3 Ingredient Apple “Dump” Cake
Looking for a delicious way to use up fresh apples?
Cut them up and try baking this super easy apple dump cake that uses just three main ingredients! Dump cakes are some of the easiest dessert recipes around because essentially you’re are just using a box of cake mix and a melted stick of butter to dump over fruit!
There really are so many fruit versions you could try, and this apple version is a perfect fall dessert to make for the family!
Once baked, the butter caramelizes over the cake mix and fruit to create a gooey warm cake-like dessert that is magical especially when topped with some vanilla ice cream! The cinnamon apples are perfectly soft, while the yellow cake is sweet and browns nicely at the top.
Tips for making the BEST apple dump cake:
- I used red gala apples, and it turned out delish. I am sure you could use other similar varieties instead.
- If you wanted to use canned apple pie filling, I’m sure that’d be wonderful and easy as well.
- It’s an optional step to peel the apples. We have made it both ways and decided that we love the texture better peeled. I have an inexpensive stainless steel kitchen peeler like this one that works great for apples.
- The water from the apples should soak in with the cake mix but if you’re noticing the cake mix isn’t completely cooking, just sprinkle a little water over those areas and put back in the oven.
- I think this dessert tastes best when served warm with vanilla ice cream. The reheated leftovers are delicious as well.
Easy Apple Dump Cake
prep time: 10 MINUTES
cook time: 45 MINUTES
total time: 55 MINUTES
Easy apple cake that can be made with little effort!
- 15 oz box yellow cake mix
- 6 apples, sliced & peeled (about 6 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
I love this yummy mash-up of apple pie and yellow cake!
This is a simple dessert that my family loved and is so easy my now older kids can make by themselves even! We love clever cake mix hacks like this. Another perk – it makes the house smell amazing and so comforting!