5 Ways to Save Money on Oil Changes
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Time for an oil change?
Changing the oil and fluids on your vehicle is a regular and important part of owning a car, but it doesn’t have to cost a fortune. Save money on your oil changes with these coupons, deals, and tips! 🚘
Tips for before you change your oil:
- Know how often to change your oil. Look in your owner’s manual for exactly how many miles (or how much time) you should allow between oil changes. While many auto shops recommend getting your oil changed every 3,000 miles, it really depends on the vehicle’s age/make/model, since some cars today can drive 5,000, 7,500, or even 10,000 miles between oil changes. As an idea, older cars generally need the oil replaced sooner than newer cars.
- Watch for the service light on your dash. Some cars have a “service engine” light, while others show a symbol (sometimes an oil can). Generally, when the light comes on, it’s time to schedule an oil change (but a generic service light could also mean your car is due for a tire rotation or other car maintenance). Again, be sure to check your owner’s manual to see what maintenance your car needs based on your dashboard messages.
- Choose the right oil for you. Before buying oil or paying for an oil change, consult your user car’s manual or call your local dealer to see what type of oil you should put in your car. While synthetic fluid is more expensive, it usually lasts longer, can handle tougher conditions, and can weather higher temperatures so you can drive longer and further in between changes – in some cases up to 15,000 miles. (If you drive an older car, it may not be worth spending the extra money on synthetic oil).
Here are 5 easy ways to save money on oil changes:
1. Know where to find oil change coupons and deals.
Auto centers and lube shops often offer oil change coupons and other special offers to encourage you to visit them for your car’s needs. Below are lots of coupons and deals for various auto service centers nationwide, but please note that offers may change and can vary by location:
- Firestone – $24.99 standard oil change, $10 off Pennzoil high mileage or synthetic oil change, or $15 off Pennzoil full synthetic oil change
- Goodyear – $5 off oil change (includes free tire rotation)
- Jiffy Lube – $5 off signature service oil change
- Meineke – $19.95 basic oil change (may vary by location)
- Midas Auto Service & Tires – $29.99 conventional oil change or $10 off high mileage or full synthetic oil change (will vary by location)
- NTB – $5 off a conventional oil change or $10 off synthetic and full synthetic oil change
- Pennzoil – $10 off oil change
- Pep Boys – $10 off Quaker State conventional oil change, $20 off Pennzoil synthetic or high mileage synthetic oil change, or $10 off Pennzoil high mileage or semi-synthetic oil change
- Sears Auto Center – $22.99 conventional oil change, $37.99 high mileage oil change, or $52.99 full synthetic oil change
- Valvoline – $7 off full synthetic or synthetic blend oil change, or $5 off conventional oil change
- Walmart Auto Care Center – $19.88 pit crew oil change, $29.88 standard oil change, or $39.88 high mileage oil change
Did you just buy a new car?
If you recently purchased a new vehicle, some dealerships may throw in free oil changes for the first couple of years as an added perk – possibly to establish a relationship so you’re conditioned to visit them for all your car needs (especially for a more expensive repair). Still, it’s a great perk! Make sure to ask your dealer if they offer this service.
2. Shop local Groupon deals.
A great way to save on oil changes in your area is to visit Groupon.com and shop for coupon codes or sales valid on local oil change deals (pssst – if you’re a student or going back to school, you’ll save up to 25% off local Groupon deals just for being a student… no coupon needed!).
However, before purchasing a Groupon deal, be sure to compare the deal price/savings versus the coupons mentioned above – because, hey, free coupons! 🙌🏻 To see which oil change discounts are available near you, be sure to visit Groupon’s oil change deals.
Hip Tip: Don’t forget to shop Raise.com for oil change discounts at places like Jiffy Lube! Raise offers discounted gift cards for goods and services like oil changes (many from the retailers and service centers themselves) for up to 20% off!
3. Military, first responder, or over 55? Save on oil changes every day.
If you’re a veteran, active duty military personnel, first responder, or a senior citizen over the age of 55 (at select locations), many shops offer oil change discounts to show their appreciation and gratitude. Active military and veterans specifically can save on oil changes at the following participating locations with a valid military ID:
- Jiffy Lube – Veterans and active duty military get 25% off every day with proof of ID (excludes batteries and brakes, alignment, and diagnostic services)
- NTB – $18.99 conventional oil change, $54.99 full synthetic oil change, 10% off services, 10% off tires & wheels, and free flat repair on standard wheels.
- This offer is eligible for all active paramedics, emergency medical technicians, police officers, firefighters, and their spouses, as well as all active duty and reserve members of the US Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines, National Guard, and Coast Guard, and their spouses.
Also, be sure to check with your local business on select holidays, such as Veteran’s Day or Memorial Day, as they may offer veterans, active duty military personnel, and their families free oil changes.
Hip Tip: Stay up to date on the latest military deals and freebies by bookmarking our military deals page!
4. Watch for perks at Car Wash + Lube Centers.
Need an oil change and have a dirty car? 🙋🏼♀️ If you have a full-service car wash + lube franchise in your area, such as Mister Car Wash, you may be able to get a free car wash just by getting your oil changed at their location. While this may not be the cheapest route if all you need is an oil change, it is a convenient one-stop shop.
As an idea, a full service oil change using Mobil Special oil (helps extend engine life) at a Mister Car Wash starts at $39.99 (may vary by location) and includes up to five quarts of oil and a new oil filter, multi-point inspection, vehicle lubrication, top-off service, and a free car wash.
Even better, you can currently save $5 off a full-service oil change with this coupon, which means you can get a full-service oil change and a car wash for around $34.99. Considering a standard oil change at many auto shops costs $24.99 alone with a coupon or sale, this seems like a nice deal if you want to get your car all sparkled up, too. ✨
5. Change the oil yourself.
Finally, one of the best ways to save money on oil changes is to do the job yourself. While you will need to buy the motor oil, oil filter, and possibly other supplies to get the job done, you can generally save on the cost of labor when you change the oil yourself – especially when paired with various oil coupons, rebates, and sales.
Are you a Costco shopper? You can often stock up on select motor oil brands during their Instant Savings events and save big on multiple bottles of motor oil. Another great place to shop and save on motor oil? Walmart.
Not sure how to change the oil yourself? The procedure is relatively straightforward (there are many tutorials available on the web and YouTube to help you get started), and it can easily be done in less than an hour. That said, if you’re not sure what to do, find a trusted car care professional – just to be safe.