Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce
- 3 oz pancetta, chopped (or center cut bacon)
- 1 tbsp butter (or olive oil)
- 1/2 large white onion, minced
- 2 celery stalks (about 3/4 cup), finely chopped
- 2 carrots (about 3/4 cup), finely chopped
- 2 lb 95% lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 – 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 3 bay leaves
- salt and fresh pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup half & half cream
- chopped parsley to garnish
In a large skillet on the stove, sauté pancetta for about 5 minutes on med-high.
Add butter, celery, onions, carrots, and cook on medium-low heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add meat, season with salt and pepper and sauté until browned on med high heat.
Drain the fat then add wine; cook until it reduces down, about 3-4 minutes.
Put mixture in the slow cooker. Add the crushed tomatoes, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Stir, cover and cook on low for about 4-6 hours. I could only wait 4 hours and it was still amazing.
Before serving add half and half, parsley, and salt/pepper to taste. Serve over your favorite pasta. Garnish with a little more chopped parsley.