Want to give the most valuable gift of all?
Time is possibly the most thoughtful gift someone could ever give! Here’s a fun way to pledge time well spent as an incredible gift! ❤️ Consider making an experience box filled with 12 fun ideas and activities to spend time with your kids or grandkids.
Each month of the year, the recipient can look forward to picking a card that will reveal a different idea (or two) on it. Make sure to keep each card in a sealed envelope to keep the surprise going throughout the year!
This can also become a family bucket list for the new year!
Need Ideas? Here are a few activities for inspiration:
- Hiking, camping, fishing, or anything outdoors.
- Family date nights: movies, bowling, restaurants, etc.
- Go to the beach and build a sand castle.
- Learn something new like a cooking lesson, music lesson, or pottery class.
- Visit a local museum of their choice.
- Host a lemonade stand in the summer.
- Visit your local escape room.
- Volunteer at a local charity.
- Go putt-putt golfing.
- Attend a baseball game or other local sporting event.
- Have a pizza night and make everything from scratch.
- Have a pajama party, watch movies, and eat ice cream for dinner!
- Painting night! Everyone gets a canvas and creates a masterpiece!
Personalize it all for your family and budget.
My plan is to say YES to something I normally say no to! For instance, my kids have been begging me to go to a local Escape Room activity where you have to solve your way out of it as a group. I’ve been saying I’m too busy, so I know they’d love it if we did that as a family. Disconnecting and simply being with my family is my favorite, and it brings me the greatest joy.
Making your box of ideas is easy!
You can re-use and decorate a box, or pick one up at a store. Mine is a gift box found at TjMaxx. Simply gather some paper and write out twelve fun ideas, one for each month. Stick them in small envelopes with each month labeled and file them in the box. I re-purposed the envelopes from a box of small thank you notes, and wrote on scrapbook paper. This can be as fancy or as simple as you’d like.
I love this special gift idea!
Make spending time as a family the best gift! I love giving experiences instead of material items, and this is a great way to incorporate that into holiday gift giving.
Also, I think this would be a nice gift to make specifically for your spouse and come up with some fun and unique date night ideas throughout the year. How thoughtful would that be?!
Written by Lina for Hip2Save. Lina is a proud mom of 2 kids who loves photography, all holidays, cooking, thrift store makeovers, bargain shopping, and DIY makeovers. Her goal is to create a beautiful life and stylish home on a dime! To see all of Lina’s DIY/Crafts created just for Hip2Save, click here.