Simple Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Store Bought Flowers
A simple way to spruce up any space is with an arrangement of eye-catching flowers – but when they wilt too quickly, they become an eyesore. Reader Kristin has some easy and effective ways to keep bouquets looking fresh!
I LOVE fresh cut flowers! They make my home feel so warm and welcoming. But if you don’t take care of them, it can be a real spendy habit. I use to just unwrap them, dump the packet in the vase, and leave them be. Usually, they wouldn’t even make it a week, but my mom, who is a florist, taught me a few tricks to keep those fresh cut flowers looking beautiful, longer.
1. After purchasing, remove all leaves from the lower part of the stem. If they submerge in the water, they will mold and kill the flowers quickly.
2. Cut your stems at an angle. This allows for more water to get to the flower.
3. Change the water every day (or at least every other day) as slimy, moldy water kills plants quickly.
4. Also, rinse the stems to remove the slime build up.
5. Every couple days, recut the bottoms (at an angle) to allow more water to reach the flower.
Follow these tips and you’ll have your flowers lasting for weeks. I purchased these flowers at Costco two weeks ago, and they still look fresh!
We love these simple tips that not only extend the life of beautiful tabletop decor but make our dollars go further as well!
Thank you, Kristin, for sharing your life-extending floral tips.
Do you have a funny, “Hip”, or unique tip to share?! Fill out our Happy Friday form. Every Friday, we post one submission by a Hip2Save reader (view past submissions) that gives us a glimpse into their frugal lifestyle or simply makes us smile. If yours is published on Hip2Save, we’ll email you a $10 Amazon eGift card!
Learn the Tips & Tricks to having your Happy Friday submission picked!
Ordering flowers?! Here are the best tips to save money!