I’m In a Relationship with MoviePass…
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Hi there Hipsters, It’s Angela, one of Collin’s Sidekicks here in Atlanta, GA!👩🏻💻
I have a confession to make… I’m in a relationship with MoviePass, and it’s NOT complicated (can I change my FB status to that?).
We’ve posted a few MoviePass deals over the past few months; however, I’ve had mine for a while and pay just $9.99 a month as part of an earlier offer. Even at the higher prices offered now, it’s worth EVERY. SINGLE. PENNY!
What is MoviePass?
Movie Pass is super simple to use. You can see one movie at a participating theater each and every single day of the year. Even if I see just two movies a month, the cost of the program more than pays for itself, since my local theaters charge $12-$15 per ticket.
Update: MoviePass has recently updated their TOS, and sadly you can now only see each movie one time.😩
Even better, if you really like a movie, and you want to see it again… and again… and again, your new BFF MoviePass won’t judge you. Confession: I may or may not have seen The Greatest Showman one, two, three, or FIVE times in theaters (that Hugh Jackman tho 😍).
Side note – I have NEVER (before MoviePass) seen a movie more than twice in theaters. I blame my teenage daughter and her friends for wanting to go a bunch. I just had to be a good Mom and chaperone, right? 😇 And if you haven’t seen it while it’s still in theaters, you can stream it on Digital now and own it on DVD April 10th.
How does MoviePass work?
After you’ve signed up, you’ll receive your MoviePass in the mail within a couple of weeks. You then activate your pass and you’re good to go (it looks and works like a debit card when you purchase a ticket)!
Head to your participating theater and open up the app (you must be within 100 yards of the theater in order to check in). After you’ve chosen the movie you would like to see, you have 30 minutes to purchase your ticket at the box office. You can buy tickets for later in the day as long as you do it within the 30-minute window.
Hip Tip: If you plan to go during busy times (such as the weekend), or plan to see a new release, go early in the day to grab your tickets before they sell out.
Combine MoviePass with loyalty cards to cash in on concessions and more…
I typically go to Regal theaters and just recently hit Diamond Level (this means every time I see a movie I earn 1,000 bonus points on top of the points I earn for the ticket and concessions). These points add up fast, and you can cash them in for FREE movie tickets for the kiddos, movie merchandise, or free popcorn and sodas.
*AMC Stubs usage with MoviePass may be limited in your area.
What should you know if you’re considering a MoviePass subscription?
- MoviePass claims to work at over 91% of current movie theaters – I’ve found this to be true! Type in your zip code for the closest theater near you.
- You must be 18 or older to use MoviePass. Sadly there are currently no options for families or for the kiddos. Word on the street is there will be something soon.
- ALWAYS buy your MoviePass ticket separate from other tickets you plan to purchase; otherwise, you risk the chance of account cancellation due to split tender. If you and another family member have a MoviePass, be sure to buy your tickets separately as well (even if your theater tells you that you don’t need to do that like mine does).
- Love 3D or IMAX Movies? MoviePass is not for you! You can only see standard movies – aka non-3D or IMAX. This may be a deal breaker for some, but not for me. I’m not a fan of 3D movies.
- Save your ticket stub. Some members are now required to submit a photo of their movie ticket in the app after purchase. This is currently being beta tested as they work to fight system fraud.
While MoviePass isn’t paying me to write this (I really L.O.V.E. my MoviePass and think it’s a no-brainer), if you work for MoviePass and want to give me a free one, then holla at your girl! 🙋🏻♀️
Or, more importantly, if you’re Hugh Jackman, and you’re reading this, please call me…770-65-…😍📱As you can see above, we look really good together.