Easy Patriotic Tie-Dye Shirts
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
If you’re looking for a fun craft this summer to do with the kids, try making some patriotic tie-dye shirts using this easy and cute swirl technique! These festive shirts are perfect to wear for the 4th of July and all summer long.
I recommend using this convenient Tulip Mini Liquid Tie-Dye Fabric Dye Kit-Patriot. All you have to do is fill the bottle with water and then use the gloves and rubber bands included in the kit. I was able to complete 2 shirts with one kit and still had dye left over after creating the 2 shirts.
Patriotic Tie-Dye T-Shirts
- White Cotton Shirt – pre-washed
- Mini Tie-Dye Kit in Blue & Red
- Start with a damp, prewashed shirt, and lay it out flat.
- Figure out where on the shirt you want the swirl design and start pinching and turning the shirt into a flat spiral. I found using a fork was helpful.
- Use a rubber band to secure the side and then use a few more rubber bands over the middle creating six pie shapes.
- Make sure to protect your workspace by covering it with plastic.
- Fill your bottles of dye with water and start applying dye on the fabric while alternating colors.
- Let shirts dry for 6-8 hours or even longer for deeper colors.
- Rinse shirt in the sink to get off excess dye.
- Place in the washing machine and wash by itself in a large load with a small amount of detergent and then dry.
- You’ll want to wash it alone for the first couple washes after that.
I love how these shirts turned out and my kids really enjoyed making them!