Save BIG by Buying Seasonal Produce + Find Out What’s In-Season In YOUR State This Month
Want to SAVE on fresh produce? BUY in season! 🍎
You likely know that seasonal food is fresher, tastier and more nutritious than food consumed out of season. But, not only is in-season produce better tasting – it’s also cheaper since it’s most plentiful!
Even though we all like to eat strawberries year-round, the best time to eat them is when they can be purchased directly from a local grower shortly after harvest – they’ll taste better and the price will be nicer on your wallet too. Plus, according to Season Food Guide, seasonal fruits and vegetables produced on local farms are often fresher as they do not require long distances for transport.
Also, crops picked at their peak of ripeness are also better tasting and full of flavor (unlike out of season produce which is harvested early in order to be shipped and distributed to your local retail store). Plus, studies have shown that fruits and vegetables contain more nutrients when allowed to ripen naturally on their parent plant as its starch is converted into sugar, making it softer and sweeter!
With November just around the corner, you may be wondering what produce items will be in season? Although this will vary by state, a few foods that will be in season here in Texas are Apples, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Cantaloupe, Carrots, Celery, Cilantro, Citrus, Cucumbers, Green Beans, Kale, Peas, Peppers, Pumpkins, Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes, Winter Squash, Zucchini and more!
Here are a few recipes using November’s in-season produce:
- Apple & Grape Waldorf Salad (APPLES)
- Caramel Apple Slices on a Stick (APPLES)
- Cinnamon Apple Monkey Bread (APPLES)
- Apple “Dump” Cake (APPLES)
- Cream Cheese Caramel Apple Spread (APPLES)
- Bacon Wrapped Brussels Sprouts (BRUSSEL SPROUTS)
- Buffalo Brussels Sprouts (BRUSSEL SPROUTS)
- Easy Roasted Brussels Sprouts (BRUSSEL SPROUTS)
- Green Chile Cabbage Enchiladas (CABBAGE)
- Broiled Cinnamon Ginger Grapefruit (GRAPEFRUIT)
- Blender Lemon Pie (LEMONS)
- Pumpkin Bread (PUMPKINS)
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Monkey Bread (PUMPKINS)
- Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oatmeal (PUMPKINS)
- Pumpkin 4 Layer Dessert (PUMPKINS)
- Pumpkin “Dump” Cake (PUMPKINS)
- Pumpkin Pie Dip (PUMPKINS)
- Pumpkin Roll (PUMPKINS)
- Pumpkin Spice Fudge (PUMPKINS)
- Pumpkin Spice Mug Cake (PUMPKINS)
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin & Ground Turkey Chili (PUMPKINS)
- No-Stress Perfect Pumpkin Pie Recipe (PUMPKINS)
- Ranch Seasoned Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (PUMPKINS)
- Butternut Squash Soup (SQUASH)
- Squash Hash with Chicken, Apples and Bacon (SQUASH & APPLES)
- Zucchini Pizza Casserole (ZUCCHINI)
- Baked Zucchini Fries (ZUCCHINI)
- Gluten-Free Zucchini Banana Bread Recipe (ZUCCHINI)
Want to know what will be in season in your state? Go HERE!
Written by Mary for Hip2Save. Mary is a proud mom to 3 kids in Austin, TX, who thrives off Jesus, running long distance, bargain shopping, warm Texas weather, a yummy latte…and a little Candy Crush from time to time. She also loves quality time with family & friends and sharing great deals with others.