DIY Stacked Herb Garden
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Looking for an easy DIY Spring project for your backyard or patio?
Try growing your own herbs in this DIY stacked potted herb garden. Not only will it spruce up your outdoor space, but it’s also a convenient and frugal way to incorporate your own homegrown herbs into cooking!
This is a great project if you have mismatched pots lying around – the basic idea is to find three different sized pots to use as a tower and then to use two small sized pots (empty paint cans work too!) upside down for height and to stabilize the planter. Consider painting all your pots in the same color like I did for a more uniform look.
Stacked Herb Garden:
- 5 pots of varying sizes to create a tower (plastic or terra cotta will work)
- Potting soil
- Herbs or flowers (For my planter I used basil, parsley, cilantro, and mint.)
- Plastic garden markers (I opted to use plain markers from Home Depot)
- black craft paint
- white paint pen
- Paint for painting mismatched pots (if desired)
- Paint the pots (if desired) and let dry.
- Start with the largest pot at the bottom and place an upside down small pot on the inside.
- Add potting soil and plant first tier of herbs around the outside of pot. Continue on with the same method for the second and third tier.
- When done, you’ll have three tiers of herbs.
- Finish by dipping plain, plastic garden markers in paint and using a permanent paint pen to write the names of herbs.
My herbs lasted for almost the entire summer last year with normal watering – the basil and mint definitely lasted the longest. This year, I chose to fill my pots with $10 worth of annual flowers and I think they turned out great! This DIY Stacked Garden would also make a great Mother’s Day Gift!
Written by Lina for Hip2Save. Lina is a proud mom of 2 small kids who loves photography, all holidays, cooking, thrift store makeovers, bargain shopping, and DIY makeovers. Her goal is to create a beautiful life and stylish home on a dime! Check out all of Lina’s DIY/CRAFTS and RECIPES created just for Hip2Save.