(Hee! Hee! 🤣This picture may be from an April Fools post we did.)
Ain’t no shame in our diaper saving game.
Did you know that (on average) babies go through around 2,700 disposable diapers per YEAR? Yikes! 😜 Save money when shopping for disposable diapers with our definitive guide.
1. Aim for an average of $0.15 or less per diaper.
Thanks to helpful tools like the Diaper Calculator, you can estimate usage by week for how many diapers your baby will need. From there, you can view how many of each size will be used within the first year, thus helping you gauge your stock up amount. Granted, all babies are unique, and these numbers could vary slightly, but you’ll get a rough idea of how many diapers you’ll need. This tool also helps you avoid ending up with too many of one size only to outgrow them.
The price per diaper will vary based on the size (usually, the smaller the baby, the cheaper the diapers). However, on average, aim to stay below $0.15 per diaper. Have a calculator handy (or more realistically, your smartphone) to figure out the per diaper cost before making a purchase.
Here are our stock up diaper prices for name-brands:
2. Shop the drugstores and discount stores.
Skip the grocery stores and head to where the deals are! Many drugstores often have sales that can be combined with coupons, along with the potential to earn rewards through their loyalty programs.
Here are a just a few *HOT* previous diaper deals:
Or, if you have an ALDI nearby, you can score fantastic deals on their highly rated store brand diapers – no coupons needed! Because of their shorter hours, fewer product options, streamlined checkout, and exclusive brands, ALDI is able to offer baby items for significantly less than their competitors.
3. Bigger is not always better.
You might be thinking that warehouse stores would always be the sweet spot for diaper savings, right? Well… only sometimes. Buying in bulk can save you a lot of money whenever you’re buying warehouse store brands, shopping the monthly Instant Savings deals (like these previous Costco Huggies deals or these Sam’s Club Pampers deals), or are able to find unadvertised diaper deals.
However, the game changes when you factor in high value coupons (especially with no size limit!), store sales, gift card promotions (hello Target!), or even everyday low prices (like this Luvs deal scenario at Walmart). Instead of using one coupon on a larger box of diapers (unless they’re on clearance), why not reduce the size and use three coupons to purchase three smaller packages?
Speaking of coupons, these sites often offer the best printable diaper coupons:
4. Automate your diaper delivery.
Having your supply of diaper delivered right to your doorstep sounds pretty dreamy, right? A godsend for parents, Amazon Family gives Prime members a whopping 20% off of diapers, baby food and more whenever you use Subscribe & Save (must subscribe to five or more products arriving on the same recurring delivery day to the same address). Plus, you can often stack the savings with exclusive diaper digital coupons!
That said, we advise ordering through Amazon only when there’s a hot deal (and you really need to take advantage of the home delivery) because otherwise, you can often save more with couponing elsewhere.
5. Return extras for larger diaper sizes.
If you end up with an extra pack of unopened diapers in a size your child has already outgrown, see if you can swap them for a bigger size at the store with your receipt. If not, try selling new, unopened packages on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace so you don’t totally lose out on the investment.
Also, avoid stocking up on larger sizes (like sizes 4, 5, and 6) until you know the rate at which you’re going through diapers. Since you could even end up potty training before using all your diapers, this would make the extras a waste of money unless you’re able to sell, gift, or return them.
6. Build an army of diaper shoppers.
Enlist the help of family and friends to purchase discounted diapers if you find a hot deal with a maximum limit. If they’ve had kiddos of their own, they’ll understand how crucial diaper savings can be! Sending them the deal scenarios you find on Hip2Save is an easy way to give them the step-by-step instructions on how to redeem the deal for you to later reimburse them.
Speaking of which…
7. Subscribe to Hip2Save Baby Deals!
After signing up to become a Hip2Save Insider, you can customize the email preferences in your account to receive our Baby Deals newsletter! Get updates any time we post amazing deals on your favorite baby products, including diapers! Simply head over here to sign up for Hip2Save Insiders and update your email preferences in your profile. Plus, join our Baby Deals page on Facebook!
And, of course, look for FREE diapers.
Check out some of these resources for potentially free diapers:
- Amazon Baby Registry: Create an Amazon baby registry and you’ll get a FREE welcome box filled with goodies for your little one (valued at up to $35) – including diapers!
- Target Baby Registry: Expecting? Consider making your registry with Target to not only give friends and family an easy and affordable place to shop for gifts but to also receive the welcome bag containing samples and coupons (along with diapers) valued at $100, all for FREE!
- Luvs Diapers for a Year contest: Bookmark this page to enter daily for a chance to win free diapers for a year! The monthly winners are announced on the Luvs Facebook page, where you’ll also find other fun content from the diaper brand.
- National Diaper Bank Network: If you have little ones at home but can’t afford diapers, check out NDBN, a website dedicated to getting diapers to those in need by helping individuals find diaper banks in their area. Check out this page for more info.
- Huggies Rewards: Sign up for this free rewards program from Huggies to receive a free pack of newborn diapers and earn rewards points through product purchases, surveys, games, and more! You can even redeem those points for diapers or gift cards!