3 Ingredient Mock Mashed Potatoes

I am guessing some of you have heard of mock mashed potatoes. Basically they are “mashed potatoes” made with just cauliflower (and not potatoes). I personally have tried them and never thought they were very good. In my opinion they don’t even have close to the same texture or taste as regular mashed potatoes. So with that being said, I was very happy when my sis gave me this tip…

For every head of cauliflower you use, add in one sweet potato.

Literally adding in that one sweet potato makes all of the difference. I felt like I was able to enjoy “mashed potatoes” again. In fact, I think I enjoy these mock mashed potatoes even more than regular mashed potatoes. And that says a lot! :D

3 Ingredient Mock Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients:
1 medium sweet potato, peeled (or keep the skin on for extra fiber!)
1 head cauliflower
1/2 can of coconut milk

Directions:
Bake or steam sweet potato and cauliflower or use whatever method you like to make both veggies soft enough to mash. Throw sweet potato, cauliflower and a 1/2 can of coconut milk in a bowl. Use an immersion hand blender (love this thing!) or a masher to get to the consistency of creamy mashed potatoes. Season with salt and pepper… and then enjoy! So yummy!

…And I also want to mention that lots of the concoctions I create don’t always turn out as planned. An example of that would be today’s banana chocolate chip muffins that I made with almond flour. Hmmm….

But I was actually shocked when I took them out of the oven and tasted. Wow! They were amazing. Now to figure out how to make them actually look like muffins. Stay tuned… :)

• Desiree Heck says:

Forget what they look like, fill them up with something awesome and ENJOY!! You made them like that for a reason lol.

• angela says:

I have never been a fan of cauliflower mash, but have made mashed sweet potatoes with steamed carrots blended in and that was great!

• chrissymarie says:

I absolutely love that you are paleo. My husband never wanted to (naturally thin) and that’s all I do. Now with your posts he is interested. Thanks so much!!

• Pam T says:

Post the recipe I make muffins with almond flour once a week. Usually include golden flax, are these low card muffins of gf?

• Kate says:

I think you should just give them a new name like muff-innies! Then it’s like you did in on purpose.

• Ashley says:

I agree with the idea of filling the muffins with something :)

These tatoes sound yummy! I actually made the Jambalaya w/Cauliflower Rice tonight! My husband is not a fan of veggies, but he said he actually preferred the cauliflower over rice…..so it was a success!

• V llamas says:

I make mock mashed potatoes all the time. I add a regular potato or 2 to each head depending on the size. I also add garlic. After mashing them I add salt, pepper, and a dab of reduced fat sour cream. Yummy!

• Kay says:

I can’t take the mock potatoes either. But I don’t think I would like them with the sweet potato either. I’ve tried to like them, but not yet. I even tried Twice Baked Cauliflower (as in Twice Baked Potatoes). They were okay, but not as good as potatoes!

I’ve just bought some almond flour for the first time. I would be interested in some successful muffins — but usually the ones that fall taste the best!

• Em says:

Yummy! For an extra punch of nutrients and fiber add some kale! Just saute it a bit and mix it right on in! Also, pureed carrots are good if you don’t have sweet potatoes on hand!

• Kim says:

I actually make the cauliflower mock mashed potatoes for my bf who is on the low carb diet we all know. Whenever I’ve made them, they’ve come out ‘ok’, but not ‘wow!’. I did, however, stumble upon a cauliflower ‘risotto’ recipe that was so stinking yummy, he requested it again. The flavor was ahhhmazing and it mimicked the real thing so much, that I think had I put it on the kids’ plates, they may have just thought it was rice.
    I’ll have to look up the sweet potato to see if it’s ‘allowed’, but I’ll be anxious to try out this recipe.

• felicia says:

Collin, baking with almond flour and coconut flour takes practice. I found adding an extra egg, banana, and 1/4 cup coconut flour to my almond flour mufins made a big change. I make half without chocolate chips, and half with for my kids and our friends. It’s great to see their faces because people expect them to be gross, and they are shocked at how wonderful they taste! Keep it up and in no time I’m certian you’ll have a Hip2Paleo recipe book!

• Meaghan says:

Collin those muffins look like most of my cupcakes!! I’ve been trying for 3 years to make a good eggless cupcake for my son with an egg allergy. They always taste fine but I have only once made a really good batch that didn’t sink in the middle while cooling. Luckily I can fill it in with frosting to cover it up lol!!!! But I would love to make a normal looking cupcake all the time!

• tiffany says:

What a great way to trick my husband into eating cauliflower! :)

• Emily says:

Collin, I am on a gluten free diet. Maybe you could try a tsp of xanthan gum to your recipe the next time. The gluten free flours need a bit of “leavening” to help the baked good get fluffy. Good luck!

• laura says:

Where do you find the xanthan gum? And do you know of any other substitutes by chance?

• Beth B. says:

what exactly is xanthan gum? I’ve seen it in a few things at Harry’s and Whole Foods. Thinking it’s not paleo friendly, but I’m not sure?

• Emily says:

Xanthan gum (or guar gum) is a “leavening” agent that helps gluten free baked good rise or get fluffy like gluten-containing items. Gluten is a protein in some grains that gives dough it’s stretchiness. If you’ve ever handled gluten free bread dough, it’s not at all like regular dough that you can knead. By adding one or the other of these gums, it helps gf products taste more like what we think of as “normal.”
        I’ve found both guar gum and xanthan gum at the grocery in the health food section, or gluten free section.
        Hope this helps!

• Melnda says:

Instead of Xanthan Gum, we typically use Guar Gum. Same “rising” results but much less spendy…

• Erin says:

I make my cauliflower mash (that’s what we call it) by steaming cauliflower in some homemade chicken stock (~1c per head). After it’s done steaming, I dump out the broth into a holding bowl and start “mashing” with the emulsion blender. Slowly add back stock until you hit your desired consistency.

I’ve quickly learned that adding stock to almost anything makes it a little more flavory. :)

On the same note, I feel like the thing we are constantly making is chicken stock! I boil chicken at least every other weekend!!! We’ve started using so much stock, that I don’t even bother freezing… We just keep it in a Rubbermaid jug in the fridge!

• Mila says:

Would love the recipe to those muffins :)

• Shanna says:

I made some mocked mashed potatoes a few nights ago and wanted to see if I could fool my son….and I did! He loved them and once I’m out of potatoes I think I will just stick to them. Anyway to get veggies in him!

• Kristin says:

Collin… Ive made mashed cauliflower for years now. I make mine with my food processor. I boil it til soft and drain then dump it into processor with milk butter and a tad of sea salt and pepper. I swear they are so creamy and fluffy u cannot tell. I fact my uncle thought they were mashed potatoes on thanksgiving when making his plate. Lol. :)

• Beth C says:

I too use organic chicken stock in my faux mashed potatoes. And I’ve heard these are good. http://www.robbwolf.com/2011/04/21/recipe-paleo-banana-bread/

• Jo says:

Looks so yummy! I have this recipe on my fridge but we were too scared to try it. We will definitely try it with the sweet potato added! Thanks for the tip.

Does anyone know if you substitute coconut flour in recipes that call for the almond flour do you use the same amount? I had read coconut flour goes a long way so use half of regular flour, but not sure how it compares to almond. We have nut allergies and so I was told we could use the coconut instead since it’s not really a nut. Thanks in advance.

• victoria says:

love, love, love cauliflower mashed ‘potatoes’! i usually put horseradish in them for a bit of a kick and garlic, too. yummers. if you give them a go in the blender or use an immersion blender they get a nice, creamy consistency, too.

• Olga says:

Just to make sure: are we speaking about yams (the orange ones) or sweet potatoes (the yellow ones) here?

• Maegen says:

I’m trying to figure out why it need coconut milk.
    Is that a dopey question?

• Da says:

Try Japanese Sweet Potato! I buy them from Whole Foods Market. It tastes amazing. You cannot go back to the old sweet potato anymore. They are red-brown outside, white with slight grey-yellow tone inside. When you cook them, they turn beautiful yellow.

• MamaJ says:

Collin, can you taste the coconut in it? I love all your new Paleo recipes. Thanks for sharing w/ us!

• Kim says:

That coconut milk isn’t that a high calorie item? Can’t use 2%?

• marie says:

I had to laugh when I saw the muffins because I can wholeheartedly relate. Much of my baking looks just like that!(: I’m sure they tasted good though!!

• andrea says:

martha stewart has an article in Aprils “Living” Ask Martha section that explains why cakes sink in the middle….may be the same for muffins? She say’s it is a flour to leaven ratio. “For every cup of flour there should be one teaspoon of baking powder or quarter teaspoon of baking soda” maybe this will help!

• Gil says:

If you’re dining out, try Ruby Tuesday for the mock mashed potatoes. I eat low-carb and they do them really well.
    RT also has a new selection on their menu, where you can get the salad bar and 2 sides-PERFECT for low-carb/ low cal dining.

• Cheryl says:

Collin – I can’t thank you enough for this recipe. I love,love love mashed potatoes. However I also have not been satisfied with the cauliflower mashed potatoes yet. I am anxious to try this recipe!

• heather b says:

COLLIN-try a muffin top pan instead of a regular deeper style muffing pan next time :)

• andrea says:

The best kind of sweet potato I have ever tasted is Oriental Beauty. They can be hard to find but they are so good!! The skin is almost a ruby and the inside is white, but firmer than other sweet potatoes and much more flavorful.

• Lori says:

Baking soda should make them rise.

• Brandy says:

Here’s an awesome vegan Chocolate Banana Zucchini Bread (I made them as muffins). I couldn’t keep my kids from gobbling them down! Not too sweet too, which I liked.

If you’re not egg-free, you can use 2 eggs in place of the flax mixture

• Kimberly Anderson says:

Collin,
    I’ve used coconut flour along in my muffins and it really makes them puff up:). There’s a book on amazon all about cupcakes and muffins made with coconut flour if you’re interested:). Hope this helps!

• midget says:

Ewww, mashed cauliflower? I love cauliflower, but in florets, so I can identify what I’m eating. But then i also don’t see that mashed potatoes are appealing enough to make a fake version.

• LC says:

Can anyone tell me how much this makes? Is this recipe enough for a family of 3 w/ some left over? Thanks!