The Best Games You Oughtta Be Playing Right Now
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Make it a game night!
Board games and card games are such a fun and frugal source of entertainment for the whole family – and they make great gifts, too! But finding ways to save money when buying games is even better, right?!
- If at all possible, play games several times before you purchase them. That way you’ll know that it will get played and not just take up space in your game closet.
- Check your local thrift store, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc. for used games before paying full price. That way if the kids get bored with it after a few plays, you won’t have forked out a ton of money on it.
- As with the tip above, also scout out your local garage and rummage sales, too!
- Make your own version of a game. You may be able to recreate a game with items you already have on hand (dice, a deck of cards, paper, pencils, timer, etc). Plus, you can often find the game manuals online or on the manufacturer’s website.
- Shop the sales with coupons! Often Target has game sales, such as $10 off $50 or $25 off $100 purchase in games, etc. – which make for sweet deals when paired with possible coupons or Cartwheel offers. Also, Amazon and Walmart often have game sales too!
Now, if you’re looking to add to your game collection or just want to change up your family game night, here are some fun and popular games for all ages – and some of our favorites, too!
Best Kids Games:
- Roll & Play (intended for toddlers)
- Spot It! (ages 7 and up)
- Yeti in my Spaghetti (ages 4 and up)
- Zingo! (ages 4 and up)
- Go Nuts for Donuts (ages 8 and up)
“I recommend the Yeti in Spaghetti game. Got it for my kids last Christmas and they still play it! My 1.5 year old just loves the game! My older kids 9, 7, 6 play it, too! So simple but fun!” – Hip2Save reader, A mommy
Best Strategy Games:
- Carcassonne (ages 8 and up)
- Catan (ages 8 and up)
- Pandemic (ages 8 and up)
- PENTE (ages 8 and up)
- Rummikub (ages 8 and up)
- Sequence (ages 7 and up)
- Ticket to Ride (ages 8 and up)
“We picked up Ticket to Ride for our 8 & 10 year olds last Christmas. It was worth the $ and has been played a lot! Its a great learning game for geography and strategy!” – Hip2Save reader, Jane
Best Party/Group Games:
- 5 Second Rule
- Apples to Apples
- Catch Phrase
- One Night Ultimate Werewolf
- Watch Ya’ Mouth
- Wits & Wagers
“Didn’t know what to expect when I got Codenames, but glad I did! This game is easy to learn for all ages! This has replaced my urge and love for Taboo. The game is much more cooperative and more strategic!” – Anonymous
Best Family Games:
“I ordered Double Ditto due to a Hip2Save post around Christmastime. My family loves this game, it is so much fun to predict what your kiddos will say. Every time we have game night, my eight-year-old always wants to play this one! I highly recommend this game!” – Hip2Save reader