I have to pay for the state return. But I go through my state’s website and do my state return for free. Requires more work but if I don’t have to pay, then great!

  11. Laura M

    Go to the IRS site! It has a listing of sites that enable your to file for free if you meet certain requirements. (Under 65,000 or military).
    I went through H&R block and because I had one unusual schedule, my Federal and State was going to be $80.

    I went through the IRS link and the Federal AND State returns were free.

    Here’s the link:

  12. Sara

    I will likely never qualify for free filing since I only have 1099 income(R and INT). I also don’t think an online program designed for millions will be able to handle my situation. I get a pension. At the time I was approved for the program, I was one of only three people qualified under a certain provision. The terms of the provision have gotten more restrictive since then. It is such a rarely used provision that I doubt any product has been programmed to calculate my state taxes properly. I would really appreciate if someone can prove me wrong.

    • Leslie

      Sara, go to AARP and get your taxes filed. I volunteer there and we 100% quality review every return. Believe it or not, because of this, it is better than going to a paid preparer. They run out of the libraries and do them for free. The IRS manages the program and we are required to pass tests and attend training each year.

  13. sharon

    I have used several different ones to do my adult kids over the years. Even when my daughter was overseas I was able to do it myself which comes with different rules since making money in another country. I just did my own with H&R last night. It was free to efile and print. last year I remember trying 2 different ones and taxact was a larger refund for my son. I cannot remember what the other site I used was. kinda a pain plugging in all the info several times, but it helped him out.

  14. Felicia

    I entered all my info into TurboTax. They are who I’ve used the past few years. Now I’m trying to enter my info into credit karma and tax act and they both freeze shortly after I start. Anyone else having this problem? Are they just being overloaded with ppl trying to file right now or something?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

It's not your Grandma's coupon site!

Sign up for a Hip2Save account (it's free) to access all of the awesome features!

Forgot Password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot Password

Don't have an account? Register

Become a Hip2Save Insider

Don't Miss Out! Join our large community of insiders - it's totally free! Once you join, you'll be able to save & share your favorite deals, rate posts and recipes and add items to your HipList and Cookbook! What are ya waiting for?!

Already have an account? Login

Become a Hip2Save Insider

Don't Miss Out! Join our large community of insiders - it's totally free! Once you join, you'll be able to save & share your favorite deals, rate posts and recipes and add items to your HipList and Cookbook! What are ya waiting for?!

Already have an account? Login

Thank you for rating!

Would you also like to leave us a comment?