DIY Hanging Treat Bag Advent Calendar
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Here’s an easy homemade advent calendar idea!
Try making this simple and inexpensive DIY advent calendar by hanging little treat sacks with small clothespins! Each day during December your family can look forward to opening a different little sack. Fill bags with small toys, party favors, stickers, treats, written messages, or even acts of kindness.
Advent calendars are such a fun tradition, and this DIY turned out so cute!
Simple craft supplies
First, you’ll need a few inexpensive craft supplies for this project. My small clothespins and paper treat bags are from Michaels and come in a variety of patterns and colors. The Christmas numbered Recollections brand gift tags can be found in-store at Michaels. If you can’t find them, blank gift tags will work, too. Simply write each number out instead. I was able to purchase what I needed for around $15!
Here’s how I made mine…
I used a piece of scrap wood (a piece of beadboard that I already had in the garage). I painted it with a fresh coat of white paint for this project, then I glued the clothespins to the board. If you like this beadboard look, pick up a piece and have it cut to size at the hardware store, or even use a different wood – it’s up to you!
The bottom and top pieces of trim are thin pieces of poplar hobby board from the hardware store that I stained and glued to my board using Liquid Nails. I think it gives a more finished look but is definitively optional.
Then, I just hung each bag and numbered tag to the board. The best part is I can re-use this advent calendar next year! So fun. I plan on leaning this against the wall in my kitchen next to my Christmas Tree or on my mantel, but you can add a picture hanger to the back and hang it up, too.
DIY Hanging Treat Treat Bag Advent Calendar
- 24 small paper treat bags
- 24 gift tags (numbered)
- 24 clothespins
- hot glue gun & glue
- 34-inch x 24-inch wood board, painted
- 2 pieces 2 ft x 1.5 ft. poplar hobby board, stained
- Liquid Nails
- Prep wood board with paint and trim pieces with stain as desired. Glue trim to top and bottom using Liquid Nails. Let dry.
- Measure out 4 rows of 6 treat bags and attach clothespins using hot glue. I used a T Square tool as a guide to make sure I was placing clothespins evenly and straight, but a ruler would work!
- Fold each bag and hang the numbered tag with clothespins.
- Fill each bag with desired goodies for each day in December. The contents don’t have to be expensive. In fact, maybe consider checking out the Dollar Tree for fun and inexpensive items or re-purpose Halloween candy if you have leftover.
This makes me so excited for Christmas! 🎄
I love how this advent calendar turned out, and I look forward to using it! I know it’s early in the holiday season, but it’s nice to plan ahead for things like an advent calendar so you can start thinking about making one now instead of mid-December! Ha. In fact, check out the Mini Muffin Pan Advent Calendar I put together last year. That was a fun one, too!
Written by Lina for Hip2Save. Lina is a proud mom of 2 kids who loves photography, all holidays, cooking, thrift store makeovers, bargain shopping, and DIY makeovers. Her goal is to create a beautiful life and stylish home on a dime! To see all of Lina’s DIY/Crafts created just for Hip2Save, click here.