Homemade Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments (Fun & Easy Holiday Craft for Kids!)
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
If you’re looking for a fun and easy craft to do with the kiddos for the holidays, try these creative and frugal homemade ornaments using just applesauce and cinnamon for the dough. They turn out so cute and leave your home smelling like Christmas! 🙂
For this craft, you’ll need:
- 2 – 3oz. containers of ground cinnamon (try the dollar store!)
- 1 cup applesauce
- white puffy paint (I found mine at Walmart for just $0.99!)
- 3 inch holiday cookie cutters
- 1 drinking straw
- ribbon or baker’s twine
- In a bowl, combine cinnamon and applesauce. Mix well into a dough using a spoon at first and then use your hands. Add more applesauce a teaspoon at a time if it’s too dry. Roll out dough until it’s about 1/3 inch thick. For easier cleanup, I rolled mixture out between two sheets of nonstick parchment paper – you could also use plastic wrap.
- Cut out shapes and place on a baking sheet just like you would for cookies. Continue to roll out the dough to get as many cut-outs as possible. Use a drinking straw to make a hole near the top of each cut-out. Bake at 200 degrees for 2.5 hours (your home will smell amazing!). If you prefer not to bake, you can opt to let them air dry for 2-3 days. After completely cool, embellish with white puffy paint and tie with ribbon or baker’s twine to hang on tree. Makes around 15 ornaments.
My kids and I had a blast crafting these this weekend and I love having handmade keepsake ornaments for our Christmas tree! Thanks to Hip2Save reader Jennifer for sending us this recipe and idea!!