HIP’s Summer Challenge Week #3: Picking Strawberries at Local Idaho Farm
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
For Week #3 of HIP’S Summer Challenge, we headed to a local farm right outside of Boise, Idaho to do a little berry picking! Specifically – we were picking Organic Strawberries. And the best part, they were only $1.50 per pound! I thought that this was a fantastic price for fresh, organic strawberries.
To find a local farm that offered the option to pick your own fruit, I headed over here to search for farms in my area. We then piled the kids in the car and headed out for an afternoon of picking fruit. On the way to the farm, we all discussed the different items that we could make with strawberries – strawberry jam, strawberry shortcake, strawberry lemonade, strawberry pancakes etc.
Much to my delight, the kids had so much fun on the farm filling up their boxes with fresh strawberries. My kids have only visited a handful of farms over their lifetime so this excursion provided such a neat opportunity for them to make a connection between the strawberries found in the grocery store and where the strawberries are actually grown.
* Dress appropriately and bring sunscreen!
* Note that depending on the time of year, the farms in your area will offer different fruits and vegetables. If you are wanting to pick a specific fruit/veggie, be sure to call ahead to confirm that this item is in season and available as a “pick your own” item.
* Call ahead to confirm the hours of operation. I discovered that many of the farms in my area are without web-sites and/or their web-sites only had very minimal information. For this reason, I strongly encourage you to call before making a special trip to ensure that they will be open. You’ll also want to ask if you need to bring your own boxes/buckets or whether they are supplied by the farm.
* Ask about the cost in advance and available methods of payment. Many farms only take cash so keep this in mind.
* Pick enough to make the trip worthwhile! We drove quite a ways to get to the farm and ended up picking about 8 total pounds of strawberries.
* Talk to your kids about how cool it is to support a local farm!
* And most important of all – make it fun! We had a contest to see who could find the largest Strawberry. 😀
Final Cost = $12 for 8 pounds of Organic Strawberries
Have you ever been to a “Pick Your Own” farm before?! If so, share your experience with us!
HIP’s Summer Challenge
Every Monday throughout this summer, I will be publishing a Weekly Post centered around different activities that I have personally done with my 3 kiddos (ages 6, 8, and 11) for around $10 or less. You can check out previous Summer Challenge posts here:
HIP’s Summer Challenge Week #2: Making Monsters University Scarers
HIP’s Summer Challenge Week #1: Bowling for Free