Comforting & Easy Ginger Tea Recipe

I am feeling a bit under the weather today. OK, a lot under the weather today. I have a sore throat, watery eyes, congestion… yes, wonderful symptoms. ;) So I am planning to take it easy this weekend and get some much-needed rest.

If you also have these symptoms or have someone in your household with similar symptoms, you should try out this comforting tea recipe. And the best part, it’s easy to make and only requires a couple of ingredients. It also seems to really help if you are dealing with a sore throat.

Comforting & Easy Ginger Tea Recipe:

* Grate 2 teaspoons of ginger
* Boil 2 cups of water
* Put the grated ginger into the boiling water
* Let steep for 10 minutes or so
* Strain water and ginger mixture into a large mug (use a fine mesh strainer if you have one)
* Add fresh lemon juice and honey (or another sweetener of your choice)
* Enjoy!

Note that this ginger tea is very strong and may burn a little when swallowed. I actually don’t mind the strong taste. However, if you do, you can always use less ginger or add more water and adjust as needed.

• Amy says:

Wonder how this would do for an upset stomach….will have to try. Thanks for posting, Collin! We appreciate your dedication, even when you’re sick. Get better soon!! :)

• Em says:

It will help that too! Ginger is a wonderful natural medicine

• Margie says:

When I was suffering with morning sickness, one of the first things they told me was to try tea with ginger in it. If something can take away morning sickness (which lasted until the evening), then I’m sure it will help a normal upset stomach! :)

• Donna Shelley says:

Ginger does wonders for tummy upset!! This receipe is one I already have, and use it not only when I am feeling cold symptoms or tummy upsets, but as suggested, I reduce the amount of ginger,add a bit of cinnamon as well,for a very tasty hot tea.Gingerale works very good for indigestion and heartburn. If you have a SodaStream or just plain unflavvored carbonated water, you could use this recipe,reducing the amount of ginger slighly and make your own gingerale.

• Mar says:

Ginger is known for its calming effects. My doctor recommended me eating ginger because I easily nauseate. So I started doing ginger tea and also eating all natural ginger candy’s. I Love Ginger. But a friend of mine from Cuba told me that Ginger was not only a great natural candy to them but also said they use it a lot when they are sick from cold,sinus or sore throat.

• irene says:

Ginger always makes me feel better. I’m a bit under the weather myself. Just made shot toddy with a splash of whiskey. Feeling pretty good right now! :)
    Hope you feel better soon, Collin!

• Ashley says:

Thanks for the recipe! Everyone in my house has a terrible cold. I thought I was going to luck out and not get it (even though my 1yr old and 2 1/2 yr old were hit HARD), but alas, it got me a couple days ago.

Feel better and get some rest Collin!!!

• shannon says:

Collin, feel better..you are so kind to think about us even when you are sick and caring for yourself.

• jiya says:

Hope u get well soon collin!!

• Shirley says:

Tip for grating ginger:
    I grate ginger for a “Sassy Water” recipe and instead of a grater I bought a small white porcelain flat grater (just for that) at Bed Bath and Beyond for $4.99 (less a 20% coupon of course!) – works MUCH better and easier than a regular grater and you also can capture some of the ginger juice! :)
    Sure hope you are feeling better soon, Collin. Rest and relax – you deserve it! :)

• sara says:

Great tip!! thanks for taking the time to share! You are part of the reason I like this site so much. :)

• Lori says:

Yes! Thanks for the tip on the grater. BTW, if you sign up for emails with Bed, Bath & Beyond, they will immediately email you a 20% off coupon to use in the store.

• Yasuko Jung says:

I hope you’ll feel better soon, Collin!!

• Cindy says:

Hope you are better soon. I was at the doctor yesterday for bronchitis AGAIN. I have asthma and get bronchitis frequently. Already feeling better today. Get lots of rest. That seems to help the most!

• grace says:

are you on vitamin D? (like 5,000 IUs/day for adults)… my daughter has asthma, and it made a HUGE difference for her! HTH =)

• Ang says:

As soon as I feel a cold coming on I take zinc and vitamin C pills. The zinc prevents the virus from replicating and the vitamin c boosts your immune system. It is the same principle behind “Cold Ease.” If the virus has already been established and it replicating, it will just shorten your cold and if you have a “kick ass” immune system, you will just have a runny nose for a day or two. Seems to work for me. The vitamin c and zinc pills are much cheaper than cold ease.

• darlene says:

For the last 5 years i have done this or the coldzee (have gotten them cheap ) even working in a school I managed to stay cold free

• Suzy says:

Feel Better Collin !!

• tracy says:

i hope you feel better soon!

• Jennifer S. says:

Feel better soon Collin! I swear by Vitamin C packet (Emergen-C) and green tea. It always seems to knock out whatever creepy crud I get. As long as I catch it when symptoms first show up. Take care!

• Maria says:

I drink ginger tea whenever I feel a migraine coming. Love it!

• Delphine says:

You can add rose marry to the tea .hope u will feel better soon.

• Towana says:

Feel better and rest this weekend. Priority is your health and getting well.

• shanshan says:

Or you can just slice ginger, add water and dark brown sugar and bring to a boil, then simmer for 3-5 min. The amount of each ingredient/time to simmer is totally up to your taste. Drink it to get rid of cold, or prevent one if you feel one coming up. This is a very typical recipe in Chinese Medicine, and you don’t need to be sick to enjoy it.

• Donna says:

I echo a couple of the comments above. At the first sign of cold, I will use Vitamin C every few hours and the cold is gone so much sooner . Always works for me.

Also for anyone wanting a less strong ginger tea, steeping sliced (rather than grated) ginger will work as well. Ginger is very pungent to say the least. :)

Feel better.

• Steph says:

sorry, I have never bought ginger. Do you have to peel it before you shred it?

• mel says:

whenever I start to feel something coming on, I start taking Sambucol. IDK how, but taking 1 tab every 3 hrs, knocks whatever is attempting to attach itself, right out of my system! Havent’ been sick yet (knock on wood!!)

• Pat says:

I always do this too,and I haven’t had a cold or flu for over 6 years now. And I am the substitute they call when everyone else is sick in school. I really dont have time to have another job so I just go in when needed.

• irene margaret cruickshank says:

Hi what is Sambucol

• Mae :o) says:

I have taken tons of those tabs, and sadly they haven’t done anything for me. What does work is taking the main ingredient in its more original form: black elderberry extract. Like a 1 oz dropper bottle from Herb Farm — closest thing to having your own garden! ;) Put a few drops in your beverage and your good to go!

• Jen B. says:

Hope you feel better, Collin! I had the same thing and it lasted about 3 weeks of December :( Be careful with the sore throat- mine just would not go away after 2 weeks of misery with it. I shouldn’t have needed antibiotics because it wasn’t strep throat, but it turns out they were the only thing that finally made it go away (my doctor gave me Augmentin). Don’t suffer with it as long as I did; it was so hard to eat and drink and it made me really cranky, lol (especially with a husband and son who had it too)! Hope the ginger tea helps you. Now go get some rest :)

• CW says:

Ditto Jen B.! I’ve had the same thing since Dec 20 and I’m still not quite at the end of it. It required two rounds of antibiotics for me as well as 3 different versions of prescription cough meds. Its a nasty one! Don’t let yourself suffer for sure!

• Lindsay says:

I have the same thing. Had it since Christmas Eve. My son got it from daycare and passed it to me. Doc gave me Augmentin and cough meds also, but not really working, slowly getting better day by day. Now today my son came home from daycare with a runny nose and fever, now the past couple hours I can feel my throat starting to hurt again, ugh!

Guess i’ll try this tea :(

• Kathy says:

I hope you feel better soon. I can’t stand tea (the flavor) or any hot drinks, so when I am sick those types of options are out for me. I wish I liked them, but have tried and can’t get myself to “like” them.

• spice says:

Me too don’t like tea(any kind). But for that U can grate ginger & squeeze it’s juice(around 1 tsp.) mix it with some honey & take that . Repaet 2-3 times in a day.

Right now, I’m on garlic dose, yes under the weather :) . Chop a small garlic pod(around 1/2 to 1 tsp.) swallow it with water once in the morning & once in the night. does help.

Here’s a link for home remedies I rely on :

spice

• Rachel says:

Feel better!

• casey lantigua says:

My husband is from the Dominican Republic and they use this “tea” all of the time. They just cut up the ginger, boil it and add it to a cup with honey and maybe some sugar. I’ve been making it for the last 8 years and works! Drink up and feel better. :)

• Sara says:

Hope you feel better but in the meantime are getting pampered by the family!

• Laura Johnson says:

I’m kinda sick too. Honey and lemon for me…but I think I’ll try this recipe too. Feel better soon!

• BeckyBell says:

Thanks for the recipe! Hope you feel better! I bought a lot of ginger tea when I was pregnant the first time. I’ll try making it next time to save money. It’s great for morning sickness.

• Mae :o) says:

So thrilled to see you highlighting this. ;)

• Rajya says:

Thanks for all you do Collin! I drink the same tea as you do and it works for me every singe time, Hope you feel better soon.

• Starla says:

Sorry you feel yucky. Hope you get plenty of rest and TLC from your family!

• Michelle says:

I’m torn….I want to wish you a speedy recovery, but I don’t want to post anything that you have to read when you should be resting. Please take care of you!! :)

• Kelly says:

I hope you feel better soon Collin!

• Lindsay says:

I need to try this, I’ve been sick since Christmas Eve. I’ve been to the doctor and got meds, i’ve tried everything!

• Mae :o) says:

You can also try these…

COLDS: golden seal lozenges, peppermint, elderberry, lemongrass, green tea, vitamin C, any citrus fruit, garlic, onions

FLUES: cranberry juice, black tea, pomegranate, cinnamon, beet extract

• Traci says:

XO feel better soon!

• Amanda says:

Just made this for my husband who has a runny nose, we had all the ingredients handy so I figured it couldn’t hurt! Thanks!

• Jennifer C says:

I hope you’re feeling better soon, Collin! Get some rest! :)

• Kasia says:

Hope you feel better! Some nasty flu is coming around. Thanks for sharing the ginger tea recipe. Will try it out when flue strikes our household ;)

• Lori says:

I like all of your “healthy” posts! Thanks for taking the time to share this! I also had fun ordering the Tropical Traditions items!

• bhw says:

Collin,

I am sure I speak for a lot of your Hip2Save readers when I say, “Take the weekend off!” We know you are under the weather, so take time for yourself, relax and get better!

Coupons and savings can wait–your health is more important!!! :-)

• Heather C. says:

I agree wholeheartedly! Please take the day off to rest! Or at the least just take it very easy today. If you’re anything like me, even if you ARE sick, you still can’t help but work a little bit. ;)

• Angela says:

Oh man. Feel better! Thanks for the recipe. I hope you can get a ton of rest and that you feel like a new person Monday.

• Jean choi says:

Another thing to do so that you always have it on hand is to slice lemons and ginger and put the slices in a glass jar (I use a large mason jar). Then fill the jar with honey. The longer it sits the more the ingredients meld together. To serve, pour a couple spoonfuls into a mug and fill with water. When the honey is running low (and there is more ginger and lemon left than honey), just top the jar with more honey. It’s nice because I always have it quick and ready to drink.

• Mar says:

Feel better Collin. I’m a nature freak so when I’m coming down with something I do alot of vitamin C if I can get it in powder form that is great. Lots of water to flush everything out and keep your body hydrated. Fruits and veggies are great for you :)

• maflies1 says:

Just reading this! Wow, what a wealth of info from everyone. Thank you to all the readers, and to Collin for posting this topic that will/has helped many I am sure. Love your site, Collin!